Could Jeanne prevent boarding on Saturday?

laginog

I was just watching the weather channel and we're supposed to board the Caribbean Princess on Saturday in Fort Lauderdale. It looks like Jeanne is going to be coming pretty close to Florida on Friday and Saturday. Will the CP be able to get back in safely and will they be able to get our group aboard and on our way? I'm not sure what weather they're showing you guys down in Florida but sometimes they show you different things than what we see up here in Illinois!! We don't get in until almost midnight Friday night. Just wonder if we should have an "alternate plan" of some sort, just in case. Or....does it look like we have a pretty good chance of Jeanne turning and going north and avoiding land?? Any suggestions???

My husband and i will be going on CP 9/25 also. He said there is a chance that it could effect things. But also a good chance it won't. Too soon to tell. At worst we would board on Sunday instead and loose a day at sea.

These are just his opinions. Wish i had more info for you.

Jenn

I didn't mean to start anything....I just wondered if we should try to change our flights to something earlier or make some other "alternative" plans! We would have kids to get out of school early that way and a couple of us would have to plan to take off work early too. Now...it looks like it may be Sunday before the "main part" of Jeanne gets very close to Florida. SO....maybe we'll be "out to sea" before the "main part" gets too close, like Sue mentions!!!

I was reading the Sun Sentinel this morning (Ft Laud/Mia newspaper) they said we shouldn't feel the effects of Jeanne until late Sat night to early Sunday.

Doubt the sun will be shining but you should be fine to get on your ship.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

I agree with Sue, these things have a mind of their own so stay informed. If it si within your control get to the ship sooner rather then later. early departures to avoid an incomming storm are not uncommon. With serious weather situations it becomes what is best for the ship and its passengers. IMHO that is the way it should be too. :)

Have a great cruise.

Right now it appears that Jeanne will still be on the other side of the Bahamas on Saturday, so you should be able to board and sail without any problems. Just watch the news to make sure she doesn't suddenly decide to speed up or something. We're just waiting patiently to see where she decides to 'bump' before she starts her slide up the state!

TinaLee

Hurricane Jeanne-Marine Safety Information Bulletin

09/23/2004 1:30:12 PM Marine Safety Information Bulletin- Hurricane JEANNE

Port Readiness Condition FOUR (Port Condition WHISKEY) 72 HOUR ALERT

Time: 0900 /Date: September 23, 2004

Prohibited Operations: None at this time

Authorized Operations: All

Current Actions: Waterfront facilities should begin removing any potential flying debris, hazardous materials and oil pollution hazards from dockside areas. Coast Guard Survey Teams will be deployed to conduct initial or follow-up port surveys.

Anticipated Future Actions: Ports, facilities and operations should anticipate the following actions as the storm approaches, and adjust operations accordingly:

Port Readiness Condition 3 (Port Condition X-Ray): tropical storm force winds within 48 hours (anticipate approximately 1500 September 23, 2004)

All oceangoing commercial vessels greater than 500 gross tons must prepare to depart the port and shall depart the port immediately upon setting of Port Condition 2 (Yankee). Vessels that are unable to depart the port must contact the Captain of the Port to request permission to remain in port. Proof of facility owner/operator approval will be required. Container terminal operators shall reduce container stack heights to no more than two crates high, or propose alternate security arrangements to the Captain of the Port.

Port Readiness Condition 2 (Port Condition Yankee): tropical storm force winds within 24 hours (anticipate approximately 1500 September 24, 2004)

Ports will be closed to inbound vessel and cargo operations not associated with storm preparations Ocean-going commercial vessels greater than 500 gross tons must depart from the port. Outbound vessel traffic and cargo handling within the port in preparation for the storm are permitted.

Port Readiness Condition 1(Port Condition Zulu): tropical storm force winds within 12 hours (anticipate approximately 0300 September 25, 2004)

Ports will be closed to inbound vessel and cargo traffic. A safety zone prohibiting all vessel movement within the ports will be established.

The Captain of the Port may be reached at (305) 535-8701, or via Channel 16 VHF FM Marine Radio through Coast Guard Sector Miami.

JAMES MAES

Captain, U.S. Coast Guard

Captain of the Port

Lets not panic yet. If you have plans to fly in tomorrow do it. If you are going down saturday monitor the weather

This isn't the absolute track yet. We are trying to get all the info we can find out there so all of you can see it!! And keep up with it as we are!! On saturday it is still in the bahamas, so the ports will wait to close when it isn't safe. They don't want to close either. I am sure they are tracking the naval weather as well. Here is that site.......http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/04_ATL_11L.JEANNE_ssmi_gif_full.html

Agree with Sue.......unfortunately it is just too early to tell.......Pt. Canaveral is a shallower port and this may not affect Ft. Lauderdale at all.........however, if you can get to FL tomorrow, I would sure do it and prepare for anything.

This isn't the absolute track yet. We are trying to get all the info we can find out there so all of you can see it!! And keep up with it as we are!! On saturday it is still in the bahamas, so the ports will wait to close when it isn't safe. They don't want to close either. I am sure they are tracking the naval weather as well. Here is that site.......http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages...i_gif_full.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest from princess

9/23/2004

Hurricane Update

September 23, 2004 -- Updated 3:00 pm PDT

Princess Cruises is closely monitoring the current and projected path of Hurricane Jeanne in order to ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and crew, which is always our foremost priority. The following is an update of Princess' sailings in the region.

Caribbean Princess Voyage B439

Caribbean Princess is currently sailing on a Western Caribbean itinerary. The itinerary for the remainder of the voyage is:

Port Date Arrival Departure

At Sea Thurs 23 Sep

Nassau Fri 24 Sep 8 am 6:30 pm

Port Everglades Sat 25 Sep 7 am

We are continuing to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Jeanne and will post any updates to this information on our web site, http://www.princess.com.

Archived