Quebec City

PHYLLISR

It disappeared because some people don't know where politics doesn't belong.

What do you want to know about Quebec city?

The most important thing to do in Quebec city is walk. It's a 400 year old city! It's basically divided in two, the new city and the old city (Vieux Quebec). The old city is divided in two again, the lower (bas ville) city and the higher (haute ville) city. You want to see the lower city first and Place Royale, then walk around and see the high city as well. There are quite a few museums as well as the Chateau Frontenac (a giant castle that is a hotel now... great for tea.) If you like shopping you need to walk around the city because unlike big American cities there are a lot of small individual shops here. I suggested walking around the Rue St-Jean for that (from about Rue St-Claire down toward Vieux Quebec).

Historically speaking, the Plains of Abraham where the battle between Wolfe and Montcalm is probably the most significant to Canadians. The National Assembly (Assemble Nationale) building, is where the Quebec Legislative assembly is situated. The closest natural wonder is the Montmorency falls (Chute Montmorency)

The government's Tourism site is at http://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/villesquebec0.html

(That's the version for American Tourists, the site has several versions, you can pick which at the bottom).

Unfortunately, Carnival is over and you can't see Bonhomme (A snow many) in his centure flechée (traditional arrow belt), that's a once a year festival. But thee is a list of other festivals in Quebec on the website. (I live in Montreal, it's festival central near my house.)

It disappeared because some people don't know where politics doesn't belong.

What do you want to know about Quebec city?

The most important thing to do in Quebec city is walk. It's a 400 year old city! It's basically divided in two, the new city and the old city (Vieux Quebec). The old city is divided in two again, the lower (bas ville) city and the higher (haute ville) city. You want to see the lower city first and Place Royale, then walk around and see the high city as well. There are quite a few museums as well as the Chateau Frontenac (a giant castle that is a hotel now... great for tea.) If you like shopping you need to walk around the city because unlike big American cities there are a lot of small individual shops here. I suggested walking around the Rue St-Jean for that (from about Rue St-Claire down toward Vieux Quebec).

Historically speaking, the Plains of Abraham where the battle between Wolfe and Montcalm is probably the most significant to Canadians. The National Assembly (Assemble Nationale) building, is where the Quebec Legislative assembly is situated. The closest natural wonder is the Montmorency falls (Chute Montmorency)

The government's Tourism site is at http://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/villesquebec0.html

(That's the version for American Tourists, the site has several versions, you can pick which at the bottom).

Unfortunately, Carnival is over and you can't see Bonhomme (A snow many) in his centure flechée (traditional arrow belt), that's a once a year festival. But thee is a list of other festivals in Quebec on the website. (I live in Montreal, it's festival central near my house.)

All I can say is "I second that".. and I hate it that my thread died bec. of politics as well. Winter Carnival is divine.. yes, you freeze your tush off but wow! Can't wait to go again.

I don't know about Hotel 711 but love Hotel du Pierre right near the Frontenac.

Another great way to get an overview of the old city is to take a buggy ride!

And definitely stay in the old city... not to say "new" Quebec doesn't have anything to offer but the old city...

Also suggest if you have a chance to visit Montmorency Falls and St Anne du Beaupre or head out to Isle Orlean for a sugar shack meal and some divine scenery.

Another one of my favorite things to do is take the ferry from Lower Town across the river and back.. you get an amazing view of the Chateau Frontenac and the old city....

oh, did I mention Quebec is probably my fav city???/ could ya tell??;)

Well, I can't say much about the hotels in Quebec city, my sister-in-law lives in Quebec, just near the Plains of Abraham and well... the rate is great, but the Internet access sucks!

A "buggy" is called a caleche in Quebec. (Cal-lesh).

If you want to have the most "Quebec" of meals, I suggest finding a nice poutine (try Chez Ashton), but not for those who are worried about a heart attack, since it's fries, cheese curds and brown gravy... delicious but heart clogging.

Of course, while Quebec city is beautiful, Montreal is the whole package... an old city with nice people and a night life to kill for.

This line from that article gave me the best laugh; " In fact, Quebec City, in a scaled-down sort of way, is Paris and haute cuisine without the haughtiness."

I laughed because in the rest of Quebec, we think of the people from Quebec City as snobs. Like the fact that they numbered the regions of Quebec, with Quebec city being region 1 and Montreal I think was region 16 (Montreal is the largest city, the economic engine of the province.)

In any case, as long as you either apologize for not speaking French or you at least try to speak some French they will be very open and helpful. In fact, I was there for Carnival this year and I was surprised at how open and nice the people from Quebec City were. We were wondering if they had a sudden influx from the rest of the province. :D

Incidentally, the newest "thing" in Montreal and Quebec city are winter outdoor spas. Yes, you get into a hot tub and then walk around with nothing but your towel. Supposed to be great for the skin.

I laughed because in the rest of Quebec, we think of the people from Quebec City as snobs. Like the fact that they numbered the regions of Quebec, with Quebec city being region 1 and Montreal I think was region 16 (Montreal is the largest city, the economic engine of the province.)

Actually, Québec City is region no. 3. Region no. 1 is Bas-St-Laurent.;)

Don't have any personal knowledge of Hotel 71, but the pics on the website do look good, and the location is excellent for the port, right behind the Musée de la civilisation, which in turn in right accross the street from the port. Nice area, with lots of shops and restaurants.

• 1 month later...
In any case, as long as you either apologize for not speaking French or you at least try to speak some French they will be very open and helpful. In fact, I was there for Carnival this year and I was surprised at how open and nice the people from Quebec City were. We were wondering if they had a sudden influx from the rest of the province. :D

In Paris Bonjour and Merci go a long way to being accepted!

• 1 month later...

Could someone who lives in/near Quebec City suggest a taxi company which would offer private driving day tours? We are wanting to do a scenic/foliage type tour with little walking and very little shopping.

Thanks er. . . "Merci" for any help! :)

Cruzin Lady

Can anyone suggest a good place in Quebec City to get crepes? When I lived there in 1985 there was a little place right down near Chateau Frontenac (practically right on the doorstep to the Chateau) but I'm not sure if it is still there or not. :)

Bonjour à vous,

that crêperie still exists ! It's called

Crêperie le Petit Château

5, rue Saint-Louis

Québec, QC G1R 3Y8

418 694-1616 Fax 418 694-7355

There is also another crêperie not very far:

Crêperie Au Petit Coin Breton

1029, rue Saint-Jean,

Québec,

(418) 694-0758

Enjoy !