Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hello Vancouver! My family of 13 will be flying in on Wednesday August 12th. We will have all day Thursday to explore the city, if you had our day in your knowledgeable hands how would you spend the day as a tourist? We have 5 kids (sons/nephews) - 4, 6, 10, 14 & 17, 2 senoirs (60's) and 6 of us who are 36-40, the parents of the boys. We are hoping not to rent a car and are staying at the Westin Bayshore. Also, Please suggest a few restaurants with character or a view, thanks! Can't wait :)

Since you are staying at the Westin Bayshore, you are a stone's throw away from Stanley Park, so you may consider that as a sightseeing option. There are many things to do in Stanley Park - go for a bike ride/rollerblade/walk along the seawall. Go to the Aquarium. Have lunch or afternoon tea at the Fish House (a little pricey) or at the Stanley's Park bar & grill (in a heritage building) by the rose garden (I just do not know if kids are allowed in there, though).

If you do not want to walk the whole seawall (it can take about 1.5 hrs), you can cut across through the lost lagoon area to Second Beach then walk east past English Bay, where you can take the Aquabus to Granville Island. You can have lunch there, where you will have quite a few choices for restaurants.

After lunch, you can head back to the city and either catch the bus or take the seabus to Grouse Mountain. Since you are looking for a place with a view for dinner, you can go to Altitudes bistro up at Grouse (there's a fine dining restaurant there too, but it may not be up the kids' alley).

Alternatively, for dinner, you can head back down to the city and go to Cardero's, which is next door to your hotel. It has a nice view facing the north shore mountains and the water; their prices are fairly reasonable as well (they are also open for lunch).

Also next to your hotel is The Lift, which is a little bit more expensive than Cardero's. It also offers great views.

Edited by orchid72

Just a note regarding my earlier comment on Grouse, just note that it may be too expensive for your group. Adult tix are $38; seniors $36; teens $23; child $14. Unless this is something you are just DYING to do, I would probably consider other places first considering you are only here for 1 full day.

I personally like going for the free stuff, so if I were planning *my* day, I would explore more of Stanley Park/English Bay, Granville Island, and Gastown. All these sights should fill your day no problem.

And if it is a hot day, there is an outdoor pool in Second Beach (@ Stanley Park) and water park at Stanley Park and in Coal Harbour (by The Mills) for the kids....

Edited by orchid72

In addition to the note about Grouse Mtn being a tad on the expensive side (nice photo by the way), if you make reservations at the Observatory Restaurant the cost of the tram is included. The food at the Observatory is very good. The restaurant is small and reservations are required. Otherwise there is the Pub and the Cafeteria.

Any idea what the charge is to have the luggage taken to the airport? I emailed but have not gotten a response.

Sorry, I don't ....I have read of it but it is out of my mind presently....I am sure that you will hear from them.

We are arriving at YVR on August 30th; and are staying at the Waterfront in prep for our AK cruise leaving the 2nd of Sept (Volendam). We are a family of four adults with quite a bit of luggage. We would really love to use the new Canada Line; but how difficult will this be, and what if any are the drawbacks to using this mode of transportation to the hotel instead of a limo from the airport. We are arriving around 5:30 P.M.

Edited by northernphoenix

We are arriving at YVR on August 30th; and are staying at the Waterfront in prep for our AK cruise leaving the 2nd of Sept (Volendam). We are a family of four adults with quite a bit of luggage. We would really love to use the new Canada Line; but how difficult will this be, and what if any are the drawbacks to using this mode of transportation to the hotel instead of a limo from the airport. We are arriving around 5:30 P.M.

Now assuming it's open. Officially they've said "Before Labour Day", unofficially the word is Aug 22....

Drawbacks;

You'll have to walk nearly 100 feet further, cross a street and take an elevator to the top of the car park (which is where the station is) at YVR.

You'll have to bring your luggage up and escalator and then cross the street at the Fairmont.

Advantages;

It will be cheaper than taxi/limo ($3.75/ea)

It will be faster than taxi/limo (25 mins, vs probably 35 against rush hour in a taxi/limo)

Fortunately you won't have to contend with rush hour traffic seeing the 30th is a Sunday. If the Canada Line is running, it will cost you $3.75 + $2.50 pp as you would be coming from the airport. So, it would cost you $25.00 for all four.

As Putterdude mentions above, the cost of a limo is $39. It's amazing how much luggage will fit into one. For the $4 difference between a taxi and a limo, I would go with the limo.

Fortunately you won't have to contend with rush hour traffic seeing the 30th is a Sunday. If the Canada Line is running, it will cost you $3.75 + $2.50 pp as you would be coming from the airport. So, it would cost you $25.00 for all four.

As Putterdude mentions above, the cost of a limo is $39. It's amazing how much luggage will fit into one. For the $4 difference between a taxi and a limo, I would go with the limo.

Is there an additional charge for the airport to Canada Place run? Say, for the extra long distance (different zones)? You mention the $3.75 + $2.50. Anyone know what the actual cost is? We will be using it on a Friday to go downtown, and a Saturday to go back to the airport.

Sandi

Is there an additional charge for the airport to Canada Place run? Say, for the extra long distance (different zones)? You mention the $3.75 + $2.50. Anyone know what the actual cost is? We will be using it on a Friday to go downtown, and a Saturday to go back to the airport.

Sandi

The cost normally would be the $3.75+$2.50, however it seems that during the first few weeks of operation the $2.50 surcharge (which goes to the airport) is going to be waived.

I'm liking the sound of this :D Still hoping. You're going to do a BIG post right Scott' date=' when things are up and running??? Not counting on it, but hoping.[/quote']

Massive, with a ton a pictures, but until then, we wait.

Hi, without reading the whole 97 pages for this thread, maybe someone can answer a few questions. We will be arriving in Vancouver via Coral Princess on 9/21 and staying at Sutton Place. We would like to take a tour of Grouse mt and Capilano suspension bridge. Can you recommend a tour provider. second is Sutton place near Stanley park? And last (but not least) We are flying out 9/22 and is the new train going to be open and is it near to where we are staying?

Thanks Linda

Hi, without reading the whole 97 pages for this thread, maybe someone can answer a few questions. We will be arriving in Vancouver via Coral Princess on 9/21 and staying at Sutton Place. We would like to take a tour of Grouse mt and Capilano suspension bridge. Can you recommend a tour provider.
Can't really recommend a tour (maybe other posters can), but I can say that it is easy to get to these two places either by car or by public transportation.

second is Sutton place near Stanley park?
Stanley park is about 2 kms away from Sutton Place - about a 15-20 minute walk to the edge of the park. I find it close; some people might not.

And last (but not least) We are flying out 9/22 and is the new train going to be open and is it near to where we are staying? Thanks Linda
Yes, it will be open by then, and the closest station is Vancouver City Centre: http://www.canadaline.ca/constructionAdvisories.asp?stationID=2

We just returned from Alaska via the Serenade of the Seas. We arrived the day before ( the 24th) from Toronto and took HighEnd Limo to the Hyatt. We used their check-in Kiosk which was very convenient. All went smoothly. The weather was fantastic so we took the Sky Train to the Science World stop and then the False Creek Ferry to Granville island. This provided a " cruise" along False Creek and the sights. We toured Granville Island and were entertained by a street magician with his " helper" a young lady from New Hampshire. We ( all spectators that were there ) also had some candid entertainment :rolleyes: by a young woman "lounging" in her bikini on her boat at the pier. Seems she had a Janet Jackson type wardrobe malfunction:eek: when she changed positions. No my camera was not available at the time;) really....We then continued on the False Creek Ferry to the Marine Museum and enjoyed our time there. We retraced our route back to the hotel. On the ferry was a young woman from the Val Cartier base near Quebec City who was stranded by the VIA Rail strike but was apparently being accomodated on Air Canada to get back. Our Dinner was at a Teppanyaki Restaurant called Kobi on Alberni st. I recommend this to anyone who likes this style of dinner. The chef was great and his FIRE show spectacular. The weather for the sail away was again beautiful and the sunset that evening was spectatular. Unfortunately we could not hang around to witness the fireworks. The ship was a full speed to get to Icy Strait Point by Monday morning. We were a little late due to a medical evacuation at Port Harding.

Our return was again uneventful. The ship arrived a little before 7 and We disembarked using the express departure and took our own luggage. We were in the first wave of departures of about 200 people. The cab was right there and we were in YVR by about 08:30. The airport was very busy with cruise passengers but our check-in at the kiosk went very smooth. Ours was a domestic flight so customs was not an issue for us.

We could not have asked for more from Vancouver. A special thanks to the locals that continue to advise all the visitors. And to PD thanks for what apparently was a successful weather dance although I'm not sure you wanted the heat that came along.

Thanks again.

Stanley park is about 2 kms away from Sutton Place - about a 15-20 minute walk to the edge of the park. I find it close; some people might not.

If you don't feel like walking, transit does run a bus to the park.

Sorry for the off topic post, but.... Waaay back buried in this thread, someone posted a link to the City's "Community pages" including info from the Planning Department. I clicked through and have been exploring and I am totally, utterly impressed with the level of detailed information on redevelopment activities in the City. I'm on Philadelphia's Zoning Code Commission and we've been examining all kinds of issues related to planning and development here. Your City presents an outstanding model of transparency and citizen accessibility. If I had more than a day there, I'd try and visit your Planning Department... think they'd be up for a tourist? :)

Congratulations! (and thanks to the original link poster!)

Ann

As a retired developer I have never had a great rapport with planners or planning departments....however I am sure that the planning department of the City of Vancouver would be delighted to spend some time with you if you had the time. However I would contact them and set up a time.

What feedback have you heard about the Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson Street? Gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.

The Blue Horizon is very popular among cruisers and we hear and read nothing but glowing reports about it. The location is excellent on Robson St. amongst its shops and restaurants as well as most all of the downtown sights and attractions. The rooms are large, clean, modern and some have nice views. A good choice.:)

Where do you think is the best place to buy some bouquets of flowers to take aboard ship? Are the ones on Granville Island Market overpriced for the tourists?

Many of the ships do have florists aboard which may be a consideration for you. There are certainly flowers available in the Granville Is. market and they would likely less expensive than a traditional florist. As for a traditional florist there is one in Royal Centre at Burrard and Georgia, about 5 blocks from Canada Place; here is a link for your convenience.

http://www.choiceflowers.ca/index.php