NY to Quebec City or Vice versa ?

Texas_firefighter

Is there any advantage that may not be obvious for taking either the NY to Quebec City ,or Quebec City to NY one way cruises in September?Also can anyone advise about the Sea Princess. Thanks,it would be the first Princess cruise.

Collin

Sea Princess is an identical sister to Dawn/Sun etc. Look for posts on any of the 3 and you will find out a lot of info. :)

Did this cruise from NY to Quebec. It is a very port intensive cruise. We only had one sea day and that was on the St. Lawrence. So I guess the only big difference I see is do you want the sea day at the begining or end of the cruise. If you want it near the end then go NY to Quebec.

Also, I think its a little easier to fly in/out of NY then Quebec just because its got more connections. So that might play a role in where you want to start from.

Did this cruise from NY to Quebec. It is a very port intensive cruise. We only had one sea day and that was on the St. Lawrence. So I guess the only big difference I see is do you want the sea day at the begining or end of the cruise. If you want it near the end then go NY to Quebec.

Also, I think its a little easier to fly in/out of NY then Quebec just because its got more connections. So that might play a role in where you want to start from.

We went on a similar cruise several years ago, NY to Montreal. If I had to to do it again, I would go the opposite direction. You have more flight choices for the trip home from NY than you will have from Quebec, in fact, you might end up having to fly or drive to Montreal first. My vote would be to fly in a day or two early as others have suggested, and enjoy Quebec. It is one of my favorite cities.

A few of you have suggested Quebec to NY,and I think that may what we would do. Thanks so much. Can some one suggest the best place to fly into in the U.S. and then drive to Quebec city? Anyone sailed Sea Princess lately ,I read she was in need of some sprucing up ?

I'm not sure flying to somewhere in the US and driving to Quebec is the best option. It will he hard to get a rental car that you can take across the border, and any of the small airports that you could do the drive from will likely have pretty high airfares to, as well as a 3 or 4 hour drive. Continental flies a few times a day to YQB from Newark (EWR), so you could probably book a flight from wherever you are in Texas, connect in EWR to YQB, then fly home from EWR at the end of the cruise.

Air Canada also has a multitude of flights from either Toronto or Montreal to Quebec City, and pretty good connections from major US cities (especially into Toronto) but they are likely more expensive than a US airline. Plus the codeshare arrangements to come home will probably be a little less than desireable. Although you can book AC going and somebody else coming home.

Is there any advantage that may not be obvious for taking either the NY to Quebec City ,or Quebec City to NY one way cruises in September?Also can anyone advise about the Sea Princess. Thanks,it would be the first Princess cruise.

Collin

We did the Regal Princess from Montreal to NYC. If I did it again (and it would be probably from Quebec because few ships can get all the way up to Montreal) I would still do it the same way.

My reason is I would rather embark in Canada and disembark in NYC. We saw the line of cars / taxis / buses backed up trying to get into the port. Disembarkation is much easier because in our case we did a Princess transfer to JFK, so just got off the ship, got bags, through customs and onto the bus.

As far a seas, I do not know what direction the currents are so do not know if along the eastern coast your chance for a rough ride is greater going north or south. That could also be something to consider. We had no problems except for one day when we ran into the end of a hurricane off Boston.

Either city is worth spending pre or post cruise time in. I also think the port of Quebec would be much nicer spending embarkation time at and once aboard, there is plenty to do within walking distance.

We did the Regal Princess from Montreal to NYC. If I did it again (and it would be probably from Quebec because few ships can get all the way up to Montreal) I would still do it the same way.

My reason is I would rather embark in Canada and disembark in NYC. We saw the line of cars / taxis / buses backed up trying to get into the port. Disembarkation is much easier because in our case we did a Princess transfer to JFK, so just got off the ship, got bags, through customs and onto the bus.

As far a seas, I do not know what direction the currents are so do not know if along the eastern coast your chance for a rough ride is greater going north or south. That could also be something to consider. We had no problems except for one day when we ran into the end of a hurricane off Boston.

Either city is worth spending pre or post cruise time in. I also think the port of Quebec would be much nicer spending embarkation time at and once aboard, there is plenty to do within walking distance.

Thanks ,great tip.

We did the C/NE trip Quebec City to NYC on the Sea Princess in October of 2006. (See pictures at the link below.) We spent the first night on the ship in Quebec City, leaving early evening of the second day. That gave us a full day and a half in Quebec City. I agree that going north to south is the way to go. The Quebec City airport is small and not crowded so we had no trouble clearing immigration and getting our luggage. We booked out flights through Princess and got great connections at not too bad a price. We also used Princess transfers at both ends. It made for a no-hassle trip.

We enjoyed the cruise and the ship. It was port intensive so we didn't have a lot free time. For the first time, we enjoyed all the trivia games and such on a cruise and met lots of nice folks and had a good time. The ship is older and has small cabins, even though we were upgraded to a balcony cabin at the last minute.

Hey there 1,649 PP inside for twelve days. I know it is a liitle steep but airfare is much cheaper then a multi city route. And there are no hotel and dinner bills in quebec. It may also go down in price. Good Luck I hope to see you on board.

Archived