Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Once that you have done your thing outside of the city then there is really little point in keeping the car. There are lots of great HOHOs, tours and many of the downtown sites can be walked to. As for staying out in Richmond, I would be inclined to recommend staying in the Vancouver downtown area the reason being that you are going to spend an hour each day going back and forth from hotel to city. There are lots of hotels in the downtown that are within a few blocks of a Canada Line station and once there you have a 24 min ride out to YVR or a cab at that hour out to YVR is going to be about the same time.

There are lots of hotels in the downtown that are within a few blocks of a Canada Line station and once there you have a 24 min ride out to YVR or a cab at that hour out to YVR is going to be about the same time.

Thanks, my biggest concern is getting to the airport for an international departure at 6:30AM. I haven't flown out of Vancouver so I don't know what to expect at that hour.

Thanks, my biggest concern is getting to the airport for an international departure at 6:30AM. I haven't flown out of Vancouver so I don't know what to expect at that hour.

The first Canda Line train leaves waterfront at 4:48am. I would suggest arranging for a taxi and not relying on the train to take you to the airport for a 6:30am departure. For international departures, the suggestion is to arrive 3 hours prior. However, if you do get your boarding pass before heading to the airport, arriving by 4:30am would be okay (still ... arrive by taxi).

US CBP doesn't open at YVR until 0400. I am with Tweedy, 0430 would be lots of time at that hour and likely 0500. You can also speed things up a bit if you get an extra US customs declaration form either before you board the ship or from the Customer Services Desk on the ship and complete it the night before you leave for YVR...it will save time filling it out at a kiosk at YVR. Incidentally, YVR installed some new passport scanning kiosks a few weeks ago which have evidently sped up the process at CBP.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/sample_declaration_form.xml

We have a 6:30AM flight out of Vancouver.

After getting off the ship we plan to rent a car near the cruiseport and spend two days somewhere other than Vancouver. We will then return to Vancouver for two nights including the night before the early flight.

We can keep the car for the two days and return it at the airport or we can check into a hotel and return the car.

Is there any real advantage to having a car if all we plan in Vancouver is downtown, Stanley Park, and various touristy stuff. If we keep the car we will need to pay for parking pretty much everywhere we go plus overnight parking at a downtown hotel.

My thoughts are that the most efficient plan would be to check in at a hotel near the airport (Richmond) that has easy access to SkyTrain. We can then return the car and get back and forth on public transportation.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations (hotel near airport and Skytrain station)?

NOTE: It will be me, my wife, and two daughters (11, 15).

We stayed at the Sheraton Richmond and it was only a few blocks away from the skytrain. It only takes 15 minutes to get into downtown that way. The hotel has a free shuttle from/to the airport which saves transit costs, car rental costs and parking costs. It worked really well for us.

Further to SB's note - you can split a strip of Aquabucks, we do it all the time. As to taking a bus with suitcases on a Monday - there are very few places you can put luggage on a bus, unlike the Canada Line Skytrain which was set up with suitcases in mind, so yes, regular bus riders will be somewhat miffed to climb over a big pile of suitcases - although being Canadian, you'll probably just have a lot of bad karma sent your way than get punched;-)

Since you're concession fare eligible, and have 5 people, I'll point out two things: one, that you don't actually save any money with Faresavers on a Concession ticket ($1.75 per ticket, vs. $1.75 cash fare...); and two, that a cab may actually cost you *less* than transit to get to the pier from your hotel - it's straight down Howe just 1 mile. Ask the hotel to call you a minivan cab so you can all fit in one, it'll be under $10 on the meter.

NB: the Faresavers do avoid the $5 airport surcharge, so they're worth getting for you - but I'd use leftover tickets to zip into Stanley Park on the #19 bus after dropping your bags so you can see a bit more during your morning. Then you can walk back along the Seawall, and if you have time wander down into Gastown.

Thank you very much for this additional information. We'll get a cab from the hotel and catch the #19 bus into the park.

You'll be fine with luggage on the bus, as long as you don't do it between 7am-9am during rush hour. Just wait until 10:30ish and it'll be pretty quiet.

As for the multi-mode transportation, the 90 minutes is good on Skytrain (all three lines), all buses and Seabus (the passenger ferry to North Vancouver).

Thanks for input again, scottbee. I wouldn't have a problem taking a single piece of luggage (plus large purse) on the bus after rush hour. I'll see how everyone else feels.

All my career I rented Budget and never had a problem (I am not saying that what happened a year ago didn't happen but it was sensational and the media loves that) Avis was my back up. Hertz to me has always been the more expensive and Enterprise for a variety of reasons is at the bottom of my list. On occasion I have used Thrifty and if they are competitive, given their location relative to you hotel, I would go with them.

I know...the downside of being a researcher/planner is that I uncover EVERY problem anybody has ever had, and then I worry about it!:o

Can someone confirm what I think is going on and maybe answer some questions?

I read several places that Avis, Alamo, Hertz, and National have kiosks at the cruise terminal itself.

The only companies that show up for online booking are Alamo and National.

Hertz shows the Canada Place location on their website but says you cannot book online.

Avis shows nothing about locations at the pier.

Based on what I gather from various places Alamo and National actually have a regular office in the Pan Pacific Hotel and kiosks downstairs at the terminal and have the cars located onsite.

Hertz and Avis have kiosks but no cars onsite.

Enterprise, Budget do not have kiosks or cars onsite.

I assume Herts, Avis, Enterprise, and Budget will shuttle you to the car location. One person can go get the car and come pack for the rest of travelling party or everyone can shuttle to the car.

So, with that said from a purely convenience point of view Alamo and National would be the simplest. Book online, pick up at pier.

All other would require a shuttle somewhere and possibly speaking to someone on the phone:(

So, do I have this straight?

How far are the lots with cars? I assume they aren't very close like at an airport where it is a five minute shuttle ride but that is just based on experience in other downtown areas.

Can someone confirm what I think is going on and maybe answer some questions?

I read several places that Avis, Alamo, Hertz, and National have kiosks at the cruise terminal itself.

The only companies that show up for online booking are Alamo and National.

Hertz shows the Canada Place location on their website but says you cannot book online.

Avis shows nothing about locations at the pier.

Based on what I gather from various places Alamo and National actually have a regular office in the Pan Pacific Hotel and kiosks downstairs at the terminal and have the cars located onsite.

Hertz and Avis have kiosks but no cars onsite.

Enterprise, Budget do not have kiosks or cars onsite.

I assume Herts, Avis, Enterprise, and Budget will shuttle you to the car location. One person can go get the car and come pack for the rest of travelling party or everyone can shuttle to the car.

So, with that said from a purely convenience point of view Alamo and National would be the simplest. Book online, pick up at pier.

All other would require a shuttle somewhere and possibly speaking to someone on the phone:(

So, do I have this straight?

How far are the lots with cars? I assume they aren't very close like at an airport where it is a five minute shuttle ride but that is just based on experience in other downtown areas.

I've been researching rental cars for a downtown drop-off. Avis has a location at 575 Hornby St. that I know you can book directly from. That is only a half-mile walk from Canada Place, so it might be a possibility.

Thrifty also has a downtown location very close to the pier, at 413 Seymour St. It would be a little under a half mile walk.

Rock-Dr, you pretty much got it. However, only National is listed as having a location at Canada Place this year and it is in the lobby of the Pan Pacific. I am not at all certain that the others have even kiosks at the terminal this year. However all have downtown locations within about 4 to 8 blocks of the terminal and to my knowledge all will shuttle you except Thrifty which I had cause to phone recently and they will pay your cab fare up to $7 as a credit to your account.

Further update on bike rentals at Convention center - was by there today on the bike and stopped in at Ezee Riders and spoke to the gal manning the counter - at that location there have hybird bikes - they are motorized but can be ridden like any other bike by just not turning the electric motor on - they also are renting electric scooters at the convention center location.

Their web site is a little thin but here's a link:

http://www.ezeeriders.com/contact.html

Cheers

Dennis

First, Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I asked a lot of questions about rental cars and driving all over the place and I appreciate all your suggestions. After careful consideration we plan to scrap the rental car and Seattle and spend the whole four days in Vancouver (for now at least).

So, now a new question. we need a hotel in Vancouver for 4 nights, two adults and 11 and 15 girls.

We don't want to risk hotwire (because of the girls) and would like to keep in the $200 range after tax so we are looking at the $175 price range. We don't want/need anything fancy. We would like something convenient, clean, quiet, and safe. We are typically stay at Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn type chains those in downtown are higher than we would like (we could if we have to).

We plan to go to Stanley Park and the Aquarium, Grouse Mountain, some city parks and gardens, and who knows what else.

Which neighborhoods should we be looking in?

Any suggestions for hotels?

David

For your dates I am getting direct prices within your target range at the Rosedale on Robson, the Blue Horizon and the Holiday Inn Downtown. However if you take the Hampton's "advance purchase" rate and factor in the cost of 4 breakfasts for 4 mornings and their free downtown shuttle I wonder how far you are off your target...just a thought.

... we need a hotel in Vancouver for 4 nights, two adults and 11 and 15 girls... and would like to keep in the $200 range after tax so we are looking at the $175 price range.

You could look at the YWCA Hotel - it's on the same street as the Hampton, offer large rooms suitable for families, fridges in the rooms and full kitchens available if you want to make breakfast/pack lunches yourself to save a few bucks to spend elsewhere. A triple room (1 double bed, 2 singles, private bathroom) is $155 a night rack rate.

We stayed here when we visited Vancouver before moving here and it was certainly quiet, clean & comfy. Location is good for walking to Yaletown/Gastown/Chinatown and pretty good for transit too. And how often does your hotel bill actually donate to a charitable organization???

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get to the Lion's Gate Bridge, after sailing from Canada Place? We'll be on the Norwegian Sun and we'd like to be out on deck when we pass under the bridge, but we also want to make a dinner reservation for that first night (not lobster fans and hubby's birthday). We don't know whether to make an early or late dinner reservation so as not to miss the bridge.

Thank you!

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get to the Lion's Gate Bridge, after sailing from Canada Place? We'll be on the Norwegian Sun and we'd like to be out on deck when we pass under the bridge, but we also want to make a dinner reservation for that first night (not lobster fans and hubby's birthday). We don't know whether to make an early or late dinner reservation so as not to miss the bridge.

Thank you!

In the region of 15 to 20 minutes from the time your ship pulls away from the pier...you could be as long as 30 mins if there happens to be a lot of traffic that evening but that's tops.

We'll be sailing out of Ballantyne Pier. Two years ago we rented a car at YVR and dropped off at a car rental location that was closest to that pier. For the life of me I can't find my records on which company and location I used. Does anyone know which company has an office closest to Ballantyne. TIA:)

Budget used to operate a location on the southwest edge of Chinatown but I can't find a listing for it now...it would have been the closest. The next closest would be Thrifty in the 400 blk of Seymour. However, all the biggies will or should offer a free shuttle service but I would confirm that directly with the location.

Help ... I'm usually the Queen of Research, but today I'm caught in a loop and can't find what I am looking for.

I'm hoping both of these will dock at Canada Place ... but I don't think the sites updated yet.

Dates I am looking at:

May 8, 2014 - Norwegian Pearl - Arrival

May 9, 2014 - Star Princess - Departure

Do you know when the May 2014 cruise ship schedule will post?

Is there a way to know which side the ship will dock on? Just curious. We are thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific for the 1 night and it would be fun to see our ship sail in.

Thanks.

It's really to far ahead to say for sure but Princess usually uses the east side of Canada Place and NCL is using the west side this year. However, with your early May date this could be a repositioning weekend and the Pearl could be over at Balantyne Pier in which case you would want a east side room.

It's really to far ahead to say for sure but Princess usually uses the east side of Canada Place and NCL is using the west side this year. However, with your early May date this could be a repositioning weekend and the Pearl could be over at Balantyne Pier in which case you would want a east side room.

I thought I might be a bit early on the schedule. They changed out our itinerary so I'm hoping that we won't be arriving at Balantyne, but if we do it's OK too. Fingers crossed tho that we do leave from Canada Place when we board the Star Princess on the 9th. that would be sooooo much easier all the way around. Both are repositioning cruises.

Well just to add to your confusion, as few years ago we repositioned on the Golden from Los Angeles which used the normal east side of the terminal, then we crossed over through Canada Place and boarded the Sapphire which was on the west side and there was a HAL ship which normally uses the west side tied up on the north side.

Well just to add to your confusion, as few years ago we repositioned on the Golden from Los Angeles which used the normal east side of the terminal, then we crossed over through Canada Place and boarded the Sapphire which was on the west side and there was a HAL ship which normally uses the west side tied up on the north side.

:D

Wonder how they decide who gets which berth .. no answer needed, but sometimes I wonder if it is by drawing the name of the ship out of the hat. (said with humor, not criticism. )