All Things LIBERTY of the Seas

krmlaw

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum(loving it so far) and I'm planning to book a cruise on LOS for Nov. 2010. I have one question:

I'm very interested in booking one of those interior staterooms that overlook the Royal Promenade. However I have read that there are some noise issues with these staterooms. Anyone has any experience with these? Is it better (quieter) if you take one of staterooms in the higher decks? Actually that is more than one question. lol

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum(loving it so far) and I'm planning to book a cruise on LOS for Nov. 2010. I have one question:

I'm very interested in booking one of those interior staterooms that overlook the Royal Promenade. However I have read that there are some noise issues with these staterooms. Anyone has any experience with these? Is it better (quieter) if you take one of staterooms in the higher decks? Actually that is more than one question. lol

Hi we had those staterooms on Adventure and Mariner and we enjoyed them. I didn't think they were noisy except when there was a parade in the Promenade. You really have a good view of anything that goes on down there from the bay window.

I sailed with Jen ~ she writes extremely detailed reviews and she is soo sweet!! I didn't go to the code lunch with them but if memory serves me it was a "clue" game about the ship - people work in teams to crack the "code" and then a special lunch in Portofino (?)

Correction: It's called the Liberty Code not the the Cruise Code. Above is what someone wrote about the game "Liberty Code".

Edited by cynt

First of all, that's the most complete, most professional looking review I've ever seen! Great job! My question is the game mentioned "Liberty Code". Anyone have nay details? I started a couple of threads asking for answers about "The Code"; no replies yet.

The Liberty code was fun .... do not play with someone who's extremely competitive !!!

I sailed with Jen ~ she writes extremely detailed reviews and she is soo sweet!! I didn't go to the code lunch with them but if memory serves me it was a "clue" game about the ship - people work in teams to crack the "code" and then a special lunch in Portofino (?)

Marcia, you're too sweet!! Big hugs to you and Mark :)

Wish we could sail again soon! :cool:

We just booked on the 4/11/10 W. Caribbean! Very excited :-) I've been reading through this thread, but it is insanely long!!! A couple of questions:

1. When you come onboard with carry-on luggage will they let you sneak into room and drop off luggage? On NCL they had the doors to the hallways closed until they were finished.

2. Do all rooms have mini-fridges? We have a D1 balcony.

3. When you get on the first day can you somehow get tickets to the ice show and tickets to do ice skating right away?

4. Can you wait until the same day to make reservations to Chops/Portofino?

5. Johnny Rockets: I see that there is a service charge ($4.95, right?)....do you pay that charge + the food? Are the food prices similar to what is on land?

6. What kinds of shops are in the promenade? Is it all just the cheesy duty free stuff? Or are there actually good brand stuff?

7. How do you get the stewards to change the sheets mid-week? Just ask, or will they automatically do that?

8. In room entertainment: I have read that they have disabled the inputs on the TV....but do they have like pay-per-view (like hotels) in the room?

Phew sorry! I think that is it right now :-)

We just booked on the 4/11/10 W. Caribbean! Very excited :-) I've been reading through this thread, but it is insanely long!!! A couple of questions:

1. When you come onboard with carry-on luggage will they let you sneak into room and drop off luggage? On NCL they had the doors to the hallways closed until they were finished. (NO - Usually cabins are not available until 1 or 2 pm)

2. Do all rooms have mini-fridges? We have a D1 balcony. (I believe all cabins do but I know D1 cabins do have the mini-fridges)

3. When you get on the first day can you somehow get tickets to the ice show and tickets to do ice skating right away? (Tickets to the Ice Show will be available later in the week. The Ice Rink will be available for skating on various days but not on Embarkation Day. Don't forget to bring long pants if you plan to skate.)

4. Can you wait until the same day to make reservations to Chops/Portofino? (Yes. Some time slots may be booked but you should have little trouble getting a table)

5. Johnny Rockets: I see that there is a service charge ($4.95, right?)....do you pay that charge + the food? Are the food prices similar to what is on land? (ALL Food is included in the $4.95 price (this is supposed to also include the gratuity). Drinks are additional)

6. What kinds of shops are in the promenade? Is it all just the cheesy duty free stuff? Or are there actually good brand stuff? (Don't know about Liberty but on other ships I have never been overly impressed with what is available in the shops on board. Somewhere between cheesy and good would be my opinion).

7. How do you get the stewards to change the sheets mid-week? Just ask, or will they automatically do that? (Just ask, that way you know it is done.)

8. In room entertainment: I have read that they have disabled the inputs on the TV....but do they have like pay-per-view (like hotels) in the room? (Yes you can purchase movies in your stateroom)

Phew sorry! I think that is it right now :-)

See comments in Red.

Hi!

One quick correction, we were on the Liberty in mid-dec and there were no tickets to the Ice Show, just show up about 20 min ahead of start time and you will be fine. If you like figure skating you may want to go early in the week, so you can always go again later. There were empty seats each time we went so we didn't feel bad about taking seats from someone that hadn't already seen it.

Oh...and we did drop off our carry on at about 12 in our rooms, maybe it depends on the Room Stewart.

Any other questions??

Danielle

I thought of one other thing, for those of you are going on a ship with a Sports Court for the first time. One of the things that surprised me was that the sports that are to be played at any given time are chosen by the ship. The Daily Compass gives times for the court, who is to be there and what sport. For example there was 1 1/2 hours of teen soccer one day. And 2 hours of Adult volleyball another day.

I guess I thought that if there were alot of people interested in playing a sport other than basketball (majority of the time was dedicated to basketball) that we would be able to 'request" court time. But unfortunately I doesn't work that way, the times are all pre-chosen at the beginning of the week, so the 2 hours of volleyball was all that was available for the whole week.

Not a complaint really, it just surprised me so I thought i'd mention it...

Danielle

• 4 weeks later...

We're going on Liberty on 6/20/10, my DH, myself and 2 grandkids ages 11 & 12 by then and I can't wait! Love RCCL and been on Majesty, Monarch, Vision and Explorer but not the Freedom class. My grandkids have never been on a ship and they should have a blast on & off the ship.

One question is whether they have "My Time Dining". First time to have a suite also (GS). Looking forward to having a little extra room and the perks. Will be keeping eye on any price drops too as we're sailing Oasis for the New Year's cruise.

Any tips for tweens would be helpful.:o

For those who have sailed on Liberty, what are the other food options other the Johnny Rockets/Chops/Portofino/Main dining? Our travel agent seemed to think there were several other options.

We sail June 20....

There is a Windjammer buffet, of course, which serves all three meals plus a late afternoon snack. On the Promenade is Sorrento's (good pizza and salads) and the Promenade Cafe (mostly desserts and sandwiches). And there is always room service!

We loved the food on our Liberty cruise. The kids especially loved a piece or two of Sorrento's pizza late at night!

There is a Windjammer buffet, of course, which serves all three meals plus a late afternoon snack. On the Promenade is Sorrento's (good pizza and salads) and the Promenade Cafe (mostly desserts and sandwiches). And there is always room service!

We loved the food on our Liberty cruise. The kids especially loved a piece or two of Sorrento's pizza late at night!

Sounds great. Thanks for the info.

re: Promenade shops-

there is a liquor store which also sells very overpriced tolietries and things you may have forgotten- batteries, tootpaste, etc/ Plan to pay double for the penalty of forgetting your toothbrush :rolleyes:. As you know, you don't get the liquor until the end of the cruise.

there is a Royal Caribbean branded item store- t-shirts, toys, magnets, postcards, hats, etc. Gotta come home w/ a t-shirt, right? As a family of 4 adults we ended up w/ 2 T's and 3 Sweatshirts.

there is a junky store with cheapy watches/ties/bags etc in the $10 range

there is small 'higher end' style store with a few pieces of a few 'tropical stle designer type' clothes- like maybe 10 Tommy Bahama things, little of this little of that.

there is a moderate jewelery store with things ranging from maybe $10 costume jewlery up to Swarovski crystal stuff. It did have some nice things.

and there is one nicer jewelery store with some gemstone stuff and a nice selection of watches. I got a nice Citizen eco-drive for less that I would have paid in the US.

For all of these things- you have to know what you would pay in the US and what your budget it. I researched the eco-drives ahead of time. I bought a Swarovski crystal necklace without researching because I genuinely liked it and wanted it as a momento of my cruise.

On the last day they had a 'sale rack' out on the promenade and had some deals on nice RCCL clothes- prob previous season stuff, but that didn't matter to me.

Note- the RCCL clothes sell out. If you see a shirt and it is your favorite, don't wait until the last day, it might be sold out in your size!

Even if shopping isn't your thing, there are often bands or performers on the Promenade, plus the food expo on the last sea day, plus parades, so you will find yourself there quite a bit to see them. 2 bars, plus the 2 snack places and ben & jerrys. Lots going on!

Also- the Ice Show fills to capacity on the first night and then it doesn't for the later nights. After being turned away during the first performance, we slid into another night's show about 2 seconds before the show started and got front row seats on the side. So go later!

How late are Sorrento's and the Promenade cafe open?