Latest Weather

Yippee, its almost time to go! We leave in one week and are starting to pack. Ok, ok, I admit it, I'm mostly packed now. BUT on checking out the local weather websites - and if my conversions are accurate - its looking like we can expect rain and cooler weather. We'll be there March 7 through 23, any best guesses on the weather/trend? Sweatshirts and sweaters and warm coats are sounding like the things to pack instead of shorts and t-shirts.

Our ports are:

Auckland

Tauranga

Dunedin

Christchurch

Hobart

Melbourne

Sydney

We were just there in late January and early February (same ports) and that would have been the middle of the summer for them. Even then, the weather was usually warm, but not too hot, but there were days of light rain...

By now, they are heading into their autumn, and the weather will become even cooler, so you would be better to think "layers" so you can make quick changes as things change....

Also, be prepared to carry an umbrella, just in case!

You WILL enjoy your cruise :)

Got the rain part covered. I grew up in BC and then lived in Oregon for 12 years so know about rain, err ah I mean liquid sunshine. Went to the dollar store and everyone got a throw away rain coat and an umbrella :D for Christmas. Santa is a smart one. I was more wondering how cool/cold it was going to be out there on those balconies with the wind blowing in our hair, the sun / rain shining down on us. We have some little ones (3 YO & 6 mo) with us as well as 3 older ones (78-84) so want to make sure they bring the appropriate clothes. Ear muffs for my mom....

Got the rain part covered. I grew up in BC and then lived in Oregon for 12 years so know about rain, err ah I mean liquid sunshine. Went to the dollar store and everyone got a throw away rain coat and an umbrella :D for Christmas. Santa is a smart one. I was more wondering how cool/cold it was going to be out there on those balconies with the wind blowing in our hair, the sun / rain shining down on us. We have some little ones (3 YO & 6 mo) with us as well as 3 older ones (78-84) so want to make sure they bring the appropriate clothes. Ear muffs for my mom....

I know what you mean - I was born and raised in Vancouver. Talk about wet weather! I didn't know there was any other color than "Grey" before moving to California....

For March, the average temps using Melbourne, Australia as an example, are High 75 and Low 54 with an average of 1.80 inches of rain....

Hope that helps!! :)

HI!

Well I can only speak for Sydney - we have been experiencing a run of unseasonally wet weather - just last night Sydney experienced a one in 20 year storm (30mm in an hour - just over an inch I think?). Just be prepared for changeable weather - one minute very warm then suddenly raining (and often humid!!). I hope that we can put on our best weather for your trip - a beautiful city any season! ENJOY!

New Zealand is always cooler than here. Particulalry with little ones I would agree with going 'layers' - one - it is easier to adjust to weather and secondly you always have a clean shirt :p !!

Dea :)

I'm not sure an umbrella would have been any help yesterday. In fact I can attest that it wasn't. The only thing that would have possibly kept you dry yesterday if you were caught in it would've been full wet weather gear. But as Dea stated it was a 1 in 20 year storm.

So maybe bring a waterproof jacket as well

Archived