Cheap vs expensive binoculars.

derf5585

It makes a lot of sense to have different pairs of binoculars...

Binoculars are not one size fits all...I am prone to migraine headaches, I have some arthritis in my neck, and I am very sensitive to color fringing (the slight halo of color visible around flying birds in all but the most expensive optics)...for these reasons, my overall favorite binoculars are currently a high-quality pair 8x32 Zeiss FLT's that I bought last fall on e-bay.

Ditto that! Buying a binoculars is all about the best compromise for your situation. There are many factors in choosing a binoculars: price, weight, magnification, field of view, edge sharpness. When I went on birding trips, many first time birders often asked the questions: what is the best binoculars? That's a question almost impossible to answer. My personable preference is either 8x42 or 10x42 roofprism binoculars. They are bright, light weight, easy to hand-hold with its streamlined shape. Many Porro binoculars use fold-down rubber eyecups that will show significant wear and tear over the time. But most roofy use twisted up/down eyecups that are sturdily built. Waterproof is important. Once moisture gets inside the binoculars, they will cause internal fogging when the temperature change when you walk out of cabin to balcony and miss some important moments.

Does anyone know anything about the Simmons Captureview Binoculars?

They are supposed to be waterproof, and take digital photos. I just wonder what kind of quality they have.

While I have no specific knowledge of this binocular, I can tell you that these combination devices generally make sacrifices on each function. You'll likely get a lessor binocular and a lessor digital camera.

What do you think about this pair?

$69.95

8x40 WorldView Waterproof Binoculars

* Outstanding binoculars for sightseeing or stargazing with features usually not found at this price

* Sealed waterproof housings are impervious to moisture

* Nitrogen-purged barrels prevent internal lens fogging

* Multicoated anti-reflection optics and high-density BAK-4 porro prisms deliver superior performance

from

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=worldview_binos/~pcategory=binocular_standard/~product_id=09487

I think you will get your money's worth. If you are buying them for very occasional use, they may work well for you. But, I think you should stick to binoculars that you can try first and built by a company with a track record for making a rugged product. Some internet sites have excellent return policies. Some have ordered two or three binoculars and kept the pair they liked and returned those they didn't.

There is A LOT of good advice in this and similar threads. I'll try to add my experience to the mix. What I have found over the years is that there is no great deal in the binocular world. You will get what you pay for. I've had countless numbers of cheap binoculars and very few of them lasted very long. There ARE binoculars that are an excellent value in their price range. But, if the binocular doesn't fit you and isn't comfortable, it's worthless. You won't use it and it's a waste of money. If it's too heavy, you'll be unlikely to lug it around with you. If it's not rugged enough, it will get bent out of alignment or prisms will get knocked loose rendering them useless.

I think MOST folks that frequent this board will not be able to appreciate the difference between a $300 binocular, a $1000 binocular, and $2000 binocular. Keep in mind that I'm talking about comparing binoculars of similar capability (I'm not comparing an 8x32 to a 15x56). The difference in binoculars through the price points is diminishing as price increases exponentially. It will be almost impossible to see the differences between a $1000 bino & a $2000 bino in a store. The main differences between the price points will be clarity, especially towards the edges, and low light performance. I also believe that for recreational whale watching, there is very little to be gained by buying these top of the line binoculars. With the exception of BQ ;), I doubt very many people will be up on deck scanning for whales before the sun is up or will continue to scan after the sun has set when the high dollar binos would really shine. A recreational whale watcher is also probably not trying to identify individual whales by looking for extreme detail in it's markings. Seeing the whale and enjoying the sight is enough. Any quality binocular can accomplish that. I would give this definition of a quality binocular:

Roof Prism construction - generally more rugged than porro counterparts

Waterproof

fully multi-coated optics. Not fully coated or multi-coated. Fully multi-coated. Increases light transmission and improves image quality.

Nitrogen purged. This will help keep the binoculars from fogging.

Fit and comfort are the most important things to look for! If you can't quickly bring the binocular to your face, locate and focus on an object and hold it there for a while, you will fatigue quickly and/or not find what you're looking for.

Some other things you can look at are the eyecups & diopter adjustments. Eyecups that don't stay where you want them to will be troublesome. It's the same with the diopter adjustment. The diopter adjustment is how you adjust each barrel to each of your eyes so that both eyes see objects in focus. I have an old binocular where the diopter adjustment has no locking mechanism and is constantly rotating itself around. So, I have to adjust this almost every time I lift them to my face which is very annoying. Also compare the field of view and the weight of each you are looking at. A couple of ounces isn't a huge difference, but 5 or 10 is!

Oh, and one more thing that might be an option. There is at least one company (rentbinos.com) that will rent binoculars. This is clearly not cost effective in the long run. But, if you want to test drive some swarovski's before you shell out a couple of grand, it's a nice option.

Wow, that got a bit long winded, sorry. And I'm not sure I've added much that others haven't already said!

BTW, Thank you for your service to our country. It is much appreciated! And stay away from Needless Markup, I mean Neiman Marcus, for binoculars ;)

Nikon Action series--these look like your traditional bins from the old movies. 7x35 or 8X40. $70 or so on Amazon.

Nikon Action EX--similar to Action but waterproof. $100-120 on Amazon.

Nikon Monarch--Roof prism, waterproof, lighter and smaller. $250 or so.

I know there are others that are better/cheaper etc... I mention these because they are widely available at a shop near everyone.

Having owned several pairs of roofprism binoculars and numerous Porro binoculars, I would highly recommend roofprism binoculars for their lightweight and rugged construction. DW and I have taken out Nikon Monarch and zenray Summit almost every other weekend for birding and hiking. They are essential part of our weekend life.

Between Nikon Monarch and Action Extreme, I would not hesitate to go with Monarch even though the price is significantly higher. Action extreme is just too heavy for me to handle for all-day activity. Its resolution is no where near what Monarch can offer. For my monarch 10x42, the sharpess can maintain toward 75% from the center, while the Action extreme does it at 60-65%. In addition, Extreme has multi-coating on lens, but only single-coating the prism, which does not qualify it for FMC. All those differences add up little by little that separate them apart.

Which is better between the Nikon MOnarch and the Canon IS? I am a camera nut, NOT a binocular nut. IN the long run, would you choose one over the other?

I own the Canon IS, and looked at the Nikon Monarch while I was preparing for an Alaskan cruise.

Both of these binoculars have good points and one really needs to decide for themselves which is more important to you. You should definitely find these in a store and try them if possible. If you're really lucky you might find them both at the same store.

The Monarch's are great binoculars with wonderful optics and field of vision. The first time I held these up to my eyes I was just amazed, it was more like I was looking through a large window with a different view as opposed to a pair of binoculars - the pair I was looking at was an 8x42 pair. These made me really appreciate the difference a pair of premium binoculars can make.

The Canons Optics are very good, but a step below the Monarch's - the field of vision is not as wide nor is the image as bright. But keep this comparison in perspective as the Canon are still very good, just not as good as the Monarchs. But with a higher powered binocular, and to a lesser extent even with an 8x, I'd always been disappointed with the effect of hand shake. The shaky image always made it hard to see detail at higher power and made viewing for more than a short time a little irritating. Just as it was magic the see the wonderful optics of the Monarch's, it was also magic to see almost all the shakiness sort of fade away after pushing the Image Stabilization button on the Canons. Images actually seem clearer to me when the hand shake is eliminated. The IS feature changed a 10x magnification from being not all that great to "wow".

So both have their good points. Monarchs for a great image with wonderful field of view and the Canons are good quality binoculars with the IS function, but a bit narrower field of view considering the cost and weight of the binoculars. Many viewers consider 8x about the highest that hand shake doesn't become a problem, although it still may be an issue there for some. So I'd look at them both if you can, and decide which is important to you.

Like LSimon says, comparing optics to optics, Canon IS in general is one step below Monarch, with the exception of IS 10x42L. If you are Canon camera user, you will know their L lens represents their premium quality glasses. 10x42L IS is very, very good in image quality, even without IS on. It is pricy at $1300. I believe I found a deal last Christmas when it was selling for around $800 in one of the closeout outlets. Besides its high price, my only concern is how long it will last with those fine electronics inside. Some people mentioned the dizziness with IS on, but I haven't noticed that much. If you can afford it, go for it, especially the 10x42L.

I am a professional photographer. I used to use Hasselblad, and now I shoot all Canon. I do have L lenses, so I know their quality. My dad and brother both have the canon IS binoc's. My brother is taking his pair to Alaska when we go. But since I am NOT an avid binocular looking person, I just want a good pair to take to Alaska, and of course use it for other things, but I am NOT the sort to use them all the time. I have used my dad's and they are great, however, he doesn't want to loan them out for the week. He believe it or not, uses his daily. He had a pair that broke, sent them in to Canon to fix, and they said, it was cheaper to get another pair. So this one is pretty new, and he is not wanting to loan them out....

I know my brother will share his pair for a second, but you I just think I want my own.

If Nikon is cheaper I may look into them.

Having owned several pairs of roofprism binoculars and numerous Porro binoculars, I would highly recommend roofprism binoculars for their lightweight and rugged construction. DW and I have taken out Nikon Monarch and zenray Summit almost every other weekend for birding and hiking. They are essential part of our weekend life.

Between Nikon Monarch and Action Extreme, I would not hesitate to go with Monarch even though the price is significantly higher.

We really like our Summits but I would like you to compare the Summits to the Monarchs since you own both. I compared them with the Steiner Merlins at a local Academy and at a savings of over $350.00 the Summits won hands down. I know the value is great but is the difference considerable. Thanks

We really like our Summits but I would like you to compare the Summits to the Monarchs since you own both. I compared them with the Steiner Merlins at a local Academy and at a savings of over $350.00 the Summits won hands down. I know the value is great but is the difference considerable. Thanks

diverearl, it's good to see you back here. I did a review and compare those two a while back last year. check reply #33 on this page http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10898600

enjoy.

Thanks for the help here. So if I go with the Monarch, would you say the 8x42 over the 10x42? I looked on a NY website, and found the 10 x 42 to be $10. more money. ARe they worth it? $10. isn't much if they are better...

• 4 weeks later...
diverearl, it's good to see you back here. I did a review and compare those two a while back last year. check reply #33 on this page http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10898600

enjoy.

It got my head spinning after reading all the comments about binoculars and cameras. At least I know I need a pair for our trip. It is a good place to start. How many pairs do you take with you? one to share or everyone has his(her) own?

Back to binoculars again... Still haven't purchased any, however, after re-reading this, it sounds like zenray summits win over Nikon Monarch. When I checked the price on the link below, it looks like zenray is cheaper. ARe they really hands down better. From those of you that own them, When I looked up both prices it looks like Zenray is cheaper, Why wouldn't I buy them??????

It got my head spinning after reading all the comments about binoculars and cameras. At least I know I need a pair for our trip. It is a good place to start. How many pairs do you take with you? one to share or everyone has his(her) own?
it is very difficult to share binoculars...unless you don't mind carrying them for hours only to pass them off when there is something interesting to be seen (and possibly miss the sighting yourself).

it is very difficult to share binoculars...unless you don't mind carrying them for hours only to pass them off when there is something interesting to be seen (and possibly miss the sighting yourself).

You can share each using one eyepiece.

You can share each using one eyepiece.

Unfortunately it does not work for me since I have to use both eyes. So I peek through the objective lens from the other end whenever my DW uses it.:D But seriously though, I would bring one for each person. In the past, I was the only one who carried the binoculars, but often found it was not in my hand whenever there is something interesting popping up. Eventually, I got a pair for everyone

Back to binoculars again... Still haven't purchased any, however, after re-reading this, it sounds like zenray summits win over Nikon Monarch. When I checked the price on the link below, it looks like zenray is cheaper. ARe they really hands down better. From those of you that own them, When I looked up both prices it looks like Zenray is cheaper, Why wouldn't I buy them??????

I do not have much experience with Monarch. But I am happy with my zenray summit and have recommended it to my friends who are going with us this year. After reading those reviews, I really wanted to try some of those thousand dollars binoculars, just out of curiosity, knowing I won't be able to afford them any way.

• 1 month later...

I am in the similar boat. I have narrowed down my options to zenrays based on the many good feedbacks. Now I need to decide whether we should go with Vista or splurge for summit.

I bought the Summits for the cruise we are taking next week. I couldn't be more happy with the quality of the binoculars or the service from the company. I had two much older pair of Bushnell binoculars that are not waterproof and the Summits are clearly better.

DW and I are heading to Alaska in mid July 2008. I would like to buy some nice but so expensive compact binoculars for the trip. I would love to stay around $100 or less if possible. I am looking at the Otter 10X26 WP Compact Binoculars. What do you think about them?? Could I get another one better for the exact price? I would love to get IS but I think that would be out of my price range.

Any help, please. Thanks

I recently bought these 8x25 compact brunton echo binoculars off ebay. Can anyone tell me if these will do since i wanted budget binoculars for an alaska trip that have good value without sacrificing too much quality. This will probably be the only time i will use the binoculars. Thanks a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320248425384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

I recently bought these 8x25 compact brunton echo binoculars off ebay. Can anyone tell me if these will do since i wanted budget binoculars for an alaska trip that have good value without sacrificing too much quality. This will probably be the only time i will use the binoculars. Thanks a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320248425384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

For one cruise and paying less than $30 for a $60-100 pair of binoculars, I think you'll be very happy. That is unless you're standing next to somebody using Swarovski binos.... then, you might be a little miffed. But, you won't be out $2000 either. :D

Archived