Could Jeanne prevent boarding on Saturday?

laginog

The port is currently at alert level Whiskey (W) meaning there are expected tropical storm force winds 72 hours away. No restricted traffic now.

level Xray (X) will ensue when TS force winds are 48 hours away -- a high alert level and ships should be ready to depart

level Yankee (Y) when 24 hours away, port closed to all vessels over 500 tons (all cruise ships).

Looking at current projections there would likely be tropical storm force winds in the FLL and Miami area by 2pm on Saturday. If this would hold true then it is unlikely you would leave on Saturday as the ship would be dropping off passengers into a danger zone and having to leave immediately. This is based on Princess' actions with the recent situation with Frances and the 9/4 departure that ended up delayed. I was on that trip and I feel your anxiety and frustration with the uncertainity, not knowing whether to go down there and possibly put yourself in a storm for a ship that may not be there vs. going later and missing the boat. Call princess. At least now they do have a hurricane update on their web page, though at the time I'm writing this, is says they expect to dock on Sat at port everglades, and they don't mention your voyage. They have been doing much better giving out info after the fracas with Frances. But this is an inexact science. They don't want to commit until they have more data (and it really is hard to blame them, they want to keep you and their current passengers and their ship and crew as safe as possible.) My guess is that they will make a decision tomorrow am or early afternoon.

This storm is not as large as Frances or as powerful, so if it slows tonight then you have a good chance to go Saturday. It is good that you have a late flight, as that will give you more of the day tomorrow to decide. If they close the airport then your airline will likely let you rebook without penalty. The trick is to get the decision as soon as princess releases it so you can change flights while there are still seats available.

Depending on the timing of the storm (Frances really slowed down as it neared FL) you could possibly end up like us with at worst a 5 day trip. If so, if you can get there, go and enjoy -- we had a great short cruise and I would do it again.

You can count on Princess to keep you safe -- that is the most important part. They may not communicate as quickly or as well as you might wish, but I hear they are getting better. I would call and re-confirm whatever you hear, because last time there were a lot of mixed messages coming from 1-800-princess.

Again I feel your anxiety. Sure, its only a cruise, and others are in much worse situations waiting for yet another storm to bear down on them. It goes without saying that they are the ones who really need our prayers and God's mercy. But having been there, I know what you are going through now. I would encourage you to make the decision that will keep you and yours safe no matter what.

BTW, I like the summary of info at weather underground. They have the info sumarized from Noaa and others in a easy to find fashion, updated at 8a, 11a, 2p, 5p, 8p, 11p, 2a with occasional other updates. If you read the discussions, you really learn a lot.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411_5day.html

We'll be watching with you, hoping it all goes away from Florida and everyone can go about their business.

This was posted on another thread at 4 PM from someone on the Carribean Pricess right now. Doesn't look good for getting on the ship on Saturday.

We are not going no Nassau anymore...

Captain just told us that we are turning around and heading south again. We have been hitting pretty big waves the latest hours...

Nassau is being replaced by a sea day and after that we don't know yet...

Hurricane Jeanne Update

09/24/2004 12:00:27 PM

The U.S. Coast Guard has raised the Port Readiness to Condition Three (Port Condition X-RAY).

No operations are prohibited at this time.

It is anticipated that the USCG Captain of the Port will stop inbound ship traffic at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 24. All ship traffic -- inbound and outbound -- is anticipated to stop as of 6 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 25. However, Port Everglades will remain open landside for vehicular traffic.

NOTE WORD ANTICIPATED!!!

This certainly doesn't sound good. However, I just called 1 800 Princess and they informed me that everything is still on (maybe we will go out of Miami?). It doesn't look like it will hit us directly, so I doubt they will cancel the cruise. They may simply go to Miami (about 30 miles south) or delay it a day or two like they did for Frances. I have no idea what is going to happen next.

Kip

12:08 PM EDT

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9751104.htm

Port Everglades closing to marine traffic early Saturday morning

By Herald staff reports

Port Everglades will close to marine traffic -- including cruise ships and other vessels -- at 3 a.m. Saturday.

That's when tropical storm-force winds are expected to hit the county, officials at Broward's Emergency Operations Center announced today.

The port announcement comes after a hurricane watch was issued for South Florida and most of the state's East Coast this morning as Hurricane Jeane edges ever-closer. It was predicted to strike or brush the coast early Sunday as a major Category 3 hurricane with 115-mph winds.

The hurricane watch is in effect from Florida City in south Miami-Dade County all the way to St. Augustine in northeast Florida. It means that hurricane conditions -- sustained winds of at least 74 mph -- are possible within 36 hours. A flood watch could be declared later today. Five to 10 inches of rain are possible in some areas.

I know all this info is coming out on the news, but the latest port alert remains the same!

Hurricane Jeanne Update

09/24/2004 12:14:41 PM
The U.S. Coast Guard has raised the Port Readiness to Condition Three (Port Condition X-RAY).

No operations are prohibited at this time.

It is anticipated that the USCG Captain of the Port will stop inbound ship traffic at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 24. All ship traffic -- inbound and outbound -- is anticipated to stop as of 6 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 25. However, Port Everglades will remain open landside for vehicular traffic.

Cruise passengers should contact their cruise lines for updated information.

[b]9/24/2004[/b]

[b]Hurricane Jeanne Update[/b]

September 24, 2004 -- [i]Updated 1:30 pm PDT [/i]

Princess Cruises is closely monitoring the current and projected path of Hurricane Jeanne in order to ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and crew, which is always our foremost priority. The following is an update of Princess' sailings in the region.

[b]Caribbean Princess Voyage B439 -- Originally Scheduled to Arrive on Saturday, September 25[/b]

Because Port Everglades will be closed on Saturday, September 25 and Sunday, September 26, Caribbean Princess is expected to arrive from its current sailing Monday, September 27, in the morning.

Princess is currently re-booking air flights for those passengers who made their air arrangements through Princess. These new flights will be communicated to passengers onboard, once they are confirmed.

Princess is currently making every effort to advise all travel agents with passengers booked of the itinerary change, and advising them to re-schedule the air flights for those passengers who have made independent flight arrangements.

Passengers onboard Caribbean Princess will be able to use the internet and phone services, on a complimentary basis, to make alternate travel arrangements and to advise family members, as needed.

[b]Caribbean Princess Voyage B440 -- Originally Scheduled to Depart on Saturday, September 25[/b]

Because of the delay returning to Port Everglades, this cruise is now scheduled to depart on Monday, September 27 at 10 pm.

As the ship's sailing schedule has been shortened by two days, the itinerary has been changed to a 5-day Western Caribbean route to provide passengers with the optimum port experience. Unfortunately, Caribbean Princess' delayed departure will not allow the ship to make its original calls, and we regret any disappointment this may cause. The new itinerary will be:

[size=2]Fort Lauderdale [/size][size=2]Mon 27 Sep Depart at [/size][size=2]10 pm [/size]
[size=2]At Sea [/size][size=2]Tues 28 Sep[/size]
[size=2]Costa Maya [/size][size=2]Wed 29 Sep Arrive [/size][size=2]8 am Depart [/size][size=2]5 pm[/size]
[size=2]Cozumel [/size][size=2]Thurs 30 Sep Arrive [/size][size=2]7 am Depart [/size][size=2]6 pm[/size]
[size=2]At Sea [/size][size=2]Fri 1 Oct[/size]
[size=2]Port Everglades [/size][size=2]Sat 2 Oct Arrive [/size][size=2]7 am[/size]

Passengers and their travel agents are currently being contacted to advise them of this change, and are being advised to make alternative flight arrangements. Passengers who have booked their air through Princess will automatically be rescheduled on new flights arriving in Fort Lauderdale Monday, September 27.

Because of the change in itinerary, passengers will receive a 30% refund on their cruise fare. In addition, each passenger will receive a discount on a future Princess cruise. This credit will be $100 for an inside cabin; $150 for an outside cabin; $200 for a balcony cabin; or $250 for a minisuite or suite.

Passengers will be responsible for the cost of their own incidentals relating to travel to the ship.

If passengers are unable to continue with their plans to sail on this voyage, they may choose between a future cruise credit and a full refund. We are continuing to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Jeanne and will post any updates to this information on our web site, [url="http://www.princess.com/"]www.princess.com[/url].

Archived