Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

On a less serious note, but important still the same, where could we go to get our snacks to take on the ship. I don't want to have to put them in our luggage taking up valuable weight! Is there a Walmart/grocery store near Canada Place or near downtown?

There are no WalMart in the downtown, except for one out in the extreme east side of the city they are all out in the 'burbs. However close to Canada Place there is and Urban Fare market at Bute and Hastings about 3 blocks west of the pier, a Shoppers Drug Mart in the 500 block of Granville about 5 blocks south of the pier and London Drugs which is at the corner of Granville and Georgia about 6 blocks south of the pier. London Drugs is across the street from the Hudsons Bay and Pacific Centre.:)

Thanks for all the great advice. I was wondering where do I make reservations for a Victoria ferry? I am going to take advice from people on this thread and use Priceline to find a hotel in Victoria, but was wondering if anyone knows about hotels in Vancouver to stay the night before the cruise that will provide parking for the week. We are driving up from Vancouver, Washington.

The spot prawn season normally runs until the end of June...but that can vary from zone to zone. Judging from the totes I am seeing on fishmen's pick up trucks I am guessing the season is still open up here on the Sunshine Coast....but I haven't been to interested as we have about 10 lbs frozen in sea water in the freezer. As for restaurants....there have been a number mentioned in the Vancouver "Sun" newspapers lately but the papers went to the curb for recycling tonight. I would try phoning something like A Kettle of Fish, Aqua Riva or the 5 Sails when you get here and ask if they have them on the menu. I will eat them raw as I am peeling them....they are like eating candy....and very high in cholesterol I should add, but what a way to go.:D

Thanks for all the great advice. I was wondering where do I make reservations for a Victoria ferry? I am going to take advice from people on this thread and use Priceline to find a hotel in Victoria, but was wondering if anyone knows about hotels in Vancouver to stay the night before the cruise that will provide parking for the week. We are driving up from Vancouver, Washington.

Lorri;

I am going to brief as it has been a long day and I have an early t-time in the morning. Try the Coast Plaza in the city's west end and there are two Accent Inns, one in Richmond near the airport and the other in Burnaby just immediately east of Vancouver. Coming from Washington the Richmond location would probably work best for you. Otherwise downtown hotel parking is going to run $20/$30 pn. You can also park at the terminals for about $20 pn.

http://www.accentinns.com/

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_plaza/overview

The spot prawn season normally runs until the end of June...but that can vary from zone to zone. Judging from the totes I am seeing on fishmen's pick up trucks I am guessing the season is still open up here on the Sunshine Coast....but I haven't been to interested as we have about 10 lbs frozen in sea water in the freezer. As for restaurants....there have been a number mentioned in the Vancouver "Sun" newspapers lately but the papers went to the curb for recycling tonight. I would try phoning something like A Kettle of Fish, Aqua Riva or the 5 Sails when you get here and ask if they have them on the menu. I will eat them raw as I am peeling them....they are like eating candy....and very high in cholesterol I should add, but what a way to go.:D

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up some online menus and didn't see anything on spot prawns. I did a search on the Vancouver Sun site and found a place call Steveston Seafood House - have you heard of it?

I've eaten the raw ones in sushi places. I thought maybe there're places that will sell them by the pound steamed? I will have to worry about cholesterol after I get home. :p

The Steveston Seafood house is out in Richmond well beyond the airport. I am not sure that you can buy them steamed by the pound as ordinarily people want to by them raw, peal them and then cook them themselves. But there are a couple of seafood businesses at Granville Island and an other at Lonsdale Quay where you might get them...but likely raw.

Hey PD - do you ever slow down - a rush trip across the water to see the newborn Grandson - back the same night - some late night posts and now an early tee-off time.

Your DW may be interested to know that the Dragon Boat races has a team comprised of people with MS that paddle each year - it is quite the task getting them down the ramp in their chairs etc - getting them into the boat and watching them paddle out to the start line - fortunately all we have to do is hold the tie lines - the MS people do the rest - in one race that I was able to watch before having to get back to loading a boat it appears as if the MS team might have beaten a team to the finish line and not come last.

Below is an image of the team taken as they are leaving the dock area. Taken with my Blackberry so not the best of quality.

Cheers

Dennis

2063235789_Dragonboat2009024.jpg.50c4855757ebb3eb491fdcfed0230410.jpg

]

Thanks for the info and the pix, I will pass it on to her. She is off to Deadmonton to vist Old Iron Jaws (aka. MIL) tomorrow morning so I get to batch until Saturday.

Edited by Putterdude

http://bcferries.com/ has a link to their reservation system. If you're travelling mid-day and not near a weekend, you probably wont find it busy enough to warrant a reservation.

As for hotels, I understand that the Coast Plaza has free parking and limo service to the cruise terminal.. http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_plaza/packages_and_specials/cruise_package

Hi I am arriving via train from Seattle to Vancouver. My hotel is Cascadia Hotel which is downtown Vancouver. What's the best way to get from the train to the hotel? We are 4 people (3 adults and 1 8-yr old). Also is there an ATM in the train station or near it. We will be staying in Vancouver for 3 days before hopping on an Alaska cruise, so would need some Canadian dollars. I know many places will take US dollars, but there are exceptions, like the Seabus/ferry, etc. - so would like to have Canadian dollars handy.

Any suggestions on where to go with an 8-year old boy is appreciated. Of course, Stanley Park is on the list. Also, what is the best way from the hotel to Ballantyne board which I believe the celebrity millenium will be leaving from.

Any input on Cascadia hotel and the location?

Thank you.

Edited by alwayslost

Hi I am arriving via train from Seattle to Vancouver. My hotel is Cascadia Hotel which is downtown Vancouver. What's the best way to get from the train to the hotel? We are 4 people (3 adults and 1 8-yr old). Also is there an ATM in the train station or near it. We will be staying in Vancouver for 3 days before hopping on an Alaska cruise, so would need some Canadian dollars. I know many places will take US dollars, but there are exceptions, like the Seabus/ferry, etc. - so would like to have Canadian dollars handy.

Any suggestions on where to go with an 8-year old boy is appreciated. Of course, Stanley Park is on the list. Also, what is the best way from the hotel to Ballantyne board which I believe the celebrity millenium will be leaving from.

Any input on Cascadia hotel and the location?

Thank you.

Taxis will take US$ and major credit cards, so there's no need to do it 'as soon as you arrive'. If you must, VanCity credit union is right across the street from the train station.

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good location to leave our luggage for about 10 hours close to the pier while we do some sightseeing in Vancouver while waiting for our 11PM flight? We thought of taking it to the airport for baggage storage but hate to pay for 2 extra taxi rides to get there and back. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Christine - the good news is that yes you can take public transit from the Airport to the Hampton - our new Airport rapid transit line starts operating by Labour Day - it will take you to the new Granville Station and from there you can walk about three blocks to your hotel or you could transfer from the Canada or Airport Line at Granville Station to the existing lines and take it one stop to Stadium station and be about a block to your hotel - as the new line hasn't started and the new stations not opened to the public just how some of the transfers will work is yet to be seen.

ScottBee is our resident expert on this new line as he works at the Airport and seems to know all the little tips.

The fare will be $3.75 per person - apparently the cars on this line were designed to handle luggage better than the existing ones.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Almost lost - the Cascadia is the former Marriott Residence Inn - changed names earlier this year but has the same management team - it is an all suite hotel located on the upper end of the downtown core - the area around it is fine - I live a block from this hotel so I can attest to the neighbourhood.

It is a three block walk to the water taxis to Granville Island - it is well served by transit and Yaletown, Granville Entertainment district and Robson Street shopping all are within a five or six block walk.

The HOHO buses all stop there as well as the Airporter.

There are lots of eating places on nearby Davie St.

Here's a link to an interactive map of downtown - if you look for the Burrard Bridge you will see a flag for the hotel - still shows it as the Marriott but gives you a good layout of the downtown core.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your three days in Vancouver - any questions don't hesitate to ask as there are a number of us locals who frequently visit theses boards.

Cheers

Dennis

I just happened upon this thread and intend to read all the posts but for now, I have a quick question.

We will be in Vancouver Aug 29 till we sail on the Spirit on Sept 2. I'm looking for Dungeness Crab. Is there a market area (like San Francisco's Fisherman's Market) where I can get some ready to eat crab without having to go to a restaurant?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

IWe will be in Vancouver Aug 29 till we sail on the Spirit on Sept 2. I'm looking for Dungeness Crab. Is there a market area (like San Francisco's Fisherman's Market) where I can get some ready to eat crab without having to go to a restaurant?

Try the Lobster Man at Granville Island

http://www.lobsterman.com/

P.S. You pick and they will cook it for you at no extra charge.

:)

Edited by ell52

Not sold at Costco - Provincial law - there are a number of private liquor stores as well as government ones in the downtown core BUT prices are a lot higher than in the States - we Canadians love our taxes.

If you tell us with Hotel you are staying at we will direct you to some of them.

Cheers

Dennis