Does Royal Caribbean rent snorkel gear?

aloha43

Of course they do!

Really?! I've never heard of them doing that. I have hear of outside companies renting snorkel gear while your in port. Such as local dive shops, resorts, and surf shops. But I've never heard of them renting gear out directly from the ship.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have never cruised before, so it probably sounded like a stupid question. :o

Have you rented it? Is it decent gear, or should we bring our own?

First, it isn't a stupid question and I'd like to personally thank you for putting your question in the title.

Second, do you share your toothbrush with people you don't know? Then why would you want to share a snorkel. If you have your own, I think you should bring it.

Even if you don't have your own now, I think that it would be worth the small price to pay to get your own snorkel gear. I personally don't want to put something in my mouth that has been in the mouths of countless others. That is just me though...

First, it isn't a stupid question and I'd like to personally thank you for putting your question in the title.

Second, do you share your toothbrush with people you don't know? Then why would you want to share a snorkel. If you have your own, I think you should bring it.

I totally understand.

Actually, I plan to take our gear.....but my mom (I won't mention her age.) and my uncle (who is almost 80yrs old) will be snorkeling for the first time ever. I think it would beneficial to not buy their equipment until they find out if they even like it first. It doesn't come cheap in our neck of the woods. Besides, to buy it here, our only choices of gear would match cold water diving. (Northern California) I know how to clean and disinfect a snorkel before use, I just don't know where to get it there.....at the beginning of our trip, so we have it early on, when the opportunity for snorkeling arises.

Thanks for the help.:)

On our last cruise we actually bought our own masks and snorkles and rented the vest and fins. The cost was pretty reasonable. We bought them several months before the cruise so it wasn't like a "cruise" expense. I fact we packed them away. fortunately, they were on the packing list or we may have forgotten them.

The Voyager had a pro dive shop on the pool deck for rentals and lessons. In Hawaii, last year they had these really cool boogey boards with handles on the top and a magnified viewing window so you did not have to submerge your head. The in-laws loved them since they did not feel confident in their swimming.

Where are you going? many of the island tourist locales may have these boards by now.

Have fun.

Where are you going?

We are going on the Radiance to the Eastern Caribbean March 15th. (Note below....17 days and counting!!:D)

We're going to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Maarten, Antigua and Nassau.

We have always gone to Hawaii on vacation. If we were going there, I would know to go to a Snorkel Bob's for gear. Rent on one island, and drop off on another. I'm not hearing of anything like this in the Caribbean.

Thanks for the help.

Debbie

Is a mask and snorkel that expensive? I would expect $50 at the most for a basic set. Am I off base?

I can't remember the price, but my wife and I purchased both our sets for less than $50 combined. They weren't professional quality, but they worked very well. On our last cruise we used them at Labadee and Cozumel without a problem.

Is a mask and snorkel that expensive? I would expect $50 at the most for a basic set. Am I off base?

That sounds about right for a medium grade mask and snorkel. I just remembered that my kids (both adults now) own masks and snorkels that they can use. They just don't have fins. (The fins they own are way too big for them to use.)

So I am halfway there. Whew!:)

Thanks!

To disinfect your own snorkle go to you local Dive Shop and talk to them. They have pre-made solutions that you add to water and soak your snorkle for a couple of minutes. IMHO I would still buy mom and uncle their own snorkles. Let them try them out in a pool on board. This way if they can't handle it you will know and can cancel the trip for them (book them on a sight seeing tour instead).

Archived