All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

WOW!!! Looks awesome. When you play the video and hit pause, it looks like the cantilevered whirlpools are in the same place as on Freedom class ships. I am trying to figure out where the pools will be. This is towards the end where they show the aerial view of the Genesis. You can see the "holes" where the Central Park will be. Perhaps a pool on each side. As it stated you can look down at Central Park from the pool area. Hmm. Interesting to see what this ship is going to look like. I already marked my calendar for June for the next reveils of the ship.

Genesis-May 2010 (I hope to surprise my nephew for his graduation from High School)

• Administrators
From Seatrader:

"Genesis as a whole will have a richer mix of cabins; it’s designed so that only 20% of the 2,700 staterooms are insides, compared to about 40% on a traditional cruise ship, Fain noted. A June 18 event will reveal more about the accommodations in advance of sales opening in August."

Big Al

And rest assured Cruise Critic will be there.

Mixed emotions here.............

The "innovations" are very interesting; however, from my perspective I like to take a leasurely stroll along the Promenade in a climate controlled environment at any time. Seems like it will be hot, humid and sticky, particularly during the day. RCI states it will be open to the elements with drainage etc. So it sounds like there won't be anything like a rolling roof. I'm just not sure about this approach. :-(

Anyone else have an opinion on the subject? Convince me please!!!

I wonder how they will control the temperature. I can only iomagine how hot and humid it may get. Hot sun on breezes to cool down. Also the fact that it will be a tall closed in area. I now how hot it can get in a city with tall buildings all around.

Random Thoughts....I'm soo excited about the new look and feel of the ship. Our two other hang out spots are New York and Las Vegas so you can see our appeal - but ...I just don't see how they are going to keep kids out of the rising tide and I didn't see any kids in the renderings or people in flip flops and cover ups:D ! I am only joking and pointing out that cruisers are cruisers. Its nice to see something totally different. I remember some of the initial Freedom reviews were a little harsh about being just a bigger voyager class. Personally - I missed all the Freedom extras on our last trip (Navigator) but I did enjoy getting around a little easier. I agree that a 7 day trip would just not be enough ~ hopefully by sailing time we could finally do a B2B, a 12 & 9 day schedule would be awesome.

I would love to hear about a real movie theatre for the kids or even a mixed use like on Disney for Metropolis. But DH and I will most likely sail by ourselves first unless we bring sitters with us. It also seems like with as many specialty restaurants the dining room would have to go to open seating with reservations. Will dress code become enforced in the grown up areas:confused: ?We are known to be the offenders!! :cool:

It does look like the bookings will not open until August.:( The good thing is that we will have a shorter time until we sail after the deposits are made!

The Critters in our CC Group will have more time to get to know each other and make even more plans for this incredible sailing.:)

As Laura said whenever it happens we will be thee!:D

Now an "Ultra Radiance" ship would be an interesting idea. Move things around and design a Radiance ship with the dual Centrums and a small 2 deck Royal Promenade. They could have the Promenade continue aft to the Safari lounge and have Chops on oneside and Portifinos on the other. With the Schooner Bar just forward of the two. I am sure it is a naval architecture nightmare, but it would be cool to have a mini--Royal Promenade on a Radiance class ship, in place of the Zig-Zag layout of decks 5 and 6.

I love the design of the Radiance class ships and am glad to see the Thermal Suite which came from the Radiance class listed as one of the items in the Genesis release from yesterday.

Back to NB-1363, what do you make of the Rising Tides Bar? It looks like the deck of the bar is mounted on some sort of elevator does it move? Did anyone see any info I missed?

The "innovations" are very interesting; however, from my perspective I like to take a leasurely stroll along the Promenade in a climate controlled environment at any time. Seems like it will be hot, humid and sticky, particularly during the day. RCI states it will be open to the elements with drainage etc. So it sounds like there won't be anything like a rolling roof. I'm just not sure about this approach. :-(

I wonder how they will control the temperature. I can only iomagine how hot and humid it may get. Hot sun on breezes to cool down. Also the fact that it will be a tall closed in area. I now how hot it can get in a city with tall buildings all around.

I think it will be beautiful at night. We like to walk around the outside decks at night, so this will really be wonderful.

I wouldn't book one of those balconies tho.

I'm really liking all the choices for dining. It is the one reason we have considered going back to ncl. With this option that rccl is offering on genesis, I won't have to. The whole thing with assigned dining times and only few choices is old already. I'd much rather pay a cover charge and eat where and when I choose. Cruising is going to become less food inclusive, but with much better choices that you pay for. I'd much rather have it that way. However, we are not big eaters to begin with and only have breakfast and dinner. I would think for people who go on a cruise expecting most food choices to be included, this will be a major disappointment for them. Since having to pay a cover charge will possibly be harder for them to afford to do so. But I am sure they will keep the traditional options included. But with all the different eateries they are stating, you can be sure most of them will have a cover charge or will even be ala carte.

It also seems like with as many specialty restaurants the dining room would have to go to open seating with reservations. Will dress code become enforced in the grown up areas:confused: ?We are known to be the offenders!! :cool:

I am a offender also. Sorry but if anyone seems to be bothered by my attire on formal night I will tell them my luggage was lost ;).

BELOW IS MY OPINION ON THE SHIP;

This ship in my opinion solves alot of issues for RCCL. Top managment is NOT in favor of eliminating formal nights. And we all know there are two types of cruisesr; the ones who love the formal nights and the ones who could careless about it to hating it. But buy putting all the specialty restaurants outside where formal attire is not required, it segregates the two cruisers for those nights. And who wants to be outside in formal wear where the heat is opressive and getting caught in a tropical down poor will flatten hairdoos and run makeup.

Secondly, as I stated on another thread, this ship is designed with two things in mind; to attract the non cruiser and to find ways to up charge the guest once on board. I have read many times in these threads that guests did not mind paying a little more for something special while on the ship. This ship is for them. As any business, the goal is to increase revenues. The only way to do this in the cruise industry is to charge the guests for things once on board. Expect more than you have ever seen on this one. Lastly, they did not build this ship for us cruise fanatics on Cruise Critic. As Mark290 stated they had us at hello.

Lastly, the cruise ship companys find that financially it is more profitable to run one big ship then several smaller ones (sorry but they will not be building 3 more radiance class ships because it does not make as good financial sense as one big Genesis Class.)

While it looks great, I personally think it will not be as enjoyable as their previous ships. This ship has 2000+ staterooms. That was the size of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas when it opened. Have you seen the crowds in that place? THe have added more rooms since but it was filled with people when it opened. The pool at the MGM Grand can be like a city pool on a 100 degree day in Chicago. Think of the crowds in the windjammer. The Voyager Class ships can be downright crazy finding a table at lunch time so imagine what the Genesis class ships we be like? The lines for the theatres for the evening shows, the number of people using the gyms.

While I hopefully will have the chance to travel on this ship because I am a cruise fanatic, I am skeptical about it being as nice as an experience on smaller mega ships.

There seems to be many differences of opinion regarding this new ship, and I am pleased to see so many different perspectives.

But I do have my limitations..and if they design a dog park on this ship, I will defintely enjoy the cruising experience elsewhere.

The more I read about this ship the more I can't wait to see what they will say on June 16th.....How many bars are there? and how many pools will there be? and will they always fill the ship or will it go out half empty at times? I would like to see an outdoor movie screen so we can watch movies at night and see the stars:D

Carol:)

Whe I logged into the boards this morning the 'News' section had a interesting article about Genesis. Does anyone know yet when roughly the ship will be ready to sail and where she will be sailing out of? I am planning a cruise in January 2010 and wondered if the Genesis would be up and running by then - I was about to book a villa on NCL's Jewel but I may just hold off if it looks like Genesis will be ready soon! Any idea when bookings will be opening up?

Fall 09 (one of the Jamaican newspapers said that the port needs to be ready for Gen Inaugural in "November 09")

It is leaving from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale)

Possible ports based on those actually building a dock for Genesis - Falmouth Jamaica, St. Martin, Labadee

I think the whole point is that it WON'T be a closed in area! But as we all learned in school- heat rises- and I'm sure that there will be some sort of air conditioning going on. So, will it be as temp. controlled as the Promenade? Probably not, but you'll be ALMOST outside- that's the point!!:):):)

I can't wait!!!!!

I think the whole point is that it WON'T be a closed in area! But as we all learned in school- heat rises- and I'm sure that there will be some sort of air conditioning going on. So' date=' will it be as temp. controlled as the Promenade? Probably not, but you'll be ALMOST outside- that's the point!!:):):)

I can't wait!!!!![/quote']

I agree. My biggest complaint about the Royal Promenades is that you are cut off from the outside and would not even have a clue as to what is going on outside. The shops and restaurants will have AC and I am sure that the Central Park area will benefit to some degree as folks go in and out of them. Trees and real grass and flowers will also have a cooling effect to make conditions more tolerable even on the warmest days. :)

After taking a screenshot of the flyover portion of the RCL "spotlight" video (from their "Genesis" Project website), I was able to put together this very speculative rendering of how things will be placed topside.

Hope all on this thread find the results interesting and cause for discussion.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showfull.php?photo=3686

PS If there is any copyright dispute in this video capture and adaptation (taken from RCL's "Genesis" Project website) as determined by the moderators, please immediately remove the items in question.

Archived