Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

A group of us were planning on visiting Seattle on our way home from an Alaskan cruise. One of our members is wheelchair bound - standard and not motorized. Will it be difficult walking around town -- walking from the Needle to the Pike Market? Would a cab be better?

It's a little over a mile. Here's a Link to a map.

Seem's like it was mostly downhill though. Once at Pike Place Market it's uphill to go anywhere.

Charlie

It's a little over a mile. Here's a Link to a map.

Seem's like it was mostly downhill though. Once at Pike Place Market it's uphill to go anywhere.

Charlie

If you go down 4th Av to Pike, it is RELATIIVELY flat. 3rd Av is up hill, so are 1st and 2nd Av. Then at Pike, turn west and it is downhill to the Market from there. 4th Av has the sidewalks that are in the best condition.

OR the Metro buses have wheelchair lifts, and you could take one down to 3rd & Pine and walk easily downhill from there.

Thanks for all the info, Karen.

I am completely undecided about where to stay the night before our cruise in June; Rhapsody, RCCL.

I'd like downtown but hate to spend a lot of money just to sleep there. We arrive late-ish on a Thursday night and would like to get to Pike's Place Friday morning before boarding. As a result we won't be lounging around a hotel, taking advantage of any facilities. It needs to be clean, of course, but otherwise basic.

My question: How long will it take to get from an airport hotel to downtown on a Friday morning? We will probably have a rental car because DH, DS and DF (father) will go out to Boeing for the tour. We ladies will venture downtown.

Would public transport make more sense? My mom has somewhat limited mobility since she is still recovering from a hip replacement this winter.

If it's a big hassle to get into town, I'll bite the budget bullet and stay downtown. Then the boys will be driving out against the traffic (?). If that's the case...can you repeat your suggestions, please? I know you've answered this question more than once in this thread but I'm SO confused!:confused:

Thanks for all the info, Karen.

I am completely undecided about where to stay the night before our cruise in June; Rhapsody, RCCL.

I'd like downtown but hate to spend a lot of money just to sleep there. We arrive late-ish on a Thursday night and would like to get to Pike's Place Friday morning before boarding. As a result we won't be lounging around a hotel, taking advantage of any facilities. It needs to be clean, of course, but otherwise basic.

My question: How long will it take to get from an airport hotel to downtown on a Friday morning? We will probably have a rental car because DH, DS and DF (father) will go out to Boeing for the tour. We ladies will venture downtown.

Would public transport make more sense? My mom has somewhat limited mobility since she is still recovering from a hip replacement this winter.

If it's a big hassle to get into town, I'll bite the budget bullet and stay downtown. Then the boys will be driving out against the traffic (?). If that's the case...can you repeat your suggestions, please? I know you've answered this question more than once in this thread but I'm SO confused!:confused:

If you wait until after rush hour (after 9 am should be past the worst of it), it should not take MORE than an hour, and probably somewhat less.

Note that, for those who are going to Everett for the tour, it will take another hour to get up there and then you have Friday afternoon traffic to get back (and it is a "killer" usually on Friday in the summer, particularly if there s a baseball game the night you are here, and starts early).

Hopefully they have already made their reservations for the tour, because they allow a limited number of people to go, and they usually sell out very early in the season. And they need to time their return to make sure they have enough time to return the car and make it to the pier before they close check in.

Public transport is not a viable option to go up to Everett and still make it back in time.

HI Karen...do you ever sleep? Popped over from the hotel thread. We'll be at the Residence Inn Lake Union. You stated we'll be couple of miles from the Needle/Ducks. Do we want to do Needle in daylight or night?

What's going to be the best way for us to get there, hump it, taxi, bus?

Once there, can we easily get on to Pike Mkt?

We'll be on Star Prince out of term 30 on Sunday, 6/1, there is a Mariners game. There will be 6 of us total plus a wheelchair. SHe is not confined to chair so we don't need a lift but what's going to be our options for transport and what time should we plan on leaving Residence? We don't have to be first in line, I prefer not waiting at the cruise port, rather going thru check in, then boarding. We usually arrive and board others 11:30-1p in the past, of course that's been Carib out of FLA or Galveston.

Thanks for all your help.

SeattlecruiseLover....I dont want to read through all the posts too see if you have answered this question. I read online that you can take the subway (?) from the ariport to downtown. How true is that? We are staying at the Westin Downtown and someone said in a review you can take it to the vancinity of the hotel. Can you help me??:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Karen,

The wife and I were going to stay at the Best Western Executive Inn for 2 nights before our cruise out of Seattle and then when we come back from our cruise that disembarks in Seattle we were going to stay 2 more nights and just like everyone else we want to see alot in Seattle.

We have the Best Western Exe, Pioneer Square or Best Western Loyal Inn booked for the 2 nights we disembark from Rhapsody of the Seas but I don't know which would be the best one to keep/safe/clean for what we want to do and not far from airport when we leave to go home on Sunday.

Why I pick Best Westerns is because I rack up points for different things so I still want a BW.

Here is some things we'd like to do for sure. Seattle Duck Tour, Space Needle (dinner and view), Underground Tour, Pioneer Square, maybe a Argosy cruise, Parks nearby?, and am open to other suggestions you might have that would be a dont miss thing to do.

The BW Exe I understand would be by the Needle and Duck Tour,am I right so which other things could I do near that area and which things to do near the BW you would pick for after the cruise we get off of on that Friday before leaving to the airport on Sunday?

Also which port would Rhapsody of the Seas with RCCL be at in August of this year, thats when will be leaving on our round trip out of Seattle.

We've never been to Seattle and the wife will be so excited because she has always wanted to see it. She has wanted to go there ever since that Sleepless In Seattle movie came out :rolleyes: as well as see Alaska which this cruise will just be a small piece of Alaska, could'nt get anymore time off from work and this seemed to be the best way to surprise her with 2 things shes been wanting.

Is there a part of the movie from SIS I can take her to see? :confused:

Yelp this is a surprise vacation for her so shhhhhhhhhhh!

Karen, I hope this all makes since and thank you so much for helping us out and all the people on here. You have been a big help to everyone. :)

Also which port would Rhapsody of the Seas with RCCL be at in August of this year, thats when will be leaving on our round trip out of Seattle.

I'll answer this question. Rhapsody is sailing from Terminal 30.

Karen, a question came up earlier in this thread about storing luggage after a cruise and how long one could leave the luggage. I called Port of Seattle cruise info yesterday about some other info but also listened to the message about the concierge service. The luggage storage closes at 3:30pm and is $3 per bag. If luggage is not picked up before 3:30 it's $20 per bag to retrieve it.

If your wife loved Sleepless in Seattle she should love the Duck tour. DH & I took it 2 years ago and we got to see the house used in the movie for some of the movie scenes from the lake.

Dianne

PS: Sleepless in Seattle is one of my favorite movies too.

SeattlecruiseLover....I dont want to read through all the posts too see if you have answered this question. I read online that you can take the subway (?) from the ariport to downtown. How true is that? We are staying at the Westin Downtown and someone said in a review you can take it to the vancinity of the hotel. Can you help me??:confused:

Thanks in advance.

There is no subway in Seattle (nor likely to ever be a full system). The light rail from SEA-Tac to downtown is not scheduled to enter service until December 2009. You can take a city bus from the airport to within two blocks of the Westin (maybe what they were thinking of is that the last mile of the trip is in the bus tunnel??). You would want Metro Route 194.

Karen,

The wife and I were going to stay at the Best Western Executive Inn for 2 nights before our cruise out of Seattle and then when we come back from our cruise that disembarks in Seattle we were going to stay 2 more nights and just like everyone else we want to see alot in Seattle.

We have the Best Western Exe, Pioneer Square or Best Western Loyal Inn booked for the 2 nights we disembark from Rhapsody of the Seas but I don't know which would be the best one to keep/safe/clean for what we want to do and not far from airport when we leave to go home on Sunday.

Why I pick Best Westerns is because I rack up points for different things so I still want a BW.

Here is some things we'd like to do for sure. Seattle Duck Tour, Space Needle (dinner and view), Underground Tour, Pioneer Square, maybe a Argosy cruise, Parks nearby?, and am open to other suggestions you might have that would be a dont miss thing to do.

The BW Exe I understand would be by the Needle and Duck Tour,am I right so which other things could I do near that area and which things to do near the BW you would pick for after the cruise we get off of on that Friday before leaving to the airport on Sunday?

We've never been to Seattle and the wife will be so excited because she has always wanted to see it. She has wanted to go there ever since that Sleepless In Seattle movie came out :rolleyes: as well as see Alaska which this cruise will just be a small piece of Alaska, could'nt get anymore time off from work and this seemed to be the best way to surprise her with 2 things shes been wanting.

Is there a part of the movie from SIS I can take her to see? :confused:

Yelp this is a surprise vacation for her so shhhhhhhhhhh!

Karen, I hope this all makes since and thank you so much for helping us out and all the people on here. You have been a big help to everyone. :)

All three of the BW properties are fine. Pioneer Square is, obviously, near Pioneer Square, Terminal 30 and the stadia--so the Underground Tour is right there, as well, as is the waterfront and all of the good restaurants there, as well as the aquarium, harbor tour (one of which includes the Sleepless in Seattle houseboats as an attraction) and shopping.

None of the three are near the airport, unfortunately, as they are all downtown.

Executive is more or less across the street from the Needle and the Duck Tour, both of which are "must do" (so long as heights and dizzying swaying in the wind don't bother you). Experience Music Project and the Sci Fi museum are there to, should you be so inclined.

There are lots of Parks and greenbelt areas in Seattle. Volunteer Park up on Capitol Hill has a conservatory and Asian Art Museum. Discovery Park in Magnolia has a lighthouse, beach and old Army buildings and national cemetary. The Woodland Park Zoo has a lot of fascinating exhibits, too.

There are tons of things to do here. If you can narrow down your interests for me a bit, I can make some better suggestions.

Karen, a question came up earlier in this thread about storing luggage after a cruise and how long one could leave the luggage. I called Port of Seattle cruise info yesterday about some other info but also listened to the message about the concierge service. The luggage storage closes at 3:30pm and is $3 per bag. If luggage is not picked up before 3:30 it's $20 per bag to retrieve it.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there is luggage service from the ship to the airport?

Hello Karen,

I am going to be in Seattle on my birthday, (April 23rd), coming in on the Mercury; I would like to spend the morning in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple, but I understand that it is quite a distance from the pier.

Do you know if any public transportation will work for us? Thanks so much!

Kathy :)

Hello Karen,

I am going to be in Seattle on my birthday, (April 23rd), coming in on the Mercury; I would like to spend the morning in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple, but I understand that it is quite a distance from the pier.

Do you know if any public transportation will work for us? Thanks so much!

Kathy :)

Kathy: I show the address for the Temple to be:

Mailing Address

2808 148th Ave SE

Bellevue, WA 98007-6453

Telephone: 425-643-5144

Facsimile: 425-746-9864

This is across Lake Washington from the main body of Seattle in Bellevue. There are buses to the area, and you can plan your trip here:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

and use their trip planner function. The following is an example of what it will take you to get there on the bus:

Itinerary #1

Walk SE from PIER 66 to DepartAlaskan Way & Bell StAt 10:22 AMOn Route MT 99 International District via Pioneer Square ArriveS Jackson St & 5th Ave SAt 10:31 AM Transfer to Depart5th Ave S & S Jackson StAt 10:51 AMOn Route ST 554 Issaquah Express ArriveEastgate P&R AcRd & BAY 2At 11:09 AM Transfer to DepartEastgate P&R AcRd & BAY 2At 11:15 AMOn Route MT 245 Kirkland ArriveLanderholm Cir SE & 148th Ave SEAt 11:21 AM Walk 0.1 mile SE to 2808 148TH AVE SE

So you can see that it is about an hour each way, and two changes of bus, so you would be very wise to make sure that you budget your time very carefully, because the buses in this area are both very crowded and often late right now (because increased ridership due to the gas prices).

Karen:

Question from my DH: After we check in as early as we can on the boat and have lunch (want to beat all the traffic in that area due to baseball game and get to ship early), DH wants to know what might be within walking distance from the pier. Any shopping, museums, scenery, etc around there or is it all industrial?

I thought I saw that there was a Coast Guard Museum some where near that area? That would interest him since he was in the USCG. Is it within walking distance from pier #30? Would you have the address for the Coast Guard museum?

Thanks so much! :D

Karen:

Question from my DH: After we check in as early as we can on the boat and have lunch (want to beat all the traffic in that area due to baseball game and get to ship early), DH wants to know what might be within walking distance from the pier. Any shopping, museums, scenery, etc around there or is it all industrial?

I thought I saw that there was a Coast Guard Museum some where near that area? That would interest him since he was in the USCG. Is it within walking distance from pier #30? Would you have the address for the Coast Guard museum?

Thanks so much! :D

Terminal 30.....It is really in an industrial/port area. The closest thing (big whoop) would be Sears and Starbucks about six blocks away. Not really interesting, I can say. Home Depot anyone? Now there IS a Krispy Kreme doughnut outlet, if you are as addicted to them as I am.

The Coast Guard Museum is at 1519 Alaskan Way at the Coast Guard District HQ. That is about 1/2 mile or so (give or take 1/4 of a mile) from Terminal 30 at Pier 36. Unfortunately, however, unless you are sailing on X, you will miss out on it. They are open only M, W, and F from 0900-1500 hours. (Sorry....because it sounds like they have some pretty neat stuff in there...I'll have to check it out).

Wish I had better news for you.:(

HI Karen...do you ever sleep? Popped over from the hotel thread. We'll be at the Residence Inn Lake Union. You stated we'll be couple of miles from the Needle/Ducks. Do we want to do Needle in daylight or night?

What's going to be the best way for us to get there, hump it, taxi, bus?

Once there, can we easily get on to Pike Mkt?

We'll be on Star Prince out of term 30 on Sunday, 6/1, there is a Mariners game. There will be 6 of us total plus a wheelchair. SHe is not confined to chair so we don't need a lift but what's going to be our options for transport and what time should we plan on leaving Residence? We don't have to be first in line, I prefer not waiting at the cruise port, rather going thru check in, then boarding. We usually arrive and board others 11:30-1p in the past, of course that's been Carib out of FLA or Galveston.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Karen..any comment on my above post? TIA.

Hi Karen..any comment on my above post? TIA.

Sorry about that. Thought I HAD.

Anyhow...

I live about two blocks from the Residence Inn. You certainly CAN walk to Seattle Center from here, though there is a bit of uphill, so you probably won't want to while pushing a wheelchair. (If you decide to walk, go straight up Mercer Street, which is just slightly south of the Residence Inn).

Probably the best way for you to accomplish it is to cross the street and take the 70 bus to 3rd and Pine (unless it is Sunday, then you will take the 71, 72 or 73 to 3rd and Pike). Then walk across the street to the bus stop between Pike and Pine Streets and catch any of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 13 or 16 buses. Any of these will take you to Seattle Center.

Once done at Seattle Center, go into Center House and catch the monorail back to Westlake Center. Go down to street level on the elevator by the monorail stop, turn right to the corner of 5th and Pike and walk 5 blocks straight down Pike to the Market. It's all level to slightly down hill.

I'm going to be leaving at 7:00 am to make it to Terminal 30, but, then again, I DO want to be first in line. If you want to be leisurely, you could probably leave as late as noon, or whenever check out time is, but I wouldn't wait much beyond that.

Hi Karen-

I will be coming off the Amtrak train from Seattle at 10pm and heading to the Grand Hyatt. The next day we depart for home at 6:30pm. Some questions for you:

1. Should I pre-arrange a private transfer from the Amtrak station to the hotel?

2. We would like to take a small city tour in the morning to get a nice overview of the city. I am looking at two things, the Duck Tour (90 minutes) and Seattle Tour's three hour city tour. Which do you think is the better idea? Also, we would like to check out Pike Market and the Space Needle. Any suggestions including some lunch in between would be greatly appreciated.

3. What time should we leave to get to the airport?

Thanks in advance!

-Maren:D

Archived