Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

If your arriving that late .Why not just use the Fairmont Hotel that is part of the airport . About the same cost as the Fairmont or Pan pacific near the cruise port . In the morning you can then take the Canada Line , taxi or shuttle bus to downtown Vancouver.:cool:

There is group of us going from LA to Vancouver repositionion cruise on Sapphire in May 2012.

Some of the group will be taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to LA for the return instead of flying. I know we will have to take the Amtrak bus from Vancouver to Seattle. The bus leaves at 5:30 am so we will need transportation from the various hotels we will be booking.

What might be the best way to get to the Amtrak bus at 4:30-5:00 am.

Thanks,

Norine

There is group of us going from LA to Vancouver repositionion cruise on Sapphire in May 2012.

Some of the group will be taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to LA for the return instead of flying. I know we will have to take the Amtrak bus from Vancouver to Seattle. The bus leaves at 5:30 am so we will need transportation from the various hotels we will be booking.

What might be the best way to get to the Amtrak bus at 4:30-5:00 am.

Thanks,

Norine

I think you'll need to take taxis because, according to their schedule, the Skytrain lines (Millenium or Expo) you need to take to Main St-Science World don't start until around 5:30 a.m. and you'd need to get there earlier than that to make the bus.

Taxis from almost any downtown hotel to the train station will run around $10 +/-.

Edited by ell52

There is a food court just below the Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Pan Pacific) with the usual suspects: Starbucks, Subway, McDonalds, Tim Hortons and more --> link to tenants

There is also a White Spot on Georgia & Cardero. It's a local chain - a nice family-style, sit-down restaurant --> White Spot

Ell, thank you so much for the information.

Hi,

Can a taxi from the airport hold 4 adults and a wheelchair? We are planning on sending the older part of our group to the hotel in a taxi and the rest of us are going to take the train. Also are there minivan taxis ( in case more people want to takke a taxi)? How many people can they hold and how much would it be to go to the Pan Pacific? Thanks in adavnce foor all the information.

Hi,

Can a taxi from the airport hold 4 adults and a wheelchair? We are planning on sending the older part of our group to the hotel in a taxi and the rest of us are going to take the train. Also are there minivan taxis ( in case more people want to takke a taxi)? How many people can they hold and how much would it be to go to the Pan Pacific? Thanks in adavnce foor all the information.

Yes there are minivan taxis, but you'll have to call and pre-arrange for one. The normal taxicab in Vancouver is a Toyota Prius, 3 passengers and a couple of bags tops.

Hi,

No, a city taxi can handle a maximum of 4 regular sized adults with a maximum of a bag each but a wheelchair won't fit. My DW has MS and travels with either a wheelchair or a walker so I have a raised interest in taxis; about 17%+ of Vancouver's taxi fleet are mini-vans. There is no need to reserve a mini-van cab but you may have to wait a few extra minutes for one. A mini-van cab will take five passengers and is the same cost as a regular cab, about $35 +/-.

Yes there are minivan taxis, but you'll have to call and pre-arrange for one. The normal taxicab in Vancouver is a Toyota Prius, 3 passengers and a couple of bags tops.

Thank you for the information!

No, a city taxi can handle a maximum of 4 regular sized adults with a maximum of a bag each but a wheelchair won't fit. My DW has MS and travels with either a wheelchair or a walker so I have a raised interest in taxis; about 17%+ of Vancouver's taxi fleet are mini-vans. There is no need to reserve a mini-van cab but you may have to wait a few extra minutes for one. A mini-van cab will take five passengers and is the same cost as a regular cab, about $35 +/-.

Thanks Putterdude for the information!

We are coming in from a cruise to Vancouver on Saturday morning-going to take a tour. Need a nice hotel. One person in the group wants good Chinese food and we need to be at the Amtrak station before 0530.

We need a hotel to meet these needs.

Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks

Laura

I am in Laura's and Quilting Queen's (Norine) group and am interested in finding a tour of Vancouver that will take us to the highlights (I want to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge, also) and return us to our downtown hotel. I have been considering this tour, a Vancouver Combination Tour to offer to the group. I have e-mailed for more information, but have not heard back yet. Do you know anything about this tour?

We are coming in from a cruise to Vancouver on Saturday morning-going to take a tour. Need a nice hotel. One person in the group wants good Chinese food and we need to be at the Amtrak station before 0530.

We need a hotel to meet these needs.

Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks

Laura

It depends on your definition of 'nice' hotel. Almost any downtown hotel will meet your needs in terms of accessing the train station. Downtown Vancouver is very compact and, particularly at that time of the morning, will only take 10 minutes +/- to get from any hotel to the station (btw, it's called Pacific Central Station -- in case you ask a local, they may or may not know what you mean when you say Amtrak station).

You DO NOT want to stay near the train station or Chinatown.

Take a look at TripAdvisor hotels for downtown Vancouver to get an idea of what's available and recommended. Once you narrow down your choices, we'll be happy to give you our opinions. :)

Edited by ell52

Have any questions? Well so many of you have helped me when I visit your cities, so hopefully I can help you.

I know the city well and work as a transit driver. And if anyone else from Vancouver knows an answer feel free to help too.

How far is the walk from the Pan Pacific Hotel to the Floatplane Harbor?

I am in Laura's and Quilting Queen's (Norine) group and am interested in finding a tour of Vancouver that will take us to the highlights (I want to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge, also) and return us to our downtown hotel. I have been considering this tour, a Vancouver Combination Tour to offer to the group. I have e-mailed for more information, but have not heard back yet. Do you know anything about this tour?

This is very hard to comment on as these folks are brokers of tours and of course are pretty guarded as to who their vendor is. The price, given the price of tours is in the ball park. Here are a couple of other companies you may care to consider, they are ones that I can recommend.

http://www.vancouversightseeing.com/vancouver-capilano-suspension-bridge/

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

This is very hard to comment on as these folks are brokers of tours and of course are pretty guarded as to who their vendor is. The price, given the price of tours is in the ball park. Here are a couple of other companies you may care to consider, they are ones that I can recommend.

http://www.vancouversightseeing.com/vancouver-capilano-suspension-bridge/

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Thank you. The first link you gave me is pretty much what I was thinking, tour wise and the price is about the same. They are also well recommended on Trip Advisor. I am nervous about booking a tour when I don't know, or cannot research the tour company.

one or two blocks depending on which floatplane terminal. Which airline Are you on?

We're arriving on the ZAANDAM and were told we could take a Plane to Victoria every 30 min.or so . Was wondering as to how far a walk it was from the PAN Pacific hotel where we will be staying overnight.

We will be in Vancouver for 2 nights early September before crusing to Hawaii. We are repeating the same cruise 2 years in a row.

DH and I took a bus to the Granville Market last year for lunch on day 2. There were different water taxi's there. We took one across on a 5 minute ride a short distance to the other side. We then walked back to our hotel, the Sutton Place. Where are the other water taxi's going to? Are they including in an all day bus pass? We were thinking of getting the all day pass from the airport, drop off our luggage and take the bus to the market for lunch. We thought it might be nice to take a longer ride on a water taxi and return to the market before going back to our hotel. Are there any sites worth seeing from the water taxi's?

Info Much appreciated.

Mary

We will be in Vancouver for 2 nights early September before crusing to Hawaii. We are repeating the same cruise 2 years in a row.

DH and I took a bus to the Granville Market last year for lunch on day 2. There were different water taxi's there. We took one across on a 5 minute ride a short distance to the other side. We then walked back to our hotel, the Sutton Place. Where are the other water taxi's going to? Are they including in an all day bus pass? We were thinking of getting the all day pass from the airport, drop off our luggage and take the bus to the market for lunch. We thought it might be nice to take a longer ride on a water taxi and return to the market before going back to our hotel. Are there any sites worth seeing from the water taxi's?

Info Much appreciated.

Mary

The False Creek Ferries and the transit system are entirely different entities so no, your transit pass will not be honoured on the FCFs. Here is a link to the FCFs....left to me I would choose the Maritime Museum and the Science Centre as places that I would want to visit.

http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/fares_schedule.htm

We're arriving on the ZAANDAM and were told we could take a Plane to Victoria every 30 min.or so . Was wondering as to how far a walk it was from the PAN Pacific hotel where we will be staying overnight.

As pointed out above, you are just a couple of blocks from the terminals. Here are links to the float plane services:

http://www.harbour-air.com/

http://www.westcoastair.com/

Just thought I would pass along that Grouse Mountain is now running a shuttle from downtown - Canada Place is one of the stops - its free provided you buy a lift ticket - in checking the Grouse Website which they just updated and I havent found all the links it doesnt show return times but they are probably there some where.

http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

I love visiting gardens when traveling and had read a previous post that the Queen Elizabeth Park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Can you tell me if I can take public transportation from the Sutton Place to visit it?

Thanks,

Mary

Yes, you can. Harbour Air is the largest (in the world!) of the floatplane operators now that they have bought WestCoast Air. I asked which airline (and/or desitination) because there are two float plane terminals. the new fancy (expensive) one attached to the new convention centre, and the older one that Harbour Air use

This map shows the location for the Harbour Air terminal, a couple of blocks west of Canada Place/Pan Pacific: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.289138,-123.113136&spn=0.010301,0.027874

I love visiting gardens when traveling and had read a previous post that the Queen Elizabeth Park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Can you tell me if I can take public transportation from the Sutton Place to visit it?

Thanks,

Mary

You can walk from the Sutton Place to the Canada Line station at Granville and W. Georgia, then take the skytrain to the King Edward stop on Cambie. From there, it is only a few short blocks away.