Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi,

We will be arriving at the Vancouver airport around 1 pm on a Saturday. We are staying at the Blue Horizon and heading out on a cruise the next day. My plan when we get to the hotel is to first go to a nearby drugstore for some last minute sundries and water to take on the ship with us. I believe that I remember seeing that there is one within a block or two of the hotel.

I think that it will be too late in the day by that point to do a HOHO tour (I'm surprised that they stop running so early in the summer), so I was interested in going to Granville Island. My understanding is that it will be a good place to do some people watching, enjoy some fresh air and water views and get a bite to eat. I'm hoping there will be some street performers, as well. Is this an accurate assesment? Any advice on places to eat dinner on Granville Island?

Also, will there be a place on Granville Island where we can easily catch a taxi back to our hotel?

Thanks!

Yes there are drug stores close by - I believe there is a Shoppers Drug Mart fairly close, and you can head up to Davie St or along to Denman Street for shopping. The desk at your hotel should have info.

Granville Island is great on a sunny day, lots of places to eat there and don't discount picking up a plate of food inside the market and sitting outside to eat it in the sunshine. There are several restaurants on the island, you'll be walking past them. As to a taxi, there is rank close by the market, so no problem. Or you can catch the #50 bus back to Granville Street from just outside the market, and walk along Robson to your hotel.

You *could* do a HOHO, but you'd probably only have time to follow the loop once with very minimal hopping on and off. Remember that all the HOHO companies offer a second day free when you book online, and you'll have all the next morning as well as potentially time at the end of the cruise if it's a round trip.

Your summary of Granville Island is pretty much spot on, and there will be buskers around unless the weather is terrible. Good dinner spots - if you want to eat really well, Edible Canada is hands-down the best food on the island IMO. It's not cheap, but it's better than all the other comparably-priced alternatives like The Sandbar and Whet. Good value steaks can be had in the The Keg. For a more pubby sit-down option I'd do Cats Social House.

Taxis will be lurking all day and evening - the island is a very popular spot. You could take one of the little ferries back across the water and grab a cab on the other side (by the time you pay the fare to drive off the island and loop back over one of the bridges, it might even be cheaper as well as scenic to take the boat).

Hi,

We will be arriving at the Vancouver airport around 1 pm on a Saturday. We are staying at the Blue Horizon and heading out on a cruise the next day. My plan when we get to the hotel is to first go to a nearby drugstore for some last minute sundries and water to take on the ship with us. I believe that I remember seeing that there is one within a block or two of the hotel.

I think that it will be too late in the day by that point to do a HOHO tour (I'm surprised that they stop running so early in the summer), so I was interested in going to Granville Island. My understanding is that it will be a good place to do some people watching, enjoy some fresh air and water views and get a bite to eat. I'm hoping there will be some street performers, as well. Is this an accurate assesment? Any advice on places to eat dinner on Granville Island?

Also, will there be a place on Granville Island where we can easily catch a taxi back to our hotel?

Thanks!

Hello,

We just spent yesterday afternoon and evening on Granville Island. It was a wonderful way to spend time. The shops carry unique, often hand-crafted items, and the public food market is wonderful. We had a fabulous dinner at The Sandbar restaurant. I would make reservations. There are a number of tables with nice views of the water. My husband's swordfish was cooked perfectly. And my twelve year old daughter ordered delicious-looking macaroni and cheese followed by an amazing chocolate pudding for dessert. When she was finished, she leaned back in her chair and proclaimed, "I love this place." Enjoy your time there!

Hi,

Thanks!

If you step out of the Blue Horizon onto Robson Street, go to your left. Just after the light at Bute (1/2 block from hotel) is London Drugs You should be able to find everything you need here.

If you are looking for a cab back to the hotel from Granville Island, just pop by one of the many restaurants there. You shouldn't have a problem. You could also take the water taxi across False Creek to downtown and then catch a cab from there or if it is a nice night, walk back to your hotel (depending on the time of course).

Edited by Tweedy

taking the amtrak cascade from Seattle. Just wondering the best way to get to the Holiday Inn at Burnaby/Metrotown?

thanks

That's a no brainer. From Pacific Station (amtrak/via) turn left 45 degrees exiting the building and cross Main street at Terminal and board Skytrain (the elevated train) at the station there called "MAIN STREET/SCIENCE WORLD". Get on any Skytrain eastbound (either Expo line to King George, or Millennium line to VCC/Clark). Ride 6 stops and get off at Metrotown. Use the elevator off the platform as that end of the platform is a little closer to the Holiday Inn as in, it's across the street. Cost is $4.00 days $2.75 evenings/weekends (2 zones)

Thanks so much everyone for your answers to my questions about drug stores near the hotel and visiting Granville Island (which I'm really looking forward to). I hope the weather will cooperate with us that day!

Never met Tweedy CC but she gave us good info for last Aug 2012 and we enjoyed all she recomended and how to do what when we arrived in Vancouver area. Good Luck she knows her area.

Sorry to be posting this on two forums, but trying to get an answer before my DD heads to bed.

My daughter and SIL are at the Best Western Downtown and heading to the airport tomorrow. They have an 11:00 a.m. flight. They can get a shuttle from the hotel to the train station or walk. What time would you recommend they leave the hotel? Thanks!

Edited by vbmom87

Has anyone stayed at The Century Plaza on Burrad St. In Vancouver? Reviews look good, but would like to hear a first hand comment. Coming in this Sunday and staying again post cruise.

thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has anyone stayed at The Century Plaza on Burrad St. In Vancouver? Reviews look good, but would like to hear a first hand comment. Coming in this Sunday and staying again post cruise.

thanks!

I would describe it as a older hotel that has had a major upgrade in the past couple of years. It is located across from St. Paul's Hospital (where I was born) and its stock and trade is people coming to St. Paul's who need overnight accommodation either pre or post surgery or for people accompanying people who are having a stay at the hospital. I have not seen the rooms since it was renovated. Location is safe but you may find it a tad noisy with ambulances arriving at the hospital.

thanks!

The Century Plaza is not a hotel that we often get question about and I have to admit that I had a incorrect fix on it with yesterday's post. I drove by the hotel this morning and realized my mistake.:o While I am certain that you will be happy with it, most of my previous comments do stand. I am sure all will be interested in how you find it.

We have a plan to rent bikes at/near the Canada Center. Do I understand correctly that one can ride along the water all the way to Stanley Park?

We are at the hotel now. Checked in yesterday an checking out today to board the Island Princess.

The area is very convenient. 2 blocks from Robson.

The lobby is beautiful (in my opinion). Modern/Elegant/newly done. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

The rooms do not match the lobby as far as being updated. They are pretty worn, but very clean. Rooms/suites are very large with kitchen areas fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, etc. The last thing we want to do is cook on vacation, but I can see where it would be convenient for families with small kids or business people on an extended stay that need to adhere to a travel allowance.

Bottom line, I would recommend this hotel. I think it is perfect for pre/post cruise. We will be back on July 8 for a day post cruise. However, if I were on vacation for an extended time, in my opinion, I would prefer someplace more updated with nicer rooms.

Hope this helps a bit.

We are at the hotel now. Checked in yesterday an checking out today to board the Island Princess.

The area is very convenient. 2 blocks from Robson.

The lobby is beautiful (in my opinion). Modern/Elegant/newly done. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

The rooms do not match the lobby as far as being updated. They are pretty worn, but very clean. Rooms/suites are very large with kitchen areas fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, etc. The last thing we want to do is cook on vacation, but I can see where it would be convenient for families with small kids or business people on an extended stay that need to adhere to a travel allowance.

Bottom line, I would recommend this hotel. I think it is perfect for pre/post cruise. We will be back on July 8 for a day post cruise. However, if I were on vacation for an extended time, in my opinion, I would prefer someplace more updated with nicer rooms.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the review.

I hope you are not going riding in the rain...I am about ready to head into the city for some business meetings and I am not looking forward to it in this rain.

I am wondering how long to expect it will take to clear customs, baggage claim, and get downtown on the Canada Line. We are US citizens flying in on United Airlines. Thanks

It will depend upon how international flights are in front of you but plan on about 30/45 mins to de-plane, clear customs and pick up luggage. From the terminal to YVR station, pay fare, wait for train, travel time and walk the 3 blocks from Waterfront station to Canada Place allow about 40/45 mins.

Just wondering where we can exchange US dollars for Canadian? It wouldn't be a lot really just for tips. Also, probably a weekend. Thanks.

You will find any number of banks in the downtown area that will do the exchange for you or you can use an ATM to get some CAD....but be sure and use a bank or credit union's ATM, the private label ones can have some pretty hefty fees and exchange rates.

Just wondering where we can exchange US dollars for Canadian? It wouldn't be a lot really just for tips. Also, probably a weekend. Thanks.

Firstly, most people will accept US$, so for tips that would be fine.

If you want an easy currency exchange to Canada Place, there's one on Howe (where all the taxis line up to get into Canada Place) half a block from Canada Place. Go up the stairs next to Miku restaurant, and it's right there