Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

You should end up at or near the existing Waterfront station and from there it's a two minute walk to Canada Place - until the new station opens in approx a month I can't give an exact answer but it won't be very far.

Cheers

Dennis

Where is the station closest to Canada Place for the new line? I will be in Vancouver in September & this might be a better way to VYR than the airporter. Thanks for all the great advice.:)

The closest station will be Waterfront Station. The entrance is a half block from Canada Place.

Here's a link to some pictures and video from someone who had a preview ride on the Canada Line:

http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2009/07/the-buzzer-rides-the-canada-line/

She describes the entrance to the new line as being on the southwest corner of Waterfront Station.

Where is the station closest to Canada Place for the new line? I will be in Vancouver in September & this might be a better way to VYR than the airporter. Thanks for all the great advice.:)

Waterfront station (the northern end of the line) is next door to Canada Place.

Hopefully this map shows it in more detail for you

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287515,-123.111913&spn=0.008482,0.022724&z=16

I haven't walked in and out of the new stations yet, as they're not open yet, but I'm suspecting/hoping you'll be able to exit from the platform level to be able to use the escalator right next to Canada Place. I'll post a full review and some pics as soon as it opens.

Hi Putter: Been reading your great answers to all questions. Here is miine--arrive early afternoon for cruise at 5 pm next day. After check in, should we walk to Stanley Park, and? Probably will be exhausted from plane & early wakeup that morning, but want to see all can. Planning to take the Vancouver City Tour with Capilano Bridge the next day and to Ballantyne Pier for ship. Do u think doing this will enable us to see the most that represents Vancouver? We are a couple 60ish, doing land tour after cruise, thanks so much for any help. Also, why do they refer to anchorage as ALE, not ANC? Just wondering, Elaine

:rolleyes: You Guys are so helpful, so can I ask you another question please?

On our Celebrity Mercury cruise from Vancouver in mid October we will be calling at Victoria for a day. We have spent time in Victoria in the past but have never visited Butchart Gardens. Will the gardens still be worth visiting in October?

On our Celebrity Mercury cruise from Vancouver in mid October we will be calling at Victoria for a day. We have spent time in Victoria in the past but have never visited Butchart Gardens. Will the gardens still be worth visiting in October?

Yes!

I posted the following a few pages back:

Butchart Gardens is lovely in the fall. There will still be lots of flowering plants.

Here's a link to someone's photo album of the gardens in mid-October:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/207085886tLHMtZ

Do take a look at the link to the pictures. It will give you a good idea of what to expect.

ell

:)

Here's a little update regarding accessing the new Canada Line Waterfront Station stop - I have a chance today to walk around downtown and see if I could figure how how it fits in with the other routes and thanks to a nice Skytrain attendant at Waterfront Station I was able to get the following information.

1. The Canada Line level is one above the existing lines.

2. If you enter Waterfront station from the main entrance on Cordova - you will turn left and the stairs etc down are right there.

3. If you are coming from the Street by Canada Place - down the escalator to the exisiting platform - walk to the end of the platform and you will see the new stairwell/escalator to the Canada Line.

4. From the food court you will join #3 at the bottom of the escalator.

5. There is also street access on Granville between Pender and Hastings.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Locals and visitor's alike - tomorrow from 2PM to 7PM you can have a chance to get a sneak preview of the new Canada Line Vancouver Center station - it is being open to the public as part of a street party in the 700 Block Granville to promote the completion of the route. Now if they would only get their rears in gear and finish the paving and construction on Granville so we can all once again enjoy the street.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi we just booked a cruise leaving from Vancouver. We have done cruises before leaving from Canada Place and usually come in the day before. In the past we stayed out in Langley but this time we want to stay somewhere closer to port. I know parking is at a premium and we have a full size pickup truck so we need someplace where we can park this. Does anyplace come to mind?

Thanks,

Eileen

Hi we just booked a cruise leaving from Vancouver. We have done cruises before leaving from Canada Place and usually come in the day before. In the past we stayed out in Langley but this time we want to stay somewhere closer to port. I know parking is at a premium and we have a full size pickup truck so we need someplace where we can park this. Does anyplace come to mind?

Thanks,

Eileen

If you want to stay downtown, you can park here:http://www.cruisepark.com/home.php

If you do not want to stay downtown, but still be a bit closer to town, maybe get a cruise and park package. Check out these deals in Richmond (the Radisson's package seems like a good deal): http://www.cruisepark.com/home.php

You may also want to consider the Accent Inn in Richmond. They used to offer stay and park packages. Not sure if they still do, though, but it may be worth a try.

Edited by orchid72

Just returned from Alaska via Vancouver

Thanks for all info .Vancouver is a GREAT place LOVED IT

I think if I left Montreal Vancouver would be a definite choice .

Thanks for all GREAT advice

Loved Stanley park ,Queen Elizabeth Park Chinatown Gastown

Missed Grouse mountain ..i have an excuse to return

LOVED YOUR TREES !!!WOW talk about size WOOWEE

Good luck with Olympics You guys have the BEST fruit grown in BC DELICIOUS esp your nectarines

Michele

You better be ready by the end of next week as I leave Friday for Banff and a week of hiking in the Rockies so I won't have much internet access once I leave Vancouver.

I see Mike Weir gets a hole in one at the Canadian Open and there is no camera coverage to show it.

PD - did you get the thunder and lightning show last night - it was something here.

Have a good week - it's a good thing that you spend 5 months of the year in the warm climate of Arizona as this weather seems to be reflecting that.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Ut, I am watching the "Sun" go by, she is way out there tonight and am wondering about the the Murcury...I have a drink riding on my belief that she will sail the inside passage this year. Don't mind the heat, its the humidty that gets you. Watched the lightning until about 10:30 then went to bed. Evidently Roberts Creek and the golf club got rain but none here in beautiful West Sechelt. Shot my best game ever at our club this afternoon and my second best ever so now it is back to "God I love this game" well at least until tomorow at 8:27 am.:D

I'll try to fill in the gaps until you get back, have a great week and super trip up to the rockies....love the golf up there.:D

This may have been asked in the past but what all is there to do around the Canada Place Pier. I am taking a one day from Seattle to Vancouver ending at Canada Place then taking a 6 day leaving from the Ballantyne Pier. My thoughts are to to walk around Canada Place for a couple of hours before catching a cab for the big 1.5 mile trek to the other pier but I do not want to get there too early and just sit. I think I read somewhere else there is a company that will hold your bags at Canada place.

This may have been asked in the past but what all is there to do around the Canada Place Pier. I am taking a one day from Seattle to Vancouver ending at Canada Place then taking a 6 day leaving from the Ballantyne Pier. My thoughts are to to walk around Canada Place for a couple of hours before catching a cab for the big 1.5 mile trek to the other pier but I do not want to get there too early and just sit. I think I read somewhere else there is a company that will hold your bags at Canada place.

Canada Place is right in downtown Vancouver. You will be within walking distance of Gastown, Stanley Park and a myriad of shops and restaurants. There is also a hop-on/hop-off bus that goes to most of the sights people want to see. It leaves from in front of Canada Place -- you can't miss it.

Baggage can be stored with CDS in the arrivals hall of Canada Place.

I want to thank Putterdude, Urban Trekker (and others) for great information.

I'll second the suggestion of groups of more then 2 using the $39 limo service from the airport.

We used a taxi. There were only two of us. We each had one checked bag and one carryon roller bag plus a personal bag. One bag wound up going in the front seat with the driver. Two passenger groups got a cab quickly. There was a line of groups of 2+ waiting for available larger ("van") taxis.

Double check your credit card. Some credit cards (many Capital One cards) don't impose a fee for foreign currency. Charging most purchases, and accepting retail exchange rates made more sense then converting money. Even the 7-11 accepted $1 US as $1.10 Canadian. My local bank has a $10 service fee for converting less then $300. I decided I'd be better off even if US money was accepted at par.

Canada Place is right in downtown Vancouver. You will be within walking distance of Gastown, Stanley Park and a myriad of shops and restaurants. There is also a hop-on/hop-off bus that goes to most of the sights people want to see. It leaves from in front of Canada Place -- you can't miss it.

Baggage can be stored with CDS in the arrivals hall of Canada Place.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is CDS? And can you store them "there" if you will be using Ballantyne Pier?

CDS is a luggage storage company at both piers and at the airport, here is a link for your convenience. There services don't come cheap and you may be just as well to go to the Pan Pacific or Fairmont's Waterfront hotel and give the bellman a nice tip to store your bags.:)

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

CDS is a luggage storage company at both piers and at the airport, here is a link for your convenience. There services don't come cheap and you may be just as well to go to the Pan Pacific or Fairmont's Waterfront hotel and give the bellman a nice tip to store your bags.:)

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

Any idea what the charge is to have the luggage taken to the airport? I emailed but have not gotten a response.

Hello Vancouver! My family of 13 will be flying in on Wednesday August 12th. We will have all day Thursday to explore the city, if you had our day in your knowledgeable hands how would you spend the day as a tourist? We have 5 kids (sons/nephews) - 4, 6, 10, 14 & 17, 2 senoirs (60's) and 6 of us who are 36-40, the parents of the boys. We are hoping not to rent a car and are staying at the Westin Bayshore. Also, Please suggest a few restaurants with character or a view, thanks! Can't wait :)

Hello Vancouver! My family of 13 will be flying in on Wednesday August 12th. We will have all day Thursday to explore the city, if you had our day in your knowledgeable hands how would you spend the day as a tourist? We have 5 kids (sons/nephews) - 4, 6, 10, 14 & 17, 2 senoirs (60's) and 6 of us who are 36-40, the parents of the boys. We are hoping not to rent a car and are staying at the Westin Bayshore. Also, Please suggest a few restaurants with character or a view, thanks! Can't wait :)

Sounds like fun. I would recommend a trip to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. Both are easily accessible from downtown via the Vancouver transit system. As for a restaurant with a view, I don't think you could do worse for a view by packing a nice picnic dinner up grouse mountain and looking down on the city.... Take the seabus from next door to Canada Place, stock up on some groceries at Lonsdale Quay (on the north side of the Seabus), and then the Grouse Mountain bus runs from Lonsdale up to Grouse Mountain, right past Capilano Suspension Bridge

Vancouver_from_Grouse_mountain.jpg