TOTORLA SUGGESTIONS

sassy sarah

• 2 weeks later...

If you dock at RoadTown, there are plenty of passenger vans/taxis right off the ship that will take you wherever you want to go. We took one over to Cane Garden Bay beach and it was very nice. I think it was $6 per person one way.

• 2 months later...

Cane Garden Beach is pretty good for snorkeling along the edge by the rocks. It is a very nice beach. Recommended. Besides for the Baths, shopping is expensive there, so the beach is your best bet. Make sure you arrange for a ride back.

While we were there in may, we hired Patouche Charters to take us on a 1/2 day snorkle. They were the best we have ever met. Just great people and spectacular spots they took us to. Saw a lot of marine life including a sea turtle. They are very reasonable too. http://www.patouche.com Tell them Dave at Joleda sent you. You will not be disappointed!

dave

Krazy Kruizers .... WOW! Was so happy to see your post on this thread!!! :) We always enjoy reading your helpful posts and respect your opinions and suggestions.

We've been lucky enough to have been to Tortola quite a few times so we have been to The Baths of Virgin Gorda (several times ... love it there), to Norman & Peter Islands ... as well as, naturally, Purssers Landing. (For anyone reading this who does not like water sports ... consider Purssers Landing which is nice & clean and you'll see sights going to & fro ... my aunt & uncle loved it. Don't stay in Roadtown or you'll be bored silly! :rolleyes: )

Unfortunately, we have NEVER been to Cane Garden Bay Beach! :( Really WANT to go there on our upcoming cruise which stops in Tortola. HELP! Did you take a taxi? Any and all info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I'm so behind the time, but really delighted to be going to Tortola on a Jan 9 Star Princess Carib cruise.

So, what's it like there? Is that just the title of a beach, or is it actual baths?

Sounds beautiful!! VK.

• 3 weeks later...

Both Tortola and Virgin Gorda are two separate islands, but are part of the Brittish Virgin Islands (BVI). Ships ususally dock at Roadtown in Tortola.

From there you can catch a 45 minute each way ferry to Virgin Gorda and catch an open air taxi about 15 minutes drive to the "Baths". So named because of the huge bolders that are around the beach and shore line. They create grottos that you can walk through and under, and snorkel around. Very pretty, but can get crowded when the cruise ships are in.

Tortola is a very beautiful, lush tropical, mountainous island. Just taking a taxi ride around the island is a beautiful, and roller coaster thrill ride!

I love Tortola for its lack of "touristy" shops. This place is probably like all of the major islands used to be many moons ago. Just beautiful every where you look. With breathtaking vistas to the left and right!

We have been fortunate to have visited twice. And I will pick a ship based on stopping in Tortola any day!

Our first visit we went to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Very beautiful and a must see. But it did get crowed in the afternoon.

On our second visit we wanted to explore Tortola. We took a cab ride around and ended up at Brewers' Bay for snorkeling. What fun! Very secluded, wonderful, wonderful snorkeling! I think I stayed in the water for at least four hours! And there is a nice little island bar right there for cold beverages. Our very nice taxi driver dropped us off and picked us up at the appointed time. NICE!

Sue Z.

Archived