Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Geocruiser; good safe location for a nights rest. If you can take advantage of their cruise ship package and use their shuttle you will save yourself a $35 to $40 cab fare and at the posted rate of $129 your net is $89 and there is no way you will find that downtown. Its been a while since I have been that far west on #3 Road and I am thinking that it may be a bit of a walk to a restaurant unless you eat at the hotel but that's the only negative that I can think of. Go for it!

Sorry if this has been asked & answered, I have hunted, but this thread is L-O-N-G....

Is there a cheap place near the Canada Place to buy soft drinks and beer by the 12 pack? Like a KMart or large grocery chain?

Shopper's Drug mart, London drugs and 7-11 are all within 3 - 4 blocks of Canada Place - the first two would have the best prices for the pop and there is a government liquor store across from Waterfront Station which is next door to Canada Place to get your beer - beer is not sold in grocery or convenience stores in BC. That liquor store is not open Sundays or late evenings so if your are traveling on a Sunday there is another government store several blocks away that is.

There are a number of private liquor stores that are opened 7 days a week but their prices are much higher.

Q? how to do plan on getting the beer on board the ship?

Cheers

Dennis

We are dropping the steakhouse dinner we had planned for our upcoming trip and want to replace it with a top notch sushi restaurant. Within walking distance of the Westin Grand is ideal but we will certainly cab it elsewhere if it is worth the trip. Thanks!

We are dropping the steakhouse dinner we had planned for our upcoming trip and want to replace it with a top notch sushi restaurant. Within walking distance of the Westin Grand is ideal but we will certainly cab it elsewhere if it is worth the trip. Thanks!

Top notch, top price. Try Tojo's.

http://www.tojos.com/ You can cab it from your hotel - probably a 10-minute cab ride, if that.

Or, for something good without the price tag, try Toshi on Main street. It's good without the pretentiousness. Long line ups though....And about a 15-minute cab ride for you

And if you want Japanese pub food (not sushi, though), try any of the izakayas. I like Kingyo on Denman or Hapa on Robson.

Top notch, top price. Try Tojo's.

http://www.tojos.com/

You can cab it from your hotel - probably a 10-minute cab ride, if that.

Menus without prices scare me. Should I be scared? :)

How does Tojo's compare with Shiro on Cambie (which is in the same general area as Tojo's)?

How does Tojo's compare with Shiro on Cambie (which is in the same general area as Tojo's)?

Yeah...pretty pricey. I personally would not pay the price if I had to pay for the bill myself.

Sorry, never been to Shiro so I can't comment.

Yeah...pretty pricey. I personally would not pay the price if I had to pay for the bill myself.

Sorry, never been to Shiro so I can't comment.

Several online reviews, along with Vancouver Magazine, place Yoshi's on Denman in the same class as Tojo's. The prices at Doshi's are much more reasonable that Tojo's (from what I can tell). Apparently the views of Coal Harbor are good, but the decor leaves a little to be desired...

Any thoughts on Yoshi's on Denman?

Several online reviews, along with Vancouver Magazine, place Yoshi's on Denman in the same class as Tojo's. The prices at Doshi's are much more reasonable that Tojo's (from what I can tell). Apparently the views of Coal Harbor are good, but the decor leaves a little to be desired...Any thoughts on Yoshi's on Denman?

Yes, it never even occurred to me to suggest Yoshi. We live just a few paces from it, but we've only been there a couple of times. We found the sushi good, but a little pricey for us to frequent often or to be our neighborhood sushi joint.

Here's their website:http://www.yoshijapaneserestaurant.com/menus

Bottom line: I would recommend it, if you're willing to spend a bit of money anyway. Definitely more reasonable than Tojo's, and you can walk to it from your hotel (about 20-25 minutes).

Can't really comment on the decor because I honestly do not take much notice of the decor in restaurants. Plus it has been about a year since I've been there - and we were on the Patio (great views) - so I don't know if the decor has changed.

Yes, it never even occurred to me to suggest Yoshi. We live just a few paces from it, but we've only been there a couple of times. We found the sushi good, but a little pricey for us to frequent often or to be our neighborhood sushi joint.

Here's their website:http://www.yoshijapaneserestaurant.com/menus

Bottom line: I would recommend it, if you're willing to spend a bit of money anyway. Definitely more reasonable than Tojo's, and you can walk to it from your hotel (about 20-25 minutes).

Can't really comment on the decor because I honestly do not take much notice of the decor in restaurants. Plus it has been about a year since I've been there - and we were on the Patio (great views) - so I don't know if the decor has changed.

Thanks for the insight.

And the prices seem far from expensive to me. I am not sure what the average prices are in Vancouver, but we are used to paying $5-7 per Maki or Temaki rolls off the dinner menu at most average to above-average places here in NY. Unless the price on the Yoshi's website are outdated, their prices are signigicantly lower than that.

With all that said, we will give Yoshi's a go!

We want to purchase some wines from the area. Is there a wine store near the pier? Or possibly on Granville? We will be staying one night pre cruise at the Pan Pacific.

Yes, there is a Liquor Store near the Pan Pacific. It is in Harbour Centre, 555 West Hastings. It is open mon-sat from 10AM to 6PM, and it is less than a 5-minute walk from Pan Pacific.

If you want a liquor store that's open on Sundays, you'd have to go to the one on Alberni and Thurlow (1120 Alberni). It is open on Sundays from 11AM to 6PM.

I can get low rate on a rental car in Vancouver. I want to decide if it is cheaper to rent than taking taxis for two days. The deal breaker is cost of parking. How expensive is parking around Vancouver

Parking can be as much as $20/day. Are you staying in downtown Vancouver? If so, you may not even need a car or get a cab - that is, depending on what activities you have planned and where you plan on going.

If you plan on just staying in downtown Vancouver, I say ditch the car or cab. Downtown is easily walkable, and taking the bus in the downtown core is good enough. I live in downtown and looking for parking and driving through traffic is more trouble than it's worth.

Can we DROP a rental car at Canada Place kiosk? (I had read on a Vancouver cruise info website that Avis, Budget & National have kiosks at Canada Pl.)

OR are there any drop locations in nearby hotels, etc?

OR do we have to drop at airport?

[We're renting car at SEA and driving into Vanc -- departing on cruise from Canada Place on a Friday -- We may be driving into downtown from Blaine the morning we embark, -OR- we may stay in a downtown hotel 1 nt before embarking.]

Any comments on idea of staying in Blaine at the resort that was an old cannery...

Hello-

My husband and I are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and want to have dinner on Granville Island at either Dockside Brewing Company, Dockside Restaurant or the Granville Room.

Any recommendations on the above restaurants (entertainment coupons) and how do we get to/from Granville Island in the evening from the Fairmont?

Thanks in advance :D

Can we DROP a rental car at Canada Place kiosk? (I had read on a Vancouver cruise info website that Avis, Budget & National have kiosks at Canada Pl.)

National has a kiosk at Canada Place. I do not think that either Avis or Budget has a kiosk at Canada Place.

OR are there any drop locations in nearby hotels, etc?

Avis has a location pretty much at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on Hornby street and W. Georgia. It is about a 5-minute walk to the terminal, if that.

Budget is on the corner of Homer and Georgia, which is about a 10-minute walk from the terminal. You might notice that their website lists a location at Canada Place, but as far as I know this is not the case. You might want to double-check with them though.

OR do we have to drop at airport?

You're best to contact the car rental company for this info; it will depend on the terms of your agreement. Most car rental companies will let you drop off the vehicle in their downtown locations.

[We're renting car at SEA and driving into Vanc -- departing on cruise from Canada Place on a Friday -- We may be driving into downtown from Blaine the morning we embark, -OR- we may stay in a downtown hotel 1 nt before embarking. Any comments on idea of staying in Blaine at the resort that was an old cannery...
Can't really comment on the resort in Blaine, but I would say that the border line ups can be unpredictable. So if you are driving from Blaine on the morning you embark, allow some time for delays at the border.

Hello-

My husband and I are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront and want to have dinner on Granville Island at either Dockside Brewing Company, Dockside Restaurant or the Granville Room.

Any recommendations on the above restaurants (entertainment coupons) and how do we get to/from Granville Island in the evening from the Fairmont?

Thanks in advance :D

Granville Room is on Granville Street and it's in the bar/club area of downtown (it's not in Granville Island). It's a lounge/restaurant, but I feel it's really more a lounge than a restaurant.

I would personally choose Dockside over Granville Room. Dockside has a nice patio. Dockside Brewing and Dockside Restaurant is the same place - sort of. The Brewery is the loung-y/pub-y part; the Dockside Restaurant is the restaurant part...The location is waaaay better, and the atmosphere more relaxed, than the Granville Room.

Your best bet is to take a cab from your hotel to get to Granville Island. Another option, if you're not averse to walking about 20 minutes to the foot of Hornby, is to take the Aquabus. Or you can take the Aquabus to Granville Island and take a cab back (the Aquabus I think stops service at 10PM)

The only upside to the Granville Room, IMHO, is that you can walk there. But that is not enough for me to want to go there, especially if a nice dinner is what I am after.