Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you all for so much help! If we drive in Canada to say just west of Glacier NP, how are the roads? tolls? I read on one travel directions that there are toll roads in Canada near Washington/Canada border that only take electronic pmt.

Do you mean coming from the east as in driving from New Jersey? If so the border is the least of your worries :) No, there are no direct routes to Sumas approaching from the east unless you really enjoy leisurely scenic drives on secondary roads. All practical routes for long distance cross the Cascades on I90 and go up I5 from Seattle to the border. Here in the west the shortest driving distance between two points is rarely a straight line. There are pesky mountain ranges in the way all over the place.

For a trip like this don't waste any worry on border waits and enjoy the drive for it's own sake.

yes, we still aren't 100% sure if coming but I sure hope we can.

Thank you all for so much help! If we drive in Canada to say just west of Glacier NP, how are the roads? tolls? I read on one travel directions that there are toll roads in Canada near Washington/Canada border that only take electronic pmt.

We don't have any toll roads in Canada . The last one had it's toll removed about 10 yrs ago. That was highway 5 from Kamloops to Hope. We do have two toll bridges in the Vancouver area . We you cross they photograph your license number and try to identify it. I don't think they have access to vehicles registered outside of BC or Canada. There are signs showing alternate routes into Vancouver. My of our highways aren't interstates . They are two or four lane highways. Highway 1 or Trans Canada is good all the way from Calgary to Kamloops. At Kamloops (my hometown) most take Highway 5 to Hope ,where they rejoin the Trans Canada . It is interstate quality from Kamloops all the way to Vancouver . Due to our seasons a lot of highway construction is done in the summer ( so expect short delays).

Edited by Kamloops50

We don't have any toll roads in Canada . The last one had it's toll removed about 10 yrs ago. That was highway 5 from Kamloops to Hope. We do have two toll bridges in the Vancouver area . We you cross they photograph your license number and try to identify it. I don't think they have access to vehicles registered outside of BC or Canada. There are signs showing alternate routes into Vancouver. My of our highways aren't interstates . They are two or four lane highways. Highway 1 or Trans Canada is good all the way from Calgary to Kamloops. At Kamloops (my hometown) most take Highway 5 to Hope ,where they rejoin the Trans Canada . It is interstate quality from Kamloops all the way to Vancouver . Due to our seasons a lot of highway construction is done in the summer ( so expect short delays).

Thank you. We may like a more scenic route on the way home if we decide to go for sure. How do you suggest a ride from Vancouver to the west side of Glacier NP? I know there is a border crossing about 20 miles north of the western side. Thank you again. I saw the electronic toll notice on a mapquest alternate drive for this travel. Also, I really want just one crossing. That route looked like the route went in and out between Canada and US. It isn't that I don't want to pay tolls, my concern was that I wouldn't have the transponder. (not that I like tolls don't get me wrong!)

Edited by sept10dsm

There is a toll on our shiny new Port Mann bridge just outside Vancouver which could be described as 'electronic only' - your license plate is snapped by their equipment, and if you're not registered with the organization running the tolls they mail an invoice to your home. Even unregistered though, you can pay the fee online within 7 days and avoid the extra processing fee - and if you do register before November this year you get 2 free trips which is probably all you'll need if you live in Jersey! $3 per trip for a regular car.

If you want to avoid the toll entirely, cross the Patullo bridge instead - it adds an extra couple of kilometres and a few minutes to the trip; a GPS via point anywhere on Royal Avenue in New Westminster will ensure you avoid the toll... Otherwise I can't think of any tolls anywhere on the TransCanada Highway from Ontario all the way over to BC - if you *stop* inside Banff park you have to pay the park fee, but just driving through is still free, and the toll on the Coquihalla stopped ~five years back.

When you say 'drive in Canada ... to just west of Glacier NP' whether you mean the Canadian Glacier National Park or the US one I don't see any sensible reason to head back over the US border - you'd add time and distance as well as missing out on fantastic scenery.

You'll find our highways much the same as US ones - through the Rockies there are some slower sections, lots of curves, but trucks and RVs drive through without problems and if you're seriously entertaining a cross-country road trip I imagine you're fairly confident behind the wheel.

Driving in Canada all the way across will add at least 8 hours to your trip - going up around the Great Lakes is a lot of extra mileage. But cutting over before the Rockies only adds a couple of hours extra to the trip compared to just taking the 90/94 straight across. Personally I'd use US highways 90/94 until Montana, cross on the 15 north of Great Falls and head up to Calgary then stick to Highway 1 all the way into Vancouver.

Unless you love dinosaurs - in which case hit the Tyrell Museum in Drumheller before Calgary (it's an excellent museum, well-worth the extra hour - cross the border on the 52 in North Dakota and join the 1 in Moose Jaw). You could also take a slight detour into wine country by cutting through the Okanagan, which adds about an hour extra driving - plus all the drinking and sobering-up time of course... :D

A bit out of date, but a superb breakdown of the whole route, is transcanadahighway.com - a website dedicated to giving you as much infor as possible about the road.

Edit - dang, took me a while typing that up and Kamloops 50 already covered some of the material much more succinctly! Sorry to double-up...

Edited by martincath

Ramen Jinya is the only place I know off-hand is Japanese-owned near the Westin (it's part of Takahasi Tomonori's restaurant group, La Brea). They have excellent broths, especially the premium pork, and the staff all speak at least a little Japanese - I believe they try to hire Japanese youngsters studying in Vancouver. Very good, but it is just a ramen bar.

If you're looking for higher end Japanese cuisine, Tojo's offers ludicrously good sushi at a premium price. Hidekazu Tojo still runs the place, has done for 25 years. It's a bit out of the way compared to the Westin though - the number 17 bus will take you there without any changes, about a block to walk on each end, or a cab would probably run you about $12-15 depending on traffic.

In-between those extremes, I'd need to do some digging to see which restaurants are Japanese-owned. If you can be more specific about your budget I'll look into it for you...

Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for something that won't break the bank. Was in Vancouver for a summer exchange 9years ago and had a meal at this small jap owned restaurant which served great sushi at affordable prices. Forgot the restaurant name. Guess its a long shot, but hope to find some similar restaurants.

Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for something that won't break the bank. Was in Vancouver for a summer exchange 9years ago and had a meal at this small jap owned restaurant which served great sushi at affordable prices. Forgot the restaurant name. Guess its a long shot, but hope to find some similar restaurants.

I see - so it's more of a 'finding decent sushi at a good price' thing than a need for the owners to be Japanese! In that case, you'll probably find any of the Izakayas in town worth checking out - there's been a bit of an explosion of them since your last visit, we now have a couple of chains with several branches (Guu and Hapa - actually both of these would have been operating 9 years ago, though I think only in one location each). Personally I'm a fan of Alpha - tremendous sushi rolls. You could also try Shuraku on Granville or Kaide (a little out of the way down Richards, but not far from the Seawall) which is my go-to when I just want to eat a big pile of sashimi.

First thank you to all who post such great information on this thread. My family and I will be in Vancouver for one day pre cruise in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions. We plan to visit both Stanley Park and Granville Island. Is one better than the other to do in the first half of day versus the afternoon? Also, any lunch and/or dinner recommendations for each location? We like any type of food. We would prefer a fairly inexpensive lunch. Thanks in advance for the help.

First thank you to all who post such great information on this thread. My family and I will be in Vancouver for one day pre cruise in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions. We plan to visit both Stanley Park and Granville Island. Is one better than the other to do in the first half of day versus the afternoon? Also, any lunch and/or dinner recommendations for each location? We like any type of food. We would prefer a fairly inexpensive lunch. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't think it really matters which you do first but if you do Granville Is. in the morning that would allow you to have lunch in food court in public market on the island. A good family type dinner can be enjoyed at the White Spot on W. Georgia & Chilco St. just a couple of blocks from the entrance to Stanley Park. If we knew where you were staying and the ages of your children we likely could come with some other ideas for dinner.

I unexpectedly found myself with two hotel reservations for our one-night stay in Vancouver before a cruise in September. Could you please tell me which of these might be preferable for 4 adults?

2 Deluxe rooms (w/balcony) at the Georgian Court OR a 2 Bedroom Superior Suite at L'Hermitage? I'm leaning towards L'Hermitage based on reviews and photographs, but if you have experience with both of these hotels, which would you recommend?

The suite at L'Hermitage will be about $60 more than the 2 rooms at the Georgian Court. Something that appeals to me about L'Hermitage is that it has in-suite laundry which will come in handy since we're spending some time up at Whistler before the cruise. Both appear to be conveniently located to the Budget downtown car drop-off location, and both seem to have plenty of choices for restaurants. L'Hermitage also comes with a full kitchen, which we don't really need but would be nice for morning coffee and cold drinks.

Thanks!:)

I don't think it really matters which you do first but if you do Granville Is. in the morning that would allow you to have lunch in food court in public market on the island. A good family type dinner can be enjoyed at the White Spot on W. Georgia & Chilco St. just a couple of blocks from the entrance to Stanley Park. If we knew where you were staying and the ages of your children we likely could come with some other ideas for dinner.

My children are 16 and 12 and are well-rounded eaters. We will have my 74 year-old mother with us as well, and so I do not want to have to walk too far. She is quite able to walk a half mile or so at a time though. Thank you for your input.

... 2 Deluxe rooms (w/balcony) at the Georgian Court OR a 2 Bedroom Superior Suite at L'Hermitage?...

While I haven't stayed in Georgian Court, L'Hermitage is where everyone in my wife's company stays when they're in town - and they all rave about it. The location is better as you don't have the stadium right outside the hotel blocking a big chunk of your view. At an extra $15 per adult, I'd keep the l'H reso in a heartbeat even if it didn't have the bonus kitchen etc.

Update on the bike rentals at the Convention center - I was by there today on my bike - it appears as if Eezee Riders are renting motorized bikes and scooters only. The Trevor Linden location had a line up of people waiting to rent - we do have a big convention in town this weekend - all the mayors etc from across Canada in town for the Federation of Canadian Mayors conference - perhaps some of them were renting as well - clearing skies, brisk westerly breeze and the usual spectacular views greeters those visitors and those getting off the ships at Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

My children are 16 and 12 and are well-rounded eaters. We will have my 74 year-old mother with us as well, and so I do not want to have to walk too far. She is quite able to walk a half mile or so at a time though. Thank you for your input.

Then what I proposed will certainly work for you. Are you renting a car because getting around in Stanley Park will certainly be more than a mile?

I think this just reinforces what PD already said - Granville Island has more stuff going on close together than the park, so puttering around here in the morning so your mom can walk a little, have a rest, walk some more etc. then lunch at the market makes sense. In the park though, I strongly suggest considering the Park Shuttle or Carriages so your mom can see plenty of it.

Food options inside the park are generally poor value IMHO - you're paying for the view, and at dinner the only option is really the Fish House (Prospect Point closes early) which can certainly cook a decent bit of fish, but you can get better for less elsewhere. PD's suggestion of White Spot @ Georgia & Cardero is certainly much cheaper, with the archetypal 'something for everyone' menu.

There are more eateries than you can shake a stick at all the way down Denman, the street that runs across the peninsula just outside the park, and around English Bay. Personally I'd recommend Cactus Club Cafe at English Bay as somewhere with consistently good food, great views especially in the evening, and offering good value-for-money (not cheap, but you can see every $ on the plate).

I unexpectedly found myself with two hotel reservations for our one-night stay in Vancouver before a cruise in September. Could you please tell me which of these might be preferable for 4 adults?

2 Deluxe rooms (w/balcony) at the Georgian Court OR a 2 Bedroom Superior Suite at L'Hermitage? I'm leaning towards L'Hermitage based on reviews and photographs, but if you have experience with both of these hotels, which would you recommend?

The suite at L'Hermitage will be about $60 more than the 2 rooms at the Georgian Court. Something that appeals to me about L'Hermitage is that it has in-suite laundry which will come in handy since we're spending some time up at Whistler before the cruise. Both appear to be conveniently located to the Budget downtown car drop-off location, and both seem to have plenty of choices for restaurants. L'Hermitage also comes with a full kitchen, which we don't really need but would be nice for morning coffee and cold drinks.

Thanks!:)

I would certainly regard the l'Hermitage's location to be superior to the Georgian Court as the GC is just a little out of the swing of things. So if you are comfortable with the extra $60 then I would go for the l'Hermitage.

While I haven't stayed in Georgian Court, L'Hermitage is where everyone in my wife's company stays when they're in town - and they all rave about it. The location is better as you don't have the stadium right outside the hotel blocking a big chunk of your view. At an extra $15 per adult, I'd keep the l'H reso in a heartbeat even if it didn't have the bonus kitchen etc.

I would certainly regard the l'Hermitage's location to be superior to the Georgian Court as the GC is just a little out of the swing of things. So if you are comfortable with the extra $60 then I would go for the l'Hermitage.

Thanks!

Hi,

Any suggestions in the Vancouver or surrounding areas where we could take an coastal hike with tidepools, seacaves, arches and such?

We may also want to visit Butchart Gardens so we may rent a car and ferry over to Vancouver Island.

Dave

Ugh...I talked to my mom, and L'Hermitage may not work for her because she and my aunt don't want to share a king bed. :(

I still want to move closer to Canada Place, even if I won't have laundry. I'm looking at The Metropolitan, the Le Soleil, and the Traditions Club. All three of those look like places I could get rooms for $250ish/night. Mom, DH, & I can all roll with the punches, but my aunt can be "particular." Your thoughts on those hotels? Thank you!

Update on the bike rentals at the Convention center - I was by there today on my bike - it appears as if Eezee Riders are renting motorized bikes and scooters only. The Trevor Linden location had a line up of people waiting to rent - we do have a big convention in town this weekend - all the mayors etc from across Canada in town for the Federation of Canadian Mayors conference - perhaps some of them were renting as well - clearing skies, brisk westerly breeze and the usual spectacular views greeters those visitors and those getting off the ships at Canada Place.

Thanks for finding that info out Dennis. A little disappointing that they are not renting regular bikes from the Convention Center location, because that would be so convenient for us, but at least we know now.

"Any suggestions in the Vancouver or surrounding areas where we could take an coastal hike with tidepools, seacaves, arches and such?"

You won't get too much of that close to Vancouver - the best areas would be on Vancouver Island - the Juan De Fuca trail - would have some but probably the best spot would be Pacific Rim Park on Vancouver Island - Tofino-Uclulet area.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,

The gang are looking at places for a dinner the night we arrive... thought the menu at Steamworks Brewing Pub had enough variety to please everyone (+ beer ;)),

Is this a good choice? We are staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel.... is the restaurant in walking distance :confused: or SkyTrain or taxi?

We are certainly open to any other ideas on places to eat.

Thanks!

There are tide pool areas near Horseshoe Bay just north of Vancouver but they are impacted by the urban density and boat traffic. For more undisturbed environments you do need to go over to the island as Dennis mentioned.