Live From the Ryndam 2/25-3/6

sldispatcher

My thanks, too, David for this trip log - it's been great reading!

You'd mentioned some temps up around 80...is the air a little cooler and refreshing while the ship is underway? And did the onboard temps ever get more comfortable (you'd mentioned it feeling about 5 degrees too warm at the outset)?

Thanks again!

March 4 – Cabo San Lucas

An early morning arrival into Cabo. A whale surfaced, blew, and quickly slipped into the inky black waters at the edge of the Sea of Cortez.

The lights and hills of Cabo looked more like a nighttime arrival to Vegas than the sleepy Baja towns we were used to seeing.

Breakfast was in the Lido and then slid right down to the Wajang theater for tender tickets. Not much wait there. Of note, I’ve noticed that the windows in the tenders are, to borrow a phrase from home, “stink nasty”. You would have trouble seeing Godzilla approach the tender boat looking through those murky windows. Try and get a seat next to door.

Cabo had a very nice Marina and a few hawkers of services in the bay. We marched right into downtown where some very nice stores awaited. (And I’m not talking about anything listed in the silly recommended stores by any ship that talks shopping.)

Shoppers note! A very small store on the north side of the main thoroughfare (east end) called “Silver Exposure” is a must if you are looking for unique items. The designer is Jodie Johnson. There is a website, but I don’t want to look like a hack on here. The pieces are VERY unique.

The next store was on a side street and I don’t have an actual name other than it had the Mexican term for turquoise in the title. The owner is very knowledgeable, does his own designs, and will show you how to spot fake silver. The last store I’ll list, (and the first we visited) was Minas de Cortez. B E A U T I F U L stuff…but get ready to plunk down some change. They WILL deal, but let them do the dance first.

Lunch was back on board the ship. The dining room is closed on this day. Plus, they are getting ready for the farewell dinner. Lido was okay.

This afternoon we read books on the balcony with Cabo as our backdrop. A very busy port scene. Compare and contrast at this point what was seen at Loreto or Topolobampo with Cabo. We left right on schedule and sailed around the tip of Cabo and then turned to the northwest to go get all of you cruise addicts waiting for us to surrender our ship!

I would have filed earlier but my dad was on my sign-on down in the café. I really think HAL should consider reducing the cost of the internet connection. It is ridiculously high for the quality of the bandwidth. I wouldn’t mind paying the bundled rates if the connection speed was better. BUT, you are captive on the ship while at sea and it is not like you can just plug into Comcast, etc. But still, the charges are obscene for this service.

Tonight was the last formal night. Very good salads, chilled strawberry soups, 4 plump shrimp in a cocktail accompanied by a mustard sauce, then a different dish for each person around the table for entrees. My dad and I turned our traditional surf and turf over with substituting the rack of veal for the filet. My mother had her traditional surf and turf and really liked the filet! My wife had the snapper and it was truly tasty.

I have of course, left out lots of details in these daily reports, but I would rather paint a picture with broad strokes, and let you discover small touches in your own way. There have been numerous instances on this cruise that I will not detail here of staff going out of there way to handle what was only meant to be a question of curiosity and not a mandate for service to be performed. I don’t mention them so that someone reading this may think these things are a matter of routine. Again, if you’ve never sailed HAL. Come experience a different way of cruising. The whole experience is about having a sailing excursion and it makes no bones about it. The primary mission seems centered around the idea that you are on a fine ship as opposed to trying to make you forget you are on a ship as some lines seems to be moving towards.

A production show was performed in the theater tonight that was heavy on singing and costumes and light on dance moves. My wife actually preferred it because of those features. Again, whoever designed these R and S class theaters needs to be taken out back and horsewhipped. Sight lines are terrible. People were present 45 minutes prior to showtime to get “their seat”. Whew!

As I type this, the seas are actually enough to make one feel like one is actually cruising…and barely noticeable at that. These rooms have not made a single sound. Not a creak. Not a pop. You cannot hear things above or below you. Every once in a while an adjacent balcony door may slam, but that is about it.

Well, I’ll try and file at least one more report. I hope that it has been informative to some degree without spoiling all of the little things that make sailing HAL so nice.

Happy Sailing!

David

PS. The temps did get a little nicer on the ship...outside air temps are definitely cool on the water. Esp mornings/evenings as expected.

Bon Voyage!

March 5 – Day at Sea

The Lido was quite busy this morning. Time changed overnight (gained an hour) so there were many hungry eaters this am. (Why?)

The morning was spent tidying up loose ends, changing airline seats to exit rows, etc. The disembarkation lecture seemed to have been attended by everyone onboard as well as those from the Dawn Princess. So much for the “one member of each cabin” as there were way too many twosomes present. I turned around and left without getting a seat.

Immigration will be done in the terminal (WONDERFUL) and not have to clear everyone on the ship prior to letting us off the ship.

Unfortunately, at 3pm, the Ryndam was placed back on Code Red.

Just kidding ;)

Everything is fine and the ship is in great shape for the next cruisers. I am aware of only 3 or 4 max ever being quarantined as a precaution.

We did have a brief CC meeting which I could not stay for the full length. There was a variety of HAL/cruising experience in the group. It was determined that the Ryndam had quickly recovered from the code red…had made all of the necessary efforts and was doing quite well. First time HAL cruisers had put HAL way above the newest/latest/greatest of some other lines out there. Many compliments were handed out to all of the previous CC folks who had posted info about the Ryndam and HAL.

Overall, I would have to say that the experience was very close to the Amsterdam last year. The edge still goes to the Amsterdam, but that is much like saying the Grand Marnier Soufflé was better than the Mocha Crème Brule. To each his own.

Again, HAL has been very accommodating this voyage. We even had off menu items in the main dining room tonight arranged by one of the assistant dining captains after we lamented the fact that a favorite dish would not reappear. This brings to light my last suggestion, if you are torn between two items in the dining room…just ask for them both!

Unless something awful happens with debarkation in the AM, you will probably not hear from me again with a live report. I want to thank all 3 of you that have been reading this…and especially want to thank CC for having a central place such as these boards for us to post our trip reports.

I do not know how in the world I’m going to write a concise review for the “review” section of this website. Just like trying to polish off a dessert in the dining room, I’m not sure how I’ll do it, but I’ll sure give it my best shot!

Bon Voyage

Just kidding ;)

David -

You got me! Thanks for the jolt-now I don't need my coffee this morning!

Seriously, I want to thank you for taking the time (and spending the money on internet fees) to share your entertaining and informative view of your cruise. Thanks also for taking care of the Ryndam for us - we'll be down in a few hours to take your place on board. :D

Just kidding ;)

David -

You got me! Thanks for the jolt-now I don't need my coffee this morning!

Seriously, I want to thank you for taking the time (and spending the money on internet fees) to share your entertaining and informative view of your cruise. Thanks also for taking care of the Ryndam for us - we'll be down in a few hours to take your place on board. :D

Ack! Got me too!! This was a wonderful account of your trip - we'll be boarding soon and hope our exerience will be just as grand!

I wanted to let you know how wonderful it has been to listen to your daily reports. We set sail on April 5. Our daughter is going with us and has never been on a cruise before. Your reports have stirred the imagination of us all.

As for only 3 reading your post. I lurk alot and seldom reply. I am sure there are many more like me. We are hoping who ever goes on the next cruise files many reports as you have.

Misspoovey - we had 007 two years ago on the Ryndam and loved the suite. I did hear a bit of noise one time when on the balconey from some pool chairs above us but it was very minor. Had alot of fun with 007 suite - I told several folks my name was Bond.

DaveOKC

Arrival into San Diego was quiet, uneventful and right on schedule.

Note to the travelers...forget about the Lido for breakfast on this final morning. Plan for a stress free breakfast in the dining room. You will be so glad you did.

Disembarkation was right on time and without much hassle. There were the usual folks who will run right over you to get off of the ship. I am usually kicking/screaming/dragging myself off of the ship.

San Diego has got to be in the top 3 worldwide of the easiest ports to get in and out of.

Bon Voyage!

• 5 months later...

David, thank you for your wonderful postings. Thanks to C.C. for keeping archives. It's great. Thanks to SteveQ for responding to my inquiry that lead me to his postings(which in turn lead me to yours). This is a great Board. I will be traveling by sea to the Sea of Cortez for my first time on HAL. Last year we traveled to Mexico on the Dawn Princess....Loved it. It sounds like the Ryndam shall rise to the occasion.

Archived