Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Once again you have helped me with your infinite knowledge:) . I do know I can use the HH at any property but was not too familiar with the city layout. I have booked the Homewood Suites and saved some $$.

Big THANKS again~

You're very welcome. I have stayed there a number of times, and it is a nice property in a good location for what you are wanting to do.

Karen, we are heading to Vancouver on the Saturday morning train. I would probably be willing to get a cab. Do you think we could get there in time? I guess my goal is to make it a nice place for both my son and I. I like the idea of being to eat, drink,relax in a whirlpool before leaving and having that all included in the hotel price. Also like having a free shuttle from SEATAC, I did that last year.The price for Embassy Suites is about $135 total($119 & taxes). Tell me what hotel would be best for us, please. Again a million thanks for all the help you give everyone on these boards. Pam

Karen, we are heading to Vancouver on the Saturday morning train. I would probably be willing to get a cab. Do you think we could get there in time? I guess my goal is to make it a nice place for both my son and I. I like the idea of being to eat, drink,relax in a whirlpool before leaving and having that all included in the hotel price. Also like having a free shuttle from SEATAC, I did that last year.The price for Embassy Suites is about $135 total($119 & taxes). Tell me what hotel would be best for us, please. Again a million thanks for all the help you give everyone on these boards. Pam

Pam, do you HAVE to stay down by the airport, if you could get a room closer to/in town for not more than $20.00 more?

Karen, there is nothing holding us to the airport except that is the area I stayed in last year. All suggestions are appreciated. Requirements include easy to get to rail station, food nearby, better if free in the hotel(I am Marriott and Holiday Inn awards members and both Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield usually have a free breakfast). Also a safe place close by to have a few glasses of wine(I like the free happy hour for guests at Embassy Suites) Tell me what you think is best for my 24 year old son and me? Thanks, Pam

Karen, there is nothing holding us to the airport except that is the area I stayed in last year. All suggestions are appreciated. Requirements include easy to get to rail station, food nearby, better if free in the hotel(I am Marriott and Holiday Inn awards members and both Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield usually have a free breakfast). Also a safe place close by to have a few glasses of wine(I like the free happy hour for guests at Embassy Suites) Tell me what you think is best for my 24 year old son and me? Thanks, Pam

Pam: There are two Homewood Suites downtown (you can use your HHonors points there, too). One is on Western just a few blocks from Pier 66, the other is a new one on Pike in the central downtown area. Prices at the one on Denny/Western (if you book and pay on the Internet), run about $143.00 per night. Here is the description:

Homewood Suites by Hilton® allows you to feel closer to home whether you're traveling for a few nights or longer. Every spacious suite features enough space for work, study or entertaining, plus all the comforts of home, including a fully equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, coffee-maker and microwave oven, a remote-controlled television, two telephones with data ports, voice-mail and an iron and ironing board. You'll also enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast every morning and an evening Manager's Reception with a complimentary light meal and beverages every Monday-Thursday (subject to state and local laws). All for less than you might think.

I have stayed in the one on Western. Very nice. If that doesn't work for you, I can cook up a few others.....

Karen, you are amazing - not only are you a wealth of information, but you're so willing to share it with all of us! I for one would definitely buy your book! :D

I've read most of this thread and I don't think this question has been asked yet. Where is the best (i.e. least expensive) place to park for the hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tour? We will be staying near the airport prior to our cruise (it just seemed like the best choice since the family - 18 of us - is coming in from all over the US and arriving at all different times), and getting rental cars. Several of us will be arriving on Friday evening, which will give us all day Saturday to sight-see before our cruise leaves on Sunday. The hop-on hop-off bus seems to hit most of the major downtown attractions so everyone can "hop off" where they want. I see that Pike Place Market has "early bird" parking - up to 12 hours for $8 or $10, depending on where you look on their website (must be what they mean by "rates subject to change without notice" ;) ) - if you arrive before 9:30 a.m. Is this the best option or would someplace else be cheaper?

Again, thanks for all the help you've given me and everyone else!

- Lisa

Karen, you are amazing - not only are you a wealth of information, but you're so willing to share it with all of us! I for one would definitely buy your book! :D

I've read most of this thread and I don't think this question has been asked yet. Where is the best (i.e. least expensive) place to park for the hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tour? We will be staying near the airport prior to our cruise (it just seemed like the best choice since the family - 18 of us - is coming in from all over the US and arriving at all different times), and getting rental cars. Several of us will be arriving on Friday evening, which will give us all day Saturday to sight-see before our cruise leaves on Sunday. The hop-on hop-off bus seems to hit most of the major downtown attractions so everyone can "hop off" where they want. I see that Pike Place Market has "early bird" parking - up to 12 hours for $8 or $10, depending on where you look on their website (must be what they mean by "rates subject to change without notice" ;) ) - if you arrive before 9:30 a.m. Is this the best option or would someplace else be cheaper?

Again, thanks for all the help you've given me and everyone else!

- Lisa

Lisa (I'll let you know when it is done--I'm actually working on it ;) )

Pike Place Market Garage is pretty centrally located, and that is a good price for weekend parking. You can catch the hop on/hop off on the waterfront, which is at the base of the garage, but across the street on the water side.

Karen, thanks for checking this out for me. How far is it to the rail station? Wouldn't be able to take advantage of the free meal, arriving on Friday. What would you recommend as a good eating place nearby? Thanks again , Pam

It is about 3 miles to King Street Station from the one on Western, about 2 from the one on Pike.

The problem with Seattle is that we have next to nothing in the 24 hour dining venue. I actually only know of two downtown. One is 13 Coins at the corner of Denny and Fairview, and the other is Five Point Cafe (which is actually a divy looking bar with GREAT food) at 5th and Cedar. Both of them are a couple of miles from both of the Homewood Suites, but in the opposite direction from King Street Station, and you would probably have to be there at 4 am in order to sit down and eat and still make it to the station by 6:00 am or shortly after.

It used to be that you could have a full meal on the train. This year, of course, since they are not using the Talgo equipment, all they have is a snack bar rather than a full diner.

McDonalds doesn't even open til after 6 am, which is pretty much true of everyplace around here (Seattle just isn't a 24/7 kind of a town). :(

Karen, This may have been asked but do you know if we take the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle is there is a spot to store our luggage for the day. We will be getting off the Diamond Princess morning of the May 10th, and running around Vancouver for the day then on our way to Seattle around on the 6:00 pm train. Not going to have that much luggage but I hate the idea of dragging it around. I don't know if Amtrak will take it that early and can't seem to find out from their web site. Do you know how far the train station is from the cruise dock? And how early we need to check in for our departure.

Thanks in advance for any questions you can answer.

Dianne

Karen, This may have been asked but do you know if we take the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle is there is a spot to store our luggage for the day. We will be getting off the Diamond Princess morning of the May 10th, and running around Vancouver for the day then on our way to Seattle around on the 6:00 pm train. Not going to have that much luggage but I hate the idea of dragging it around. I don't know if Amtrak will take it that early and can't seem to find out from their web site. Do you know how far the train station is from the cruise dock? And how early we need to check in for our departure.

Thanks in advance for any questions you can answer.

Dianne

Dianne: Yes, you can take your bags to the VIA rail station, and leave the bags with the baggage check. They charge about $2-3CDN per bag for storage, and you can come back early enough to get in the pre-check in line for Amtrak and pick them up. If you are coming in from Canada Place, it is just a couple of miles. A bit farther than that from Ballantyne.

Train leaves at 6:00 pm, check in begins just after 3:45, boarding at 4:30.

Hi Karen,

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion. I'm holding 2 hotel reservations right now - one at the Moore Hotel downtown and one at the Sleep Inn SeaTac. We're coming from NY the day before we sail and are scheduled to arrive at 6:30-7:00pm.

Sleep Inn:

Close to airport if flight is late or luggage gets lost

Ihop close by for quick bite when we arrive

Free continental breakfast

Taxi to pier 66 Sunday morning, stash luggage and go sight seeing

Moore:

How's the area?

Is there someplace close by to eat when we arrive and the next morning?

Need to get here by taxi Sat night

I guess I'm leaning towards the Sleep Inn (it's slightly cheaper) but I wanted your opinion since you know the area.

Thanks!

Laurie

Laurie: So long as you are not looking for the lap of luxury, either of these properties is all right.

Sleep Inn is close enough to the airport that you WILL hear aircraft taking off and landing, sometimes even when you are trying to sleep. If you're one of those who can filter it out, not a big deal. It has an advantage in that the restaurant is right there and, as you say, close enough to the airport if, Heaven forbid, you have to deal with luggage issues. It will take about 45 minutes give or take to taxi downtown in the morning (free breakfast is always nice, if you can get it).

The Moore is right downtown, on 2nd Av. It is very utilitarian/bare bones. If you are afraid of old rickety somewhat noisy elevators..... If you are arriving at 7:00 pm, don't plan to be downtown til in the neighborhood of 9:00 pm (then if you DO get there sooner, it will be a pleasant surprise, rather than an unhappy one). Seattle not being the 24/7 kind of town, late night dining options are limited, but available.

The Icon Grill is open until 11 on weekend evenings, and their food is terrific, and it is a quick 3-4 block walk from the Moore. Tom Douglas' Palace Kitchen is open until 1 am seven days a week, and is a few blocks farther walk. For breakfast on cruise morning, go to Lowell's in Pike Place Market, but go EARLY (they open at 7:00 am), because it gets to be SRO very quickly.

I would only caution you to keep your eyes open and be very aware of your surroundings when walking out from the Moore at night. Ignore panhandlers and just keep on walking like you belong there, and you would be fine.

We found the Quality Inn & Suites on Aurora street about 1 mile from Pier 66. Their shuttle is $6 per person. The Internet Users rate booked directly on their website was $125 for 2 double beds. It's pre-paid, but refundable. I believe you can cancel up to 24 hours before. It's less expensive to get Airport shuttle from Airport to Quality Inn for a larger family. Getting that shuttle from a hotel near the airport or downtown to the pier was 30 percent more, because they want to put you in private shuttle. Shared shuttles are at airport.

Karen, I'm sorry if you've answered this before but I'm seeking reliable towncar companies for our upcoming trip. I'd like to book from the airport to the Sheraton downtown and then again have them waiting for us upon departure at Pier 30 for the airport. We have a 12:35 p.m. flight and I prefer to have pre-arranged transportation that is not a ship transfer.

Do you have any personal preferences or at least point me to companies with good reputations on being reliable? Thanks!

Karen, I'm sorry if you've answered this before but I'm seeking reliable towncar companies for our upcoming trip. I'd like to book from the airport to the Sheraton downtown and then again have them waiting for us upon departure at Pier 30 for the airport. We have a 12:35 p.m. flight and I prefer to have pre-arranged transportation that is not a ship transfer.

Do you have any personal preferences or at least point me to companies with good reputations on being reliable? Thanks!

I have used Executive Town Car in the past, though it has been a while:

http://www.executivecarservice.com/

For my clients, I often use:

http://www.1800limo.com/common/RateSheet.cfm

Karen, I ran a search using Amtrak's station address on King Street and came up with Holiday Inn Express Seattle-City Center. It's 3 miles from the train station. With my Priority Club membership, I can get a little better rate than Homewood Suites. According to the nearby info, it shows less than a mile to the Space Needle and 1 mile to the original Starbucks. What's your opinion?

The original Starbucks is at the Pike Place Market, which is about 2 miles from the HEI on Dexter. I'm sitting here looking at both the Space Needle and the HEI from my living room window right now, it is only a little over a mile between them, and only slightly uphill.

It is more than 3 miles from the hotel to King Street Station, but less than six (I haven't walked it lately, but would guess between 4.5 and 5).

Karen, I ran a search using Amtrak's station address on King Street and came up with Holiday Inn Express Seattle-City Center. It's 3 miles from the train station. With my Priority Club membership, I can get a little better rate than Homewood Suites. According to the nearby info, it shows less than a mile to the Space Needle and 1 mile to the original Starbucks. What's your opinion?

I can't answer with any authority like Karen but I belong to another travel forum for reviews on hotels/motels from people who have stayed at those places. We always check several in our price range before we choose. The Holiday Inn Express has gotten very good reviews for a hotel in the $100-$150 range. We are staying there. I think the rate for us is $125 (AARP). I meant to add there is a breakfast included.

Archived