Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

According to transit there is a shop called "City Stop" at 187 Terminal Ave, which is just across Main street from the Pacific Central Station, which sell the tickets. Maybe someone could confirm this.

Thanks! I will see if I can find more info on this. We arrive in Vancouver just before noon so I think we may try the public transit since it seems to be just a short walk.

Never mind - I see that 10 2 zone tickets are the $31.50. One more question - both the 7-11 and pharmasave are in the domestic terminal, but I assume we'll be arriving in either the international or u.s. terminal - will I be able to get there to the other terminal to buy the tickets while the rest of them wait for luggage?

Domestic/International/Transborder; it's all just 3 sections on one large building (in that order). The 7-11 in the airport is near the domestic luggage carosels IIRC.

Thanks! I will see if I can find more info on this. We arrive in Vancouver just before noon so I think we may try the public transit since it seems to be just a short walk.

Yep, right across the street from Pacific Station, between Starbucks and Van City Savings. Also right next to City Stop is the elevators up to platform level

Google street view of City Stop:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.273023,-123.101276&spn=0.002832,0.008256&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.273005,-123.101096&panoid=3tmSUwfkzzlHb6ZLCh9ehA&cbp=12,18.38,,1,1.78

In fact the "we sell transit tickets" sign is just to the right of the words "City Stop", it's a white sign with blue on top and 3 blue circles. Easy to spot for us daily Skytrain riders..(speaking of which I haven't bought my May pass yet -- oops)

Edited by scottbee

Putterdude,

I am hoping you can help me. We bought the 2-day hop-on, hop-off trolley ticket. If we want to use it for a short time the second day, before we board the ship, would it be feasible to do the following? We are staying near the Art Museum. Could we take the trolley all the way down Howe, and get off at Pacific and walk the rest of the way to Granville Island? Or do we have to stay on for the full loop through Stanely Park, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would take the blue line to Granville Is., then use your included ferry ticket to come back to Pacific Ave. You will then have about a 6/7 block walk back to your hotel. Hope this answers your question.

Yep, right across the street from Pacific Station, between Starbucks and Van City Savings. Also right next to City Stop is the elevators up to platform level

Google street view of City Stop:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.273023,-123.101276&spn=0.002832,0.008256&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.273005,-123.101096&panoid=3tmSUwfkzzlHb6ZLCh9ehA&cbp=12,18.38,,1,1.78

In fact the "we sell transit tickets" sign is just to the right of the words "City Stop", it's a white sign with blue on top and 3 blue circles. Easy to spot for us daily Skytrain riders..(speaking of which I haven't bought my May pass yet -- oops)

Thanks for the info!!!! Much appreciated...

Thanks for all the help! My mom is a little freaked out over taking the train, with her luggage, at that time of the night, so we're probably just going to take a cab. But, I do appreciate the information, and it helped us to make an informed decision. We'll take the Skytrain back to the airport after we disembark - that'll be during the day, so it should be fine.

Thanks for all the help! My mom is a little freaked out over taking the train, with her luggage, at that time of the night, so we're probably just going to take a cab. But, I do appreciate the information, and it helped us to make an informed decision. We'll take the Skytrain back to the airport after we disembark - that'll be during the day, so it should be fine.

You are more than welcome, I can understand the reaction, as good as the Canada Line is, it is not a "one size fits all concept". Should mom decide that she would like to take it back to YVR the cost then is only $3.75 and $2.50 for mom. If you happen to be doing it on a weekend it is is only $2.50 pp.

Hi to all you helpful Vancouver folks!

We were offered tickets today to the Vancouver Aquarium. The only time we will have is Friday afternoon, for about 5 hours. We will likely be a bit tired from the flights but could sleep on the planes. We are staying at the Rosedale on Robson, so it seems pretty close to us.

My question is. Will 4 or 5 hours be long enough to enjoy the aquarium? And what shouldn't we miss while we are there?

Thanks for all your help!

Darr

Thanks, Vancouverites - have read and copied so many good suggestions.

We are at the Delta Suites on Hastings and hope to be able to walk to decent (not too pricey) restaurants and great things to see. the 3 of us are in our 60's, 70's and 80's. we like art museums, history, gardens..can't wait to tour your lovely city!

Four to five hours will give you a pretty full time at the Aquarium. Things that you will want to take in are the beluga whales, the dolphins and the sea otters but there is are amazing display of marine live. I would suggest that you review their website.

http://www.visitvanaqua.org/

Thanks Putterdude! I had a look at the website, and "toured" the area on google earth, it looks pretty amazing. It also seems like we will be there at the right times for some of the shows. I am looking forward to it!

Once I have been there, I will be able to say I seen whales on my trip to Alaska! LOL

Thanks again

Darr

DH can't go far without tiring out. Our hotel is only a few blocks away (Hotel Le Soleil) from the Waterfront Station but thats way to far for him to walk. We were just wondering if we decided to take the Skytrain if it would be easy and close to find a cab.

DH can't go far without tiring out. Our hotel is only a few blocks away (Hotel Le Soleil) from the Waterfront Station but thats way to far for him to walk. We were just wondering if we decided to take the Skytrain if it would be easy and close to find a cab.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a cab at Waterfront Station at the curb on Cordova St. The Vancouver Centre Station is slightly closer to the Le Soleil but it would be harder to get a cab there.

Just a note, it's a 2 block walk (underground) to exit the Canada Line Waterfront platform to the front of Waterfront station. To minimize walking take the "Granville street" elevator off the platform which puts you on directly on the street at Granville & W.Hastings. From here you could hail a taxi, or walk the 3 blocks to your hotel.

Just a note, it's a 2 block walk (underground) to exit the Canada Line Waterfront platform to the front of Waterfront station. To minimize walking take the "Granville street" elevator off the platform which puts you on directly on the street at Granville & W.Hastings. From here you could hail a taxi, or walk the 3 blocks to your hotel.

Thanks Scottbee, great tip for minimizing the walk to street level!

Do you think we would have a hard time finding a cab on a tuesday morning at about 11am at this location?

He may be able to walk to the hotel, depending on how he feels that day, weather, etc., or we might just take a cab from the airport and be done with it, but he wants to try the Skytrain, just for the fun experience of doing it.

We are arrivng in your beautiful town on Amtrak and are going to pick up bus passes at City Stop across the street(thanks for the heads-up there). We need to head to our hotel, the Westin Grand, from there, are cabs available at this location? Just want to drop off our luggage then need a place for lunch and start hitting the sites. If the weather is good I thought we'd head over to Capilano and Grouse Mountain for the afternoon/evening then head back into town for dinner & drinks. We have all day Wednesday to do the Hop On/Hop Off, should we use the Trolley or the Big Bus? Wednesday, I was hoping to visit Granville and pick up some fresh flowers for our cabin before heading to the pier. Does this sound feasible? I've seen so much about Vancouver I'm already planning a trip back just to visit the city and maybe Whistler, too. Thanks in advance.

We are arrivng in your beautiful town on Amtrak and are going to pick up bus passes at City Stop across the street(thanks for the heads-up there). We need to head to our hotel, the Westin Grand, from there, are cabs available at this location? Just want to drop off our luggage then need a place for lunch and start hitting the sites. If the weather is good I thought we'd head over to Capilano and Grouse Mountain for the afternoon/evening then head back into town for dinner & drinks. We have all day Wednesday to do the Hop On/Hop Off, should we use the Trolley or the Big Bus? Wednesday, I was hoping to visit Granville and pick up some fresh flowers for our cabin before heading to the pier. Does this sound feasible? I've seen so much about Vancouver I'm already planning a trip back just to visit the city and maybe Whistler, too. Thanks in advance.

You could grab a taxi, but once you have a bus pass you could also just head upstairs and grab skytrain to Granville Station. take any exit except the front one and follow the exits to seymour street, it's then 2 blocks south , 2 east to get to your hotel.

My daughter left Nashville a few minutes ago and will arrive in Vancouver this afternoon. She forgot her Transderm Scop patches for motion sickness. Is there any place Vancouver where she could see a doctor and get a prescription this afternoon or tomorrow before she catches her cruise ship?

Don`t know about the prescription part of your question but yes there are a couple of walk in clinics in the downtown core that are open seven days of the week - but they could be busy - there are also several large drug stores close to the pier - if you could give us an idea of where she will be staying then I or some of the other locals can give you further directions.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I am with Ut, I am not sure if a prescription is necessary or not in Canada, from what I can see, it likely is. However there is a drug store, called Pharmasave, and a walk-in clinic right at the Vancouver airport.