Attire in specialty restaurants on formal night

LunaSmiles

After endless shopping trips, I cannot find a dress/gown for my 13 year old DD. So, we will be skipping formal night on our cruise in March. What is the attire for the specialty restaurants on formal night? Is the Windjammer the only place we will be able to dress non-formal?

LunaSmiles,

Please don't deny yourself the dining experience on formal night because of a gown for your daughter! If she can go dressed in a pair of back pants and a nice top or a nice black skirt with a nice necklace, she will be fine! I bet she would love to wear a shawl over a dress. I did not see gowns on teenagers. Some wore sandles (flipflops) with sparkles that I saw in Walmart or Kohls.

Come on...you can get her to go! let her pick out a fancy costume jewelry necklace and she will be all set. Some cute things come out before Easter.

Good luck!! (I teach high school aged kids; anything is possible!)

I'm allergic to shellfish, so we always eat in specialty dining on lobster night, which is a formal night. Sometimes we go dressed formally, sometimes just in smart casual (me in cocktail dress, he in jacket). You'll see a bit of both.

The dining time can be quite lengthy in the specialty restaurants, so be sure your DD is aware that she might be sitting for a good two hours. The food is definitely worth the wait!

I'm allergic to shellfish, so we always eat in specialty dining on lobster night, which is a formal night. Sometimes we go dressed formally, sometimes just in smart casual (me in cocktail dress, he in jacket). You'll see a bit of both.

The dining time can be quite lengthy in the specialty restaurants, so be sure your DD is aware that she might be sitting for a good two hours. The food is definitely worth the wait!

Is shellfish the only entree served on lobster night? :confused: I would think a lot of people would either not like shellfish or be allergic to it.

Is shellfish the only entree served on lobster night? :confused: I would think a lot of people would either not like shellfish or be allergic to it.

No - there are other entrees. On one cruise there must have been a bit of lobster juice on my steak dinner plate because I had a reaction. Fortunately I carry Benadryl and my EpiPen with me in my purse. We don't take chances anymore ...

Shellfish allergies aren't that common, and not everyone goes into anaphylactic shock. If you have an allergy to anything it's important to tell the maitre d', the head waiter, the waiter and the assistant waiter on the first night. Some of the salad dressings have things like oyster sauce in them, in addition to shrimp most nights. We've normally had really good luck, but lobster night seems to send people into this ridiculous frenzy of ripping off shells and sending juices flying!

Archived