charleston,sc

skoolbusdrvr

ceb1160 -

Thanks for your advice! Do you think it would be better to walk or to grab a taxi? I've been to Charleston once and walked all over downtown, so am a bit familiar with the layout. It was pretty easy to find my way. Will the entrance to the cruise port be marked, or evident, if we walk? I'm really hoping the weather will be cooperative and that we'll be able to do a lot of walking while we're there!

By the time your cab arrived at the hotel you would have already walked to port.

Walk, much easier.

I vote for walk...really the big pain with the way they have things set up has to do with being in a car and the lines associated with that. Traffic backs up to a stand still in a all directions, so although the port is not really clearly marked, on cruise day it will be VERY obvious and every corner will have a City of Charleston Police officer on it that can assist you with where to go next (they are hired by the cruise line). So walking will be your best bet as long as luggage is not an issue! :D No worries....it will be really simple to walk to and find....Happy cruising!

I vote for walk...really the big pain with the way they have things set up has to do with being in a car and the lines associated with that. Traffic backs up to a stand still in a all directions, so although the port is not really clearly marked, on cruise day it will be VERY obvious and every corner will have a City of Charleston Police officer on it that can assist you with where to go next (they are hired by the cruise line). So walking will be your best bet as long as luggage is not an issue! :D No worries....it will be really simple to walk to and find....Happy cruising!

They are helpful - just a little harassed as the morning continues... some people don't want to follow the rules. I would walk! and take a cheap baby carriage to put the luggage in.

Some great info here. My question is about rental cars. Do you know if any of them have a drop off near the port that will shuttle you to the port (on the day we sail) and will they pick you up at the port when we get back?

Thinking about renting a car from Mytle Beach for one day before and one day after the cruise.

Thanks,

I discovered that Budget has a location at 390 Meeting Street, but they close at noon on Saturdays and Sundays. I was told by the Radisson that the hotels are not allowed to drop off until noon. Looks like the Budget location may also be within walking distance if they don't drop off. I plan to rent a car when we arrive at the airport Friday eve then drop downtown.

Does anybody know how early they will allow you to check in your luggage at the port? We would like to ditch our luggage early then walk around a bit.

Just back from a cruise out of Charleston. As others have posted, the lines getting into the parking garage or to drop off luggage are winding and long. If at all possible, pack lightly and have a cab or a friend drop you off at the Customs House. It's an easy, straight shot along a sidewalk to the terminal building.

Happy cruising to all!

:) ninkb

Just back from a cruise out of Charleston. As others have posted, the lines getting into the parking garage or to drop off luggage are winding and long. If at all possible, pack lightly and have a cab or a friend drop you off at the Customs House. It's an easy, straight shot along a sidewalk to the terminal building.

Happy cruising to all!

:) ninkb

Your friend or cabbie will know where the custom house is.

Archived