Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Question is about long term parking. We are leaving in June out of Vancouver, but one of the couple's is driving from FL to Seattle then going to take the train to Vancouver. They will need to leave their car for about 2.5 weeks, so wanted to know the best and most economical place for that. They will be flying back in to Seattle from Anchorage and driving back home.

Thanks again for your help.

Susan

Sorry to say that there are no long term parking facilities downtown (costs about $25-30 per 24 hours to park). There are some down by the airport, and easiest way to find the best bargain is to remember that "google is your friend."

Wrona thanks for the speedy reply. I guess I will just need to wait until the cruise season starts and see if they finish pier 91.:rolleyes: Karen doesn't sound too sure of that out come.

If they were ever on schedule at all, they are now at least three weeks behind after our recent snow storm. I'll try and go by there again sometime in the next few weeks.

Wrona thanks for the speedy reply. I guess I will just need to wait until the cruise season starts and see if they finish pier 91.:rolleyes: Karen doesn't sound too sure of that out come.

That's why I said supposed to...:p

Hope you have a happy new year!

I know I will have numberous questions over the nex few months about Seattle, but I will start with this one...

We are flying into Seattle the night before our cruise. I would like to visit the Space Needle in the morning right before we board the ship. What would be a good hotel for transfers from the airport as well as someplace close enough to the Space Needle to hopefully walk there and then get a ride to the cruise port with our luggage?

OK.... also just saw that there is a Monorail that goes to the space needle... so a motel close to that would be good too.

My guess.....by summer cruise season, the monorail will no longer be running. It is breaking down more and more frequently, and people are having to be rescued by SFD, so they may just close it permanently.

What is your hotel budget, and how many of you are there? (SEA is not like Victorville or Barstow, unfortunately, hotels are pretty pricy downtown. Better, but not great, at the airport, which is 15 miles south of downtown, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better despite the downturn in the economy.

There will be 4 of us. I am thinking about the Best Western Executive Inn downtown. What do you think of it?

Thanks for your help! :D

That is certainly close to the Space Needle and is less expensive than most properties in downtown proper. Since you are sailing RCI, you will be leaving from the new Terninal 91, always assuming they get it done in time, so will be somewhat closer to there than from downtown proper as well.

It's not new and super "snazzy" by any matter of means, but is acceptable and in a reasonably safe neighborhood, though I don't recommend going out after dark except in a group.

We're arriving in Seattle on 5/24, spending two nights at the Shafer-Baillie B&B (plenty of parking) in Capitol Hill area, then taking the train to Vancouver on 5/26. At least I think we're taking the train. How much will a taxi be from SEA-TAC to our B&B, and how much from B&B to Amtrak Station? I'm still considering renting a car at SEA-TAC, keeping it for our Seattle stay, and then driving to Vancouver and dropping it off there.

kayak.com shows the rental car will cost $100 per day. I'm wondering if $200 and the convenience of our own schedule will be better than the two cab rides and Amtrak for three people? Will crossing the border by car be terrible or easy? Yeah, I'm also thinking about lying in bed a little longer on 5/26 rather than taking that early Amtrak train! Thanks!

We're arriving in Seattle on 5/24, spending two nights at the B&B (plenty of parking) in Capitol Hill area, then taking the train to Vancouver on 5/26. At least I think we're taking the train. How much will a taxi be from SEA-TAC to our B&B, and how much from B&B to Amtrak Station? I'm still considering renting a car at SEA-TAC, keeping it for our Seattle stay, and then driving to Vancouver and dropping it off there.

kayak.com shows the rental car will cost $100 per day. I'm wondering if $200 and the convenience of our own schedule will be better than the two cab rides and Amtrak for three people? Will crossing the border by car be terrible or easy? Yeah, I'm also thinking about lying in bed a little longer on 5/26 rather than taking that early Amtrak train! Thanks!

Cab will be ~$40+ tip to the B & B, probably ~$15 to the station, plus train fares + taxis at the other end.

Seattle has good public transit within the city, but if you had the car you could - if you choose - go out into the countryside or visit neighborhoods where the bus is inconvenient. A key would be if they have parking at the B & B - otherwise that part of town can be tough for street parking.

Crossing the border by car is not difficult but as it will be a holiday week in both countries, you might well have a considerable delay - up to an hour or more is not uncommon.

If it was me, I'd rent the car when you arrive, then drop it at a downtown agency the night before the train. The rental rate will probably be lower, you'd have the car for sightseeing if you want, but you'd avoid a boring drive and possible delays at the border.

However, if you wanted to drive around Vancouver or up the inlet etc. when you get to Canada, then the car option might make more sense financially and in terms of logistics.

Hotwire. It's is 3.5 stars in Seattle airport area. I also just switched the ship we are going on and will be going on Golden Princess now, I canceled our Rhapsody aft balconies, so I had to get another night at the airport. Past passenger balcony prices are incredible. We're going to save $1k couple. That should pay for our excursions!!!

Hi,

We are thinking about a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity that originates in Seattle on September 25, 2009. We would be coming to Seattle on 9/23 for a two-night pre-cruise stay.

We are looking at the downtown Hampton Inn at 700 5th Ave N or the downtown Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Avenue. Both of these chains seem to offer good value for the price. Are these motels located in areas that are reasonable safe for daytime and early evening walking? It appears the Space Needle is close to both.

In Pennsylvania, we also also have a "state store" system for hard liquor and wine. Is the Washington rule the same or can you buy wine at grocery stores or drug stores? Does anyone have any suggestions for wine availability in the area. It appears the state store at 515 1st Ave N is the closest to these motels.

As an aside, I was amazed :eek: at the information available from Google maps. You can type in a Seattle address and then look at a picture of the location. You can also rotate 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically to look at all sides and even the sky at the location. At the Hampton Inn, I could view their entrance display sign.

Thanks for any help!

Les

Hi,

We are thinking about a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity that originates in Seattle on September 25, 2009. We would be coming to Seattle on 9/23 for a two-night pre-cruise stay.

We are looking at the downtown Hampton Inn at 700 5th Ave N or the downtown Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Avenue. Both of these chains seem to offer good value for the price. Are these motels located in areas that are reasonable safe for daytime and early evening walking? It appears the Space Needle is close to both.

Thanks for any help!

Les

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora last year. You're right, it was a good value for the price. The staff was more than helpful and made arrangements for a town car to take us to the port for a very reasonable rate. I found it a little inconvenient though getting to the free ride bus zone for the downtown area. It was about a 5 block walk around some busy streets. There also were no restaurants close by, so we wound up eating dinner in the restaurant of the Holiday Inn, which is behind the HI Express. Their location IS close to the Space Needle, but there is a very busy freeway between the 2 locations, so walking over there was not an option. Because we were interested in exploring things downtown, we would have been better off staying closer in to the port area. 3 months ago we stayed at the downtown Sheraton, which was a great location. We got a good rate on Hotwire for that one, but breakfast wasn't included. I'm not sure about the location of the Hampton Inn, but we have always enjoyed staying at that chain in our travels.

Marsha

Hi,

In Pennsylvania, we also also have a "state store" system for hard liquor and wine. Is the Washington rule the same or can you buy wine at grocery stores or drug stores? Does anyone have any suggestions for wine availability in the area. It appears the state store at 515 1st Ave N is the closest to these motels.

As an aside, I was amazed :eek: at the information available from Google maps. You can type in a Seattle address and then look at a picture of the location. You can also rotate 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically to look at all sides and even the sky at the location. At the Hampton Inn, I could view their entrance display sign.

Thanks for any help!

Les

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora last year. You're right, it was a good value for the price. The staff was more than helpful and made arrangements for a town car to take us to the port for a very reasonable rate. I found it a little inconvenient though getting to the free ride bus zone for the downtown area. It was about a 5 block walk around some busy streets. There also were no restaurants close by, so we wound up eating dinner in the restaurant of the Holiday Inn, which is behind the HI Express. Their location IS close to the Space Needle, but there is a very busy freeway between the 2 locations, so walking over there was not an option. Because we were interested in exploring things downtown, we would have been better off staying closer in to the port area. 3 months ago we stayed at the downtown Sheraton, which was a great location. We got a good rate on Hotwire for that one, but breakfast wasn't included. I'm not sure about the location of the Hampton Inn, but we have always enjoyed staying at that chain in our travels.

Marsha

Both hotels are on the northern edge of downtown, and IMO are not especially convenient for visiting the city. The Hampton Inn is more convenient to Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) and to restaurants but both are well outside the downtown free bus zone, and the monorail from Seattle Center to downtown has been a bit iffy lately - mechanical glitches etc.

One other point is that by late September it could be getting rainy, so being someplace that requires long walks to transportation could be a pain.

If it were me I'd look for something more centrally located.

SeattleCruiseLover,

I am glad to have checked out this thread. We are leaving for an Alaskan cruise/Westerdam, and finally booked La Quinta (my sis loves them). My question is how long will it take to drive to Terminal 30 from La Quinta downtown? We are driving in from Montana on Friday and the cruise leaves Sunday. We will most likely stay parked (free at La Quinta) and just walk, cab or Monorail it for our tourist days. Being old Oregon girls, we shouldn't rust too badly.;) Thanks for all the info you have here!

I used Priceline to book a hotel room for the night before our Alaska cruise on Princess in June. I *thought* I picked areas close to the terminal but I guess I didn't and of course I can't change it now. The hotel is:

Holiday Inn Seatac Airport17338 International Boulevard

Any suggestions on the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal?

I have been trying to read thru this lengthy thread to find out a couple of things, but at 80+ pages, it would be really cumbersome. I'm just too lazy, I guess.

I am booked on the Star Princess for a r/t Inside Passage cruise on September 13th. I have never been to Seattle before, so feel rather uncertain about how to plan. Apparently there is a significant distance between the airport and the pier.

Since I have to fly from FL and the cruise is scheduled to depart at 4 PM, I am thinking it would be best to fly in a day early. Apparently, Princess does not offer a hotel/transfer package in Seattle. I really don't want to pay "an arm and a leg" for one night in a hotel, and I don't intend to sightsee in Seattle.

What I have seen in a quick perusal of the first few pages leads me to think it might be best to stay at a hotel at the airport, and purchase a transfer package to the pier from Princess.

Please let me know if you think this is a reasonable plan. And if so, any hotel recommendations? If not, what do you think would be a better plan?

Thanks for your help.

Archived