Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you so much....made our reservation. One more question...luggage: Can we schlep it with us after we park or should we drop it off prior to parking??

Either way, it makes not difference. You can drop it off at the curb and the porters will take it from you....or you can park your car and use one of the free luggage carts you will find in the parkade to take it to the porters.

Putterdude - I hope your patience does not run out with what seems to be endless questions. Your information and advice has been excellent.

Do I have this right? A family of 5 of us arrive at YVR after 6:30 PM on a Wednesday. We want to take the SkyTrain to the Granville stop. It seems to me we should buy a Fare Saver Book of 10 tickets at a cost of $21.00. Each of us can use one of the 10 tickets for the ride. The $5 YVR upcharge does not apply to Fare Saver tickets.

Alternatively, we could purchase single fare tickets for $2.75 (after 6:30 price) plus the $5 YVR upcharge for a total cost of $38.75 for the 5 of us.

Will the former, Fare Saver approach work for us in this way? Or have I missed something as to how Fare Saver tickets may be used?

Thanks so much for your information.

Do I have this right? A family of 5 of us arrive at YVR after 6:30 PM on a Wednesday. We want to take the SkyTrain to the Granville stop. It seems to me we should buy a Fare Saver Book of 10 tickets at a cost of $21.00. Each of us can use one of the 10 tickets for the ride. The $5 YVR upcharge does not apply to Fare Saver tickets.

You have got it right. Go with this plan....it will work well for you.

Edited by Putterdude

Alternatively, we could purchase single fare tickets for $2.75 (after 6:30 price) plus the $5 YVR upcharge for a total cost of $38.75 for the 5 of us.

Will the former, Fare Saver approach work for us in this way? Or have I missed something as to how Fare Saver tickets may be used?

Thanks so much for your information.

Buy the 10 pack of one-zone faresavers (C$21, but they will take US$) at the airport 7-11 or Pharmasave. The 7-11 is located one level below DOMESTIC luggage claim and simple to get to. Exit the international arrivals onto the street, turn right, walk about 50 yards, then re-enter the airport again on your right. The pack is a a book of ten tear out tickets, just tear one out for each member of your party, and remember to validate them in the silver box by the ticket machines before getting on the platform and on the train.

Hold onto that ticket as Translink/Skytrain is still a proof of purchase system. There are new faregates going in, but aren't in use yet. I'm sure that a visitor to Vancouver/infrequent rider of Skytrain probably hasn't experienced all the faregate construction (and confusion because it's not in use yet).

Also, Granville isn't a stop on the [Canada] line from the airport, the closest would be "Vancouver - City Centre". Granville is a station on the older Expo and Millennium lines. Where are you trying to get to ? You'll likely need to get off a "Vancouver - City Centre", or "Waterfront", and for the latter, there are two exits from the station, and picking the wrong one might add a couple of blocks to your walk.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, there are a few locals on this board that ride Skytrain daily

Buy the 10 pack of one-zone faresavers (C$21, but they will take US$) at the airport 7-11 or Pharmasave. The 7-11 is located one level below DOMESTIC luggage claim and simple to get to. Exit the international arrivals onto the street, turn right, walk about 50 yards, then re-enter the airport again on your right. The pack is a a book of ten tear out tickets, just tear one out for each member of your party, and remember to validate them in the silver box by the ticket machines before getting on the platform and on the train.

Hold onto that ticket as Translink/Skytrain is still a proof of purchase system. There are new faregates going in, but aren't in use yet. I'm sure that a visitor to Vancouver/infrequent rider of Skytrain probably hasn't experienced all the faregate construction (and confusion because it's not in use yet).

Also, Granville isn't a stop on the [Canada] line from the airport, the closest would be "Vancouver - City Centre". Granville is a station on the older Expo and Millennium lines. Where are you trying to get to ? You'll likely need to get off a "Vancouver - City Centre", or "Waterfront", and for the latter, there are two exits from the station, and picking the wrong one might add a couple of blocks to your walk.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, there are a few locals on this board that ride Skytrain daily

Thanks for your information and comments. What I thought we could do may not be possible given your comments. We are going to the Pan Pacific hotel at the Canada Center. I thought there was a stop at Granville coming from the airport or Granville St @ Hastings St stop where we can exit to the street. From there it is about a 3 block walk to the hotel. I was also told not to take the tunnel but rather before the tunnel look for an elevator to the street, again as Granville and Hastings.

Does this sound right? Thanks again for catching this especially if I am wrong about the stop. I understand that we could go to the end of the line at Waterfront Station - but that is a little longer walk to the hotel.

Another finding --

I just looked at a SkyTrain route map and it does appear that the actual exit I want is Vancouver City Centre. And you're right, the Granville stop is NOT on the Canada line. Now if I knew what the streets were above the City Centre stop I can navigate to the Pan Pacific from there.

Thanks for your information and comments. What I thought we could do may not be possible given your comments. We are going to the Pan Pacific hotel at the Canada Center. I thought there was a stop at Granville coming from the airport or Granville St @ Hastings St stop where we can exit to the street. From there it is about a 3 block walk to the hotel. I was also told not to take the tunnel but rather before the tunnel look for an elevator to the street, again as Granville and Hastings.

Does this sound right? Thanks again for catching this especially if I am wrong about the stop. I understand that we could go to the end of the line at Waterfront Station - but that is a little longer walk to the hotel.

As I mentioned in our roll call thread, get off at the Waterfront Station stop (terminus/last stop). If you were to get off at the Vancouver City Center stop, you will have a much longer walk, albeit downhill, to the Pan Pacific. You're right not to take the tunnel, use either the elevator or escalator to take you to street level.

Will be in Vancouver this weekend, May 25/26, cruising on the Island Princess on May 27.

Staying at the Holiday Inn on Howe Street and looking for any recommendations for a nice seafood restaurant. Have seen various comments on past posts, but wondering if any places are fairly close to the Hotel.

Have a two day HOHO pass and looking forward to exploring the city. The forecast is for sunny skies, so far, should make the sightseeing more enjoyable.

Mike

Will be in Vancouver this weekend, May 25/26, cruising on the Island Princess on May 27.

Staying at the Holiday Inn on Howe Street and looking for any recommendations for a nice seafood restaurant. Have seen various comments on past posts, but wondering if any places are fairly close to the Hotel.

Have a two day HOHO pass and looking forward to exploring the city. The forecast is for sunny skies, so far, should make the sightseeing more enjoyable.

Mike

The closest seafood restaurant to the Holiday Inn would be Joe Fortes which is excellent and would be about 7 blocks or a 10 minute walk.

Actually the new Fish Shack on Granville - part of the Glowbal food group - is closer - only about a two block walk from the hotel.

Here's a link:

http://www.glowbalgroup.com/fish-shack/

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

You're close... You want to get off at the last station, "WATERFRONT". At that station, use the exit labeled "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE STREET" right on the platform, don't go down the long tunnel into Waterfront Station itself. This will put you at the corner of Granville and W. Hastings. From there, it's a 3 block walk slightly downhill to the Pan Pacific/Canada Place. Exit the station, turn left onto W.Hastings walk one block, the turn right onto Howe and it's two blocks straight ahead.

Mike

As UT says, Fish Shack is the closest seafood-focused resto to you. Search the threads, there's been a flurry of info about it in the last couple of weeks. If you'd prefer to spend big bucks and have truly stellar seafood, then Blue Water is a straight shot down Helmcken Street for you (about 550 yards), or if it's more the Sushi end of the spectrum you prefer Shuraku on Granville (c. 600 yards from your hotel) is the only Granville place I'd consider for sushi.

As I mentioned in our roll call thread, get off at the Waterfront Station stop (terminus/last stop). If you were to get off at the Vancouver City Center stop, you will have a much longer walk, albeit downhill, to the Pan Pacific. You're right not to take the tunnel, use either the elevator or escalator to take you to street level.

Whew! I finally have this understood. It is good that I now understand that we go to the end of the line as I did not have that clear in my mind. Thanks again Tweedy and the others who have been so generous with your knowledge.

The closest seafood restaurant to the Holiday Inn would be Joe Fortes which is excellent and would be about 7 blocks or a 10 minute walk.

Thanks Putterdude and others for the seafood restaurant recommendations. Have two nights to try them and looking forward to it. Do not get a chance to get much fresh ocean seafood in Wisconsin.

Mike

Hello,

We originally had 4 family members booked for a cruise & thought the Sky train from the Airport to the port was a good idea. Now we are a family of 8 ++ luggage etc...:eek:

Should I consider a taxi van or ?? to transport everyone? Vancouver airport to HAL Zuiderdam. (with a liquor store stop.... in Ontario we have LCBO)

Thank you.

Edited by aloisia

Hello,

We originally had 4 family members booked for a cruise & thought the Sky train from the Airport to the port was a good idea. Now we are a family of 8 ++ luggage etc...:eek:

Should I consider a taxi van or ?? to transport everyone? Vancouver airport to HAL Zuiderdam. (with a liquor store stop.... in Ontario we have LCBO)

Thank you.

Number of people should not effect your decision mobility and quantity of luggage may. If anyone in your family group suffers from mobility difficulties and can not walk the 3 blocks from Waterfront station to Canada Place or you collectively you can't handle your luggage then perhaps you may want to consider a cab. While our cabs are Prius in size they can handle 4 average sized adults and their luggage or if you have a lot of luggage then you only have to wait for a couple of extra minutes for a mini-van cab. You are going to need 2 cabs which are going to cost you $35 each. There is the option of an 8 passenger limo but the rate is $92 and that does not include tax or gratuity.

There is a BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre which is located at Seymour & Cordova Sts. about 3 blocks from Canada Place and pretty much kitty corner from Waterfront station.

Edited by Putterdude

Does anyone have up to date information on this business?

We are from the UK and inevitably at the end of our Alaska cruise our return flight is not until the evening. I have read that in the past Priority Baggage have provided a storage service and also transferred baggage to YVR. We would like to use this service but the web-site does not seem to be up to date and I have had no reply to two e-mails I have sent.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks.

Does anyone have up to date information on this business?

We are from the UK and inevitably at the end of our Alaska cruise our return flight is not until the evening. I have read that in the past Priority Baggage have provided a storage service and also transferred baggage to YVR. We would like to use this service but the web-site does not seem to be up to date and I have had no reply to two e-mails I have sent.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks.

Yes, I know their website is very frustrating.:mad:

However, I did phone them in the past few weeks and they did confirm that they were still operating and doing the transfer to YVR. However, you should be aware that the service will not support a flight before 6 pm.

Thanks Puttertude.

That is good news. Our flight is at 20:00 so should be OK. Looks like I will have to phone them a bit nearer the time. I will have to work out the time difference!!

Thanks again.

Number of people should not effect your decision mobility and quantity of luggage may. If anyone in your family group suffers from mobility difficulties and can not walk the 3 blocks from Waterfront station to Canada Place or you collectively you can't handle your luggage then perhaps you may want to consider a cab. While our cabs are Prius in size they can handle 4 average sized adults and their luggage or if you have a lot of luggage then you only have to wait for a couple of extra minutes for a mini-van cab. You are going to need 2 cabs which are going to cost you $35 each. There is the option of an 8 passenger limo but the rate is $92 and that does not include tax or gratuity.

There is a BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre which is located at Seymour & Cordova Sts. about 3 blocks from Canada Place and pretty much kitty corner from Waterfront station.

Thank you Putterdude, This is last minute planning for me. Usually I am organized for a cruise months ahead..:eek: Hubby has a window between medical treatments & really wants this family trip to Alaska. Any ideas for a hotel? I had a look at the Blue Horizon Hotel? Seems nice. Would love rooms that include a sofa bed ..... then we would only need 3. Thanks!!

Thank you Putterdude, This is last minute planning for me. Usually I am organized for a cruise months ahead..:eek: Hubby has a window between medical treatments & really wants this family trip to Alaska. Any ideas for a hotel? I had a look at the Blue Horizon Hotel? Seems nice. Would love rooms that include a sofa bed ..... then we would only need 3. Thanks!!

The Blue Horizon is a good choice, a great location on Robson St. amid lots of shops and restaurants and a new BC Liquor Store around the corner on Bute. You should be aware that it is a 6.5 block walk from the Vancouver Centre Canada Line station though.

Another good choice for families and groups is the Rosedale on Robson which is all suites and about 5 blocks from the Vancouver Centre station. I think you would prefer the Blue Horizon location though.

The Blue Horizon is a good choice, a great location on Robson St. amid lots of shops and restaurants and a new BC Liquor Store around the corner on Bute. You should be aware that it is a 6.5 block walk from the Vancouver Centre Canada Line station though.

Another good choice for families and groups is the Rosedale on Robson which is all suites and about 5 blocks from the Vancouver Centre station. I think you would prefer the Blue Horizon location though.

Many thanks again! Blue Horizon may not be able to fix us with 3 rooms that day.... is the CARMANA PLAZA an OK choice too ?

Don't know much about the Carmanah Plaza as a place to stay - think it is more of an extended stay apartment building but the location is fine - just a block or so from the Blue Horizon - some of the other locals should be along and be able to give you a better opinion of it.

Cheers!

Dennis