Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

I need to thank many of you who posted suggestions or recommendations here in the past months. I returned from a 14 day cruise to Alaska flying into Seattle then taking the Cascades train to Vancouver. Everything went so smoothly thanks to bits and pieces I gleaned from Cruisecritic and this page.

We stayed at the Sheraton Seattle, used J and S Towncars (recommended by someone here) from Seatac and the next morning to the train station arriving at 6:15 as was recommended here. The driver was Deepa who was extremely nice and very professional. I was so impressed when we arrived 20 minutes early and he was waiting at baggage pick up as we descended the escalator. The train had no possible upgrade to business but it worked out fine with the first come first served since we were there so early.I was shocked how quickly the station filled up. It was a lovely ride and very comfortable train. It was nice to see some of the countryside between Seattle and Vancouver and I had not been on a train since childhood and a first for my 33 year old daughter. (train hint- make sure your suitcase is 50# max because they will give you a box and you have to take stuff out to make the 50# limit- they will NOT take anything over 50 lbs.)

Our trip could not have been more fun and was trouble free thanks to the travelers that share their experiences here at Cruisecritic. I have learned so much here that now everyone wants me to plan their cruises. :-) Of course, I tell them go to Cruisecritic and read and learn from the folks that share the best way to cruise and travel.

Thank you everyone who had shared invaluable information,

Jean

Can you help me? We are flying into Seattle and will stay about 3 days just to enjoy the city. Then head to Vancouver to catch our ship. We'd like to do a train to Vancouver but take the Quick Shuttle back post cruise directly to the Seaattle airport. My question...

If we do the train from Seattle to Van. where is the train station in relation to downtown? We'll stay downtown near Pike's Market. Then where is the train station in relation to the port in Vancouver? Do we cab it to and from the train stations?

Thanks for any help!

Hi,:) I took the train from Seattle to Vancouver last month.

I stayed downtown (WESTIN) and it was about 11.00 to the

train station and that included my tip.

King Street Station is very well known so the cab drivers

know exactly where it is located.

When you arrive in Vancouver there are 2 choices of piers.

Canada Place and Ballenytine

It not more than 10 bucks to either place and there are cabs

out in front of the train station.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Search is down - US Air has changed our departure times from Seattle to Philly after our May cruise. Is 11 a.m. flight too early for departure after getting off the Star Princess? I don't think I've ever booked a return before noon on any of the cruises we have taken and I have never flown in or out of Seattle so don't know how far, traffic, etc. Thanks for the help. Need some input before I contact US Air about their changes (which in no way work for a cruise!)

I would not be comfortable with that early of a flight, especially considering next year Princess will be using Pier 91 which is farther from the airport than the pier they used this year. You might be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. Call back and get rebooked on a flight after 12 or later.

Search is down - US Air has changed our departure times from Seattle to Philly after our May cruise. Is 11 a.m. flight too early for departure after getting off the Star Princess? I don't think I've ever booked a return before noon on any of the cruises we have taken and I have never flown in or out of Seattle so don't know how far, traffic, etc. Thanks for the help. Need some input before I contact US Air about their changes (which in no way work for a cruise!)

IF you were in the taxi headed for the airport by 9:00 a.m., you could make an 11:00 a.m. departure out of Seatac with checked bags.

The 12:40 departure would likely be an easier fit. Either of those (11:00 a.m. or 12:40 p.m.) are United codeshare flights by the way. U.S. Air itself has a connection through Phoenix that departs SEA at 11:30 a.m.

A little update.

We recently returned from our repo, Seattle to Miami.

We left our vehicle parked at MVP, $220 for 20 days. Upon our return we called them from the airport, they came to pick us up, when we got to the lot our vehicle was sitting by the door, warmed up and ready to go.

Night before departure we stayed at the La Quintana, which was right across the street from MVP. They arrainged a limo to take us to the pier, $40 for three people.

We were more than happy with the service of both...

Hello, hoping that I can get some direction for the best way for 18-24 people to get from the Best Western Inn to the Amtrak train station in June 2009? If we have to go the route of taxi what is the usual fare per person? We have been advised to be at the train station around 6 am, so we will need something that is available at that time of day. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hello, hoping that I can get some direction for the best way for 18-24 people to get from the Best Western Inn to the Amtrak train station in June 2009? If we have to go the route of taxi what is the usual fare per person? We have been advised to be at the train station around 6 am, so we will need something that is available at that time of day. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Which Best Western? Makes a bit of a difference.

Hey Karen, I thought of you when I read this article. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27406956/

*sighs heavily*..........good thing I'm also an Ohio State fan, ain't it? Sports around here totally suck right now, though I have some hope with the M's new GM. The only thing that makes me happy is that I know that all of those fans in OKC are going to be feeling worse than I do. The "Blunder" look to be the losingest (yes, I know that's not a real word) team in the NBA this year.....

Sorry, it is the BW Executive Inn, near the Space Needle. Thanks, Susan

mmmmmk. Taxis would pretty much be out of the question because you would need about 12 of them, and that would be hard to come by at one time.

These people have a 20 passenger Hummer and a 24 passenger Escalade. They run between $200 and $250 per hour, but it would take less than an hour to get you to King Street Station from Belltown (though you would have to pay for a full hour). If you divide that up evenly between everyone, it would be a little over $10-15 per person. Think that might be the best you could do. If I think of anything else, I will post it here for you.

http://www.seattlecitylimo.com/rates.html

The only other option would be the Metro Bus, but you would have to leave about 5:00-5:15 am (catch the first bus out) to make it to the station in time to check your luggage, and getting on and off the buses (it would take at least one transfer to get there) would be a royal pain in the tush.

Late next May we will be sailing on Zaandam and returning to Seattle. Is there a rental car agency that rents from or near the pier?

Thanks for your help,

At Terminal 30 yes, but Holland will be sailing from Terminal 91 next year (about 6-8 miles north of Terminal 30), and I am unaware if Thrifty will be having a kiosk and shuttle up there or not. You might check with them to see if they know what their plans are vis a vis the move in terminals.

At Terminal 30 yes, but Holland will be sailing from Terminal 91 next year (about 6-8 miles north of Terminal 30), and I am unaware if Thrifty will be having a kiosk and shuttle up there or not. You might check with them to see if they know what their plans are vis a vis the move in terminals.

When we did the repo sailing of the Pearl on Sep 21st, we had rented from Thrifty to be returned there at the dock location. When we scoped it out the day before (we had the time and I like to be prepared), the sign had been taken down and the office was being cleared. The guy there indicated that we were about the last folks to be able to drop there since they were closing due to the ships moving up to Terminal 91. I don't remember if he said they would have another drop point or not for next year.

I just realized that I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I think NCL is pretty well set there at Pier 66. It's a nice facility.

Princess and HAL normally dock down at Pier 30, in the heart of the industrial zone. They, and any other line who use this terminal from time to time, will be the ones who will make the move north.

I just checked on-line and Pier 91 is designed to handle two cruise ships at once, just like Pier 30.

I rechecked my paperwork, and Thrifty was at Pier 48, in between the two (30 & 66). No idea where they'll be next year.

SeattleCruiseLover, can you comment on the chances of them actually being done by next summer?

I just realized that I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I think NCL is pretty well set there at Pier 66. It's a nice facility.

Princess and HAL normally dock down at Pier 30, in the heart of the industrial zone. They, and any other line who use this terminal from time to time, will be the ones who will make the move north.

I just checked on-line and Pier 91 is designed to handle two cruise ships at once, just like Pier 30.

I rechecked my paperwork, and Thrifty was at Pier 48, in between the two (30 & 66). No idea where they'll be next year.

SeattleCruiseLover, can you comment on the chances of them actually being done by next summer?

I have been prone to say that I will believe it when I see it actually happen. The State of WA has a $3.2BB budget deficit, King County and the city have double digit million dollar budget deficits, and all three are planning layoffs and cutbacks in the immediately foreseeable future. If the economy stays down for a prolonged period, I might have to say that I doubt it. Check in from time to time, and I can keep people updated.

I have been prone to say that I will believe it when I see it actually happen. The State of WA has a $3.2BB budget deficit, King County and the city have double digit million dollar budget deficits, and all three are planning layoffs and cutbacks in the immediately foreseeable future. If the economy stays down for a prolonged period, I might have to say that I doubt it. Check in from time to time, and I can keep people updated.

Thank you, Karen.

I can honestly say that we are living in interesting times.

Can you tell us if they've cleared the operational stuff out of Pier 30? Is this going to be a case of not having a home?

See my previous remark.:eek:

Pete

Thank you, Karen.

I can honestly say that we are living in interesting times.

Can you tell us if they've cleared the operational stuff out of Pier 30? Is this going to be a case of not having a home?

See my previous remark.:eek:

Pete

Pete: Terminal 30 is, and always has been, a freight terminal when the cruise ships are not in port. To that extent, the buildings and everything are still there. There was really not much inside that wasn't double purposed other than the CT scanners and metal detectors (all of which are portable at any rate). The Port Authority has already ceded Terminal 30 back to the freight usage, on what they claim to be a permanent basis, but I'm sure that something will be worked out if Terminal 91 is not ready by the end of April.

I've seen a lot of info about taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver, but I'm more curious about the reverse trip. How do people get FROM the Amtrak station to their hotels? (Especially if they're not staying downtown)

We'll be arriving in Seattle on June 1st on the Cascades at 10pm and we're looking at our options. Does anyone have suggestions about transportation from the station?

Right now we're looking at taking a cab or possibly arranging a towncar to take the 4 of us to our SeaTac hotel. Are there many cabs available at that hour at the King St Station? Are we in for a really long wait? Is it better to arrange for a towncar ahead of time?

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/recommendations. :confused:

I've seen a lot of info about taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver, but I'm more curious about the reverse trip. How do people get FROM the Amtrak station to their hotels? (Especially if they're not staying downtown)

We'll be arriving in Seattle on June 1st on the Cascades at 10pm and we're looking at our options. Does anyone have suggestions about transportation from the station?

Right now we're looking at taking a cab or possibly arranging a towncar to take the 4 of us to our SeaTac hotel. Are there many cabs available at that hour at the King St Station? Are we in for a really long wait? Is it better to arrange for a towncar ahead of time?

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/recommendations. :confused:

There are plenty of taxis there when the Cascades train arrives, I use them all of the time. There is a taxi supervisor there, as well, and s/he keeps the line moving. So either a taxi or a town car is an option for you. Prices might be slightly less with the taxi, but not much.

Pete: Terminal 30 is, and always has been, a freight terminal when the cruise ships are not in port. To that extent, the buildings and everything are still there. There was really not much inside that wasn't double purposed other than the CT scanners and metal detectors (all of which are portable at any rate). The Port Authority has already ceded Terminal 30 back to the freight usage, on what they claim to be a permanent basis, but I'm sure that something will be worked out if Terminal 91 is not ready by the end of April.

Thanks, Karen.

I was in the military for almost 30 years and am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, especially if you get any governmental agency involved. That includes all levels of government, from federal to local.

Archived