Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

My hope is Seattlecruiselover et. al are still out there and won't mind entering into the Department of Redundancy Department when it comes to helping us plan a half-day, one night stay in Seattle(sorry at 60-something pages, I can't seem to find the "magic" page to start at) .......

1) We(2 adults) booked thru Princess & are scheduled to arrive at Seattle/Tac. at 12:10PM on Saturday 8/23. My hope is we make it to our hotel, the Seattle Westin on 5th Avenue downtown, by 2PM. Sound right if the flight is on time and no volcano erupts??

2) Can you help with a quick itinerary that includes the Space Needle and Pike's market? In essence, a Sat. late afternoon stroll, time for a break, then a stroll for dinner. At least that is the plan.

3) Are the Argosy cruises a good way to spend the evening?

4) We are hearty breakfast lovers and wanted to know a good way to eat/stroll Sunday morning before the scheduled 11:45AM pick up time at the hotel. Suggestions??

5) Reserve restaurants when?? Now or just improvise? - I see Space Needle is already booked except for 2:30PM on Saturday arrival. Is it worth it?? My assumption is we will eat a breakfast before our flight and be ready to eat at 2:30. Should we go for it? Can we do a 9:30 brunch and be back at hotel by 11AM if we do the Needle Sunday instead of Saturday?

If anyone knows what page exactly on this thread to go to for this above, let me know so I can save you typing the same thing over!

Never been to Seattle. Thank you all.

Lois & Carol:

Executive Town Car Service raised their rates since I spoke with them a few months ago. It will cost us $63.25 to be picked up at the baggage claim area and taken to the Marriott. That includes the extra $!0 to meet at the baggage area and tax and tip. It costs $51.75 from the Marriott to the airport. I booked with them directly and spoke with Erik.

Sandy

Sandy, thanks for posting this for us:) I thought in 2 years

the price probably went up...but for what you get it is still

very reasonable:D

My hope is Seattlecruiselover et. al are still out there and won't mind entering into the Department of Redundancy Department when it comes to helping us plan a half-day, one night stay in Seattle(sorry at 60-something pages, I can't seem to find the "magic" page to start at) .......

1) We(2 adults) booked thru Princess & are scheduled to arrive at Seattle/Tac. at 12:10PM on Saturday 8/23. My hope is we make it to our hotel, the Seattle Westin on 5th Avenue downtown, by 2PM. Sound right if the flight is on time and no volcano erupts??

2) Can you help with a quick itinerary that includes the Space Needle and Pike's market? In essence, a Sat. late afternoon stroll, time for a break, then a stroll for dinner. At least that is the plan.

4) We are hearty breakfast lovers and wanted to know a good way to eat/stroll Sunday morning before the scheduled 11:45AM pick up time at the hotel. Suggestions??

5) Reserve restaurants when?? Now or just improvise? - I see Space Needle is already booked except for 2:30PM on Saturday arrival. Is it worth it?? My assumption is we will eat a breakfast before our flight and be ready to eat at 2:30. Should we go for it? Can we do a 9:30 brunch and be back at hotel by 11AM if we do the Needle Sunday instead of Saturday?

If anyone knows what page exactly on this thread to go to for this above, let me know so I can save you typing the same thing over!

Oh, I'm always here, or at least I will be until about midnight on the 12th of September, at which time my suitcases will be out in the hall and ready to depart for Terminal 30.

Please, no volcanoes.....if Rainier erupts, you won't be wanting to come to SEA anyway, between the lahars and the tidal wave....

2:00 might be a bit early to expect to be at the hotel, but probably not too much. The market is open until 5 on Saturday, so I would go there first. (The Space Needle is up late, if you know what I mean).

For dinner I highly recommend the Icon Grill, right across the street from the Westin. You can reserve now:

http://www.icongrill.com/

Their menus are on line for your perusal.

Argosy's last cruises, other than the dinner cruise are at about 3:30-4:00 pm, and the dinner cruise usually leaves between 4:30 and 5:00. However, if you are a canvas sail person like I am, there is a good "sunset" 2 hour cruise aboard a racing sloop that you might enjoy.

http://www.sailingseattle.com

Or, here is Argosy for you to check out, as well:

http://www.argosycruises.com

For breakfast on Sunday, I recommend the Daily Grill in the Sheraton at 7th and Pike (about five blocks from the Westin).

They open at 6 am and have an extensive menu, all of which is good and moderately priced:

http://www.dailygrill.com/details.php?loid=23

Or if you want to get really full, and all of it with good organic/natural food, run out the "back" door of the Westin and catch the northbound trolley in front of ther Bank of America and go here:

http://www.portagebaycafe.com/Home.html

You will want the South Lake Union cafe. Get off at the first stop after the trolley has turned onto Terry St and the cafe is about half a block north. Menus for both of these options are on their websites. Portage Bay does not accept reservations, but the Daily Grill does.

As far as I am concerned, the Space Needle is NOT worth it, and their food is even less so.....but that's just personal opinion.

Oh, I'm always here, or at least I will be until about midnight on the 12th of September, at which time my suitcases will be out in the hall and ready to depart for Terminal 30.

Please, no volcanoes.....if Rainier erupts, you won't be wanting to come to SEA anyway, between the lahars and the tidal wave....

2:00 might be a bit early to expect to be at the hotel, but probably not too much. The market is open until 5 on Saturday, so I would go there first. (The Space Needle is up late, if you know what I mean).

For dinner I highly recommend the Icon Grill, right across the street from the Westin. You can reserve now:

http://www.icongrill.com/

Their menus are on line for your perusal.

Argosy's last cruises, other than the dinner cruise are at about 3:30-4:00 pm, and the dinner cruise usually leaves between 4:30 and 5:00. However, if you are a canvas sail person like I am, there is a good "sunset" 2 hour cruise aboard a racing sloop that you might enjoy.

http://www.sailingseattle.com

Or, here is Argosy for you to check out, as well:

http://www.argosycruises.com

For breakfast on Sunday, I recommend the Daily Grill in the Sheraton at 7th and Pike (about five blocks from the Westin).

They open at 6 am and have an extensive menu, all of which is good and moderately priced:

http://www.dailygrill.com/details.php?loid=23

Or if you want to get really full, and all of it with good organic/natural food, run out the "back" door of the Westin and catch the northbound trolley in front of the Bank of America and go here:

http://www.portagebaycafe.com/Home.html

You will want the South Lake Union cafe. Get off at the first stop after the trolley has turned onto Terry St and the cafe is about half a block north. Menus for both of these options are on their websites. Portage Bay does not accept reservations, but the Daily Grill does.

As far as I am concerned, the Space Needle is NOT worth it, and their food is even less so (especially at the prices they want for both the elevator ride and the totally average food).....but that's just personal opinion.

Ok, so I'm still lost. Every website I go to has a different list of hotels near the Pier 30 landmark. And I seem to have forgotten what pier the Holland America ships will be sailing from next year.

When I go to name my price, which areas should I narrow the search down to? Should I stick close to pier 30 incase they DON'T move to the other pier? Should I find a place in between the two? Should I just STAY at the airport and plan transportation to the pier?

These are my options: I can click multiple locations.

• Bellevue - Redmond,
  • Bothell,
  • Downtown Seattle,
  • Everett,
  • Lake Union,
  • Lynnwood - Edmonds,
  • North Everett,
  • Renton - Kent,
  • Seattle Airport,
  • University of Washington - Northgate

I'm so lost. Thanks for all your help so far!

Ok, so I'm still lost. Every website I go to has a different list of hotels near the Pier 30 landmark. And I seem to have forgotten what pier the Holland America ships will be sailing from next year.

When I go to name my price, which areas should I narrow the search down to? Should I stick close to pier 30 incase they DON'T move to the other pier? Should I find a place in between the two? Should I just STAY at the airport and plan transportation to the pier?

• Bellevue - Redmond,
  • Bothell,
  • Downtown Seattle,
  • Everett,
  • Lake Union,
  • Lynnwood - Edmonds,
  • North Everett,
  • Renton - Kent,
  • Seattle Airport,

Except for Downtown Seattle and maybe Lake Union, those are all horrible

locations to stay before a cruise.

• Bellevue - Redmond,
  • Bothell,
  • Downtown Seattle,
  • Everett,
  • Lake Union,
  • Lynnwood - Edmonds,
  • North Everett,
  • Renton - Kent,
  • Seattle Airport,

Your best bet would be to book something in downtown Seattle. Terminal 30, which HAL uses this year is just south of downtown, and the closest hotel is not that close. The pier they are rumored to move to next year is just north of downtown. If you book something in the downtown area, you will be set either way, plus you then are in the middle of sightseeing opportunities.

• Bellevue - Redmond,
  • Bothell,
  • Downtown Seattle,
  • Everett,
  • Lake Union,
  • Lynnwood - Edmonds,
  • North Everett,
  • Renton - Kent,
  • Seattle Airport,

There are only two hotels in the area of Terminal 30; One is the Best Western Pioneer Square, in Pioneer Square. The other is the Silver Cloud Inn--Stadium. Both are within 2 miles of Terminal 30, and the Silver Cloud has a shuttle that might take you to Terminal 30.

Otherwise there is downtown Seattle, which is about 3-5 miles away, and most hotels do NOT have shuttles (though I believe the Spring Hill Suites on Pike has a contract shuttle that they can get you in with for a ride down to the pier).

If, however, they do move to Pier 91, Queen Anne is the closest area where there are any hotels, and they are about 3-5 miles away from Pier 91, and none of those hotels have shuttles to my knowledge. There are about four hotels in the area of Queen Anne: Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, Inn at Queen Anne, and the MarQueen.

Karen, what are some of the better seafood restaurants in the area. Preference given to those nearer the Westin.

Thanks!

David

David: Your best bet would be the waterfront, which is about a mile from the Westin, where you have any number of great choices: Anthony's, the Fisherman, Crab Pot and Ivars being the best among them.

Karen, I was planning to go to the Purple Cafe Wine Bar but

after reading your recommendation of the Icon Grill I think

I changed my mind:) :D

I am staying at the Westin...is it walkable?

ALL the menus looks fabulous:D

My wife and I are staying near the airport the night before our flight home. We want to spend the day seeing the Pike Street market, the underground tour, etc. Can you suggest parking locations? Not being familiar with Seattle I have no idea what is available.

Our party of 4 is debating tranportation back to the airport after disembarkation from Princess on Sept 20. The Grayline website says you ask a shore services representative for directions to your motor coach. You will be taken directly to SeaTac Airport. The charge is $18 pp. ($72 for 4 of us)

I contacted alreadythere towncar and I was told the ship usuallydocks at 7:00 AM, and passengers disembark between 7:30and 10:30 AM. If you call us at the number we give you once you are notified of exactly what time you will be disembarking. Then we can plan precisely what time you'll need a car. I will need you to call me again after you are on the ground, have passed through U.S. Customs, and have yourluggage. A car will be close by and should be able to meet you within about 5 minutes of your call. The Port of Seattle does not allow our drivers to park and wait for passengers within the terminal, so each of these calls from you will help ensure a prompt pick-up. The fare is $45 plus 20% gratuity ($54 for 4 of us.)

Questions: How convenient will the townecar pickup be, where do they wait as opposed to the location of hopping on the Grayline? Townecar may save $, but convenience is a factor.

Karen, I was planning to go to the Purple Cafe Wine Bar but

after reading your recommendation of the Icon Grill I think

I changed my mind:) :D

I am staying at the Westin...is it walkable?

ALL the menus looks fabulous:D

It's directly across the street at 5th and Virginia. Won't even get your shoes dirty.....:D And their food is GREAT.

Our party of 4 is debating tranportation back to the airport after disembarkation from Princess on Sept 20. The Grayline website says you ask a shore services representative for directions to your motor coach. You will be taken directly to SeaTac Airport. The charge is $18 pp. ($72 for 4 of us)

I contacted alreadythere towncar and I was told the ship usuallydocks at 7:00 AM, and passengers disembark between 7:30and 10:30 AM. If you call us at the number we give you once you are notified of exactly what time you will be disembarking. Then we can plan precisely what time you'll need a car. I will need you to call me again after you are on the ground, have passed through U.S. Customs, and have yourluggage. A car will be close by and should be able to meet you within about 5 minutes of your call. The Port of Seattle does not allow our drivers to park and wait for passengers within the terminal, so each of these calls from you will help ensure a prompt pick-up. The fare is $45 plus 20% gratuity ($54 for 4 of us.)

Questions: How convenient will the townecar pickup be, where do they wait as opposed to the location of hopping on the Grayline? Townecar may save $, but convenience is a factor.

T: They will meet you, the Marine, the Drifter and Ms H20 right out in front, same place as the buses.....

My wife and I are staying near the airport the night before our flight home. We want to spend the day seeing the Pike Street market, the underground tour, etc. Can you suggest parking locations? Not being familiar with Seattle I have no idea what is available.

I would strongly advise you to leave the car down by the airport and take the bus. Parking runs about $30 per day and there are no in and out privileges. You can take the route 194 or 174 from near the airport to downtown for $2. to $2.50 per person each way, depending on day and time, and there are plenty of buses downtown to get you to the attractions and back.

It's directly across the street at 5th and Virginia. Won't even get your shoes dirty.....:D And their food is GREAT.

Thanks,:) do you know if they have a bar/lounge area to eat in?

I really don't want to have to make a reservation unless it is

absolutely necessary.

Sandy, thanks for posting this for us:) I thought in 2 years

the price probably went up...but for what you get it is still

very reasonable:D

You're welcome, Lois. We had to cancel them for the post cruise stay since we changed flights and will be taking a ship excursion that will drop us off at the airport. We have been checking the arrival times of our particular flight and some days it comes in late, so we will be anxiously watching for someone with a sign with our name on it when we arrive. I'll try to report back when we get home.

Sandy

The two closest (directly next door and across the street) are the Edgewater and the Marriott Waterfront. You MIGHT find something at the Marriott for around 250, especially if you have points.

SeattleCruiselover,

Thanks for the suggestions! I found something at the Marriot. I did have some points but not enough so I just saved them!

SeattleCruiselover,

Thanks for the suggestions! I found something at the Marriot. I did have some points but not enough so I just saved them!

The bellmen at the Marriott are more than happy to help you across the street to the pier with your bags so, as my mother used to say, you are "in like Flynn".

Hi Karen

I'm looking into the Hilton Bellevue ... they seem to have good rates for the days that I'm considering. Some messages on Tripadvisor make it look like it's a stones throw away from Seattle.

Is it really that close and convenient?

Had to ask, because maps (esp Google) are inconsistent as far as true distance is concerned.

Thanks!

Hi Karen

I'm looking into the Hilton Bellevue ... they seem to have good rates for the days that I'm considering. Some messages on Tripadvisor make it look like it's a stones throw away from Seattle.

Is it really that close and convenient?

Had to ask, because maps (esp Google) are inconsistent as far as true distance is concerned.

Thanks!

It's a good 12-15 miles away from downtown Seattle, across Lake Washington. It's about an hour bus ride from town......

Archived