opinions please!

sunnydaze

We are flying into Anchorage at night, and not leaving on our cruise from Whittier til the following night.

Can anyone suggest a good hotel to stay at in Anchorage? Yes - I have checked trip advisor, but I value your opinions too.

Also - what is the best way to get from Anchorage to Whittier. We have the whole day, so part of me thinks we should rent a car, and sight see a bit. Can we rent a car in Anchorage, and drop it off in Whittier somewhere close to the cruiship?

I get bus sick, so I'm hesitating about looking into that option.

Is there a train?

Have any of you got any good suggestions??

Thank you!

Renting a car is a great idea, but Avis is your only option for a one-way rental between Anchorage and Whittier. There is a train that leaves Anchorage at 10:00 a.m. and arrives in Whittier at 12:35 p.m. for $60/pp: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/arrc18.html#12 If you choose that option, you might also want to consider going on an afternoon Prince William Sound boat tour before boarding your ship in the evening.

We stayed at the Extended Stay Deluxe (downtown on 8th Avenue) as well as the Holiday Inn Express near the airport - and both were very nice.

Archived