medication question

R&R sail again

We are traveling to Florida for a 10 day Caribbean cruise in three weeks. I checked the Delta website to see about traveling with medications. From what I read, it sounds like you don't have to put them in the see thru bags (like we did a year ago) when you go through the security. Can anyone tell me of any restrictions or rules regarding medications that we might run into at the airport or getting on/off the ship. JUst want to be prepared. Thanks for your help.

The liquid law still holds true but if they are just pills we always keep them in a 14 day planner and have never had any problems. My DH is diabetic and is insulin dependant so we just let them know when we get up there for our search. Last year they reached into the suit case but I also tell them I would rather they did not touch anything as who knows what germs are on their hands.

Just to be safe we always have our Dr. make out all of his prescribed meds. on a prescription note pad paper. We have never had any trouble though.

We encountered more time spent searching our meds. from Royal Caribbean last year than any where else. Just be patient and if you don't have anything to hide you will be fine. ;)

The liquid law still holds true but if they are just pills we always keep them in a 14 day planner and have never had any problems. My DH is diabetic and is insulin dependant so we just let them know when we get up there for our search. Last year they reached into the suit case but I also tell them I would rather they did not touch anything as who knows what germs are on their hands.

Just to be safe we always have our Dr. make out all of his prescribed meds. on a prescription note pad paper. We have never had any trouble though.

ALL Rx meds should travel in a container with an ORIGINAL label from the pharmacy. A container with days of the week just won't cut it - there's no way to explain what they are.

Yes, I know folks report on this board that they travel with their pills in their planners ALL the time, but I believe the regs do require the labelling.

I get most of my meds from the mail-order component of my pharmacy plan. They come in very large bottles not compatible for travelling. I saved up some small bottles from the local pharmacy (you can also ask the pharmacist for some) & then used the re-fill order sticker. It has the name of the med, strength, Drs. name - everything that's on a regular pharmacy label.

But to answer the OPs question - pills don't have to be in the 1-quart zip-top baggie. I still put all of our pill bottles in a separate baggie, just so that they were easy to find & if they did accidentally open, didn't get dispersed all over the carry-on bag. :eek:

In December, Sail7Seas and I discussed this when we met up in Florida. We were both surprised that we were required to put our lipstick in ziplock bags... we both came from different airports, and flew different airlines.

As far as I can tell - it's so random; one week yes, the next week no.

My DH travels with a pretty good assortment of meds - as Susan says above, we he always keeps them in the original containers. My Mom used to use a daily "planner" for pills until she was stopped by TSA. Now she makes sure she has the original containers for travel.

I travel with my planner in my purse and the original prescription bottles in my carry on in a zippered toiletries bag. Most of the time it goes through without any searches, but a couple of times it has been opened and searched.

The HAL website says to carry prescriptions in their original containers. This is also helpful to the patient in case you need to see the doctor onboard or in a port. The physician can tell exactly what medication you're on and the dosage.

Roz

My Mom used to use a daily "planner" for pills until she was stopped by TSA. Now she makes sure she has the original containers for travel.

Just curious - what happened to Mom's meds when TSA stopped her? Were they confiscated since they weren't identified?

I'd sure hate to have that happen. :(

Archived