Please go back to 15 day itnerary to Hawaii!

gargoyle999

Hi Mary - Probably not. It doesn't look like our granddaughters' college schedule will allow them to be gone during that total time, and we wanted this to be a family cruise. It's sure a great way to celebrate the holidays! Aloha!

With NCL dropping all but 1 ship at Hawaii, I find it hard to believe they would drop Kona due to port conjestion. We have been waiting to go and this 14-dayer is not what we had planned so we will wait and hope they go back to the 15-dayer. Alot of people only get to go to Hawaii once and I want to see all that I can.

I'm with you!

With NCL dropping all but 1 ship at Hawaii, I find it hard to believe they would drop Kona due to port conjestion. We have been waiting to go and this 14-dayer is not what we had planned so we will wait and hope they go back to the 15-dayer. Alot of people only get to go to Hawaii once and I want to see all that I can.

I'm with you!

The decision to change to the 14 day itinerary would have been made long before NCL America announced that they were going down to one ship.

I'm thinking they switched to a 14 day itinerary so that the turnaround day is always the same day of the week. I really don't know, but it makes sense to me. Too bad they can't skip a sea day instead of a port day. And NO, I'd hate to lose a sea day either. Actually too bad they can't skip Ensenada. I know they have to stop there, but after the Hawaii experience, Mexico seems weird to me.

Could someone please tell me why going from 15 to 14 days seems to be such a deal breaker? I think it would still be a great cruise. Or is it a deal breaker mainly to those who have already done this trip? Just curious....

OT -- Aloha Bennie. :D Not a Vespa day today. Maybe next week. Wish we were still cruising. Hi to Fabian.

Susan

Well it's not a deal breaker for us since we decided to go again next Christmas, but I sure would love to have that extra port day in Kona. I think you're right that it probably has to do with having the same turnaround day. Plus if you calculate an extra day off of each of the Hawaii cruises for the entire Fall/Winter season, Princess can probably fit in at least one or two more sailings which I'm sure equates to a lot of money for the company since they appear to be charging about the same price for the 14 day as they did the 15 day.

Well it's not a deal breaker for us since we decided to go again next Christmas, but I sure would love to have that extra port day in Kona. I think you're right that it probably has to do with having the same turnaround day. Plus if you calculate an extra day off of each of the Hawaii cruises for the entire Fall/Winter season, Princess can probably fit in at least one or two more sailings which I'm sure equates to a lot of money for the company since they appear to be charging about the same price for the 14 day as they did the 15 day.

Mary;

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head!

As long as the "rules" don't change and they still offer the RT to Hawaii in 2010 I will be on it even if it is 14 days. I'd just want that extra day to be on a cruise! :D

I'm sure my letter will not have an impact in what they decide to do. But if they don't hear any feedback on 14 days vs 15 then they will never even consider changing it.

Must be like what I see a lot at the grocery store. Rather than raise the price, the quantity is reduced. I love these cheese pretzel things. I swear every time I buy them there is one less in the box!

Please add us to your list. I so agree with 15 days rather than 14 days. I'm so glad we didn't miss Kona on our December 07 Diamond cruise.

*******Hi Mary. Hi Frank. Good to see you guys tonight!********

I'm with you!

Princess had announced this change months ago. I believe even before NCL announced that the POH was leaving Hawaii.

I'm thinking they switched to a 14 day itinerary so that the turnaround day is always the same day of the week. I really don't know, but it makes sense to me. Too bad they can't skip a sea day instead of a port day. And NO, I'd hate to lose a sea day either. Actually too bad they can't skip Ensenada. I know they have to stop there, but after the Hawaii experience, Mexico seems weird to me.

Could someone please tell me why going from 15 to 14 days seems to be such a deal breaker? I think it would still be a great cruise. Or is it a deal breaker mainly to those who have already done this trip? Just curious....

OT -- Aloha Bennie. :D Not a Vespa day today. Maybe next week. Wish we were still cruising. Hi to Fabian.

Susan

I haven't seen a Vespa day around here since prior to our cruise.

Say hi to Paul for me too.

I also won't be traveling Princess to Hawaii after that decision & we're Elite members. I suppose will have to try HAL for the first time. It was bad enough to only have 4 1/2 days in Hawaii but now only 4 ! I hope that Princess realizes their error & changed back even if it would be with a price increase.

I also won't be traveling Princess to Hawaii after that decision & we're Elite members. I suppose will have to try HAL for the first time. It was bad enough to only have 4 1/2 days in Hawaii but now only 4 ! I hope that Princess realizes their error & changed back even if it would be with a price increase.

I must agree. We had planned to do this cruise again b/c we so enjoyed the combination of sea days and port days, but 10 sea days for just 4 port days (and the port days are short as it is).... and missing Kona (where some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced is at Kealakua) ... no thanks.

From reading this thread, my guess it is more about economics and being able to squeeze in more turnarounds per year, as well as the convenience of the same turnaround days in LA. However, with the proposed changes to the PVSA ... this may all be for not anyway (Call your representatives on that one!) unless you want to spend 48 hours in Ensenada!

• 3 weeks later...
The Princess Hawaii 2008 cruise was our best cruise ever. So good, we decided it would be an annual trip, but when we tried to book onboard for 2009, we learned it was only 14 days. I don't want to miss Kona. And I'd rather have 5 days in Hawaii. SInce HAL offers a similar product (now that, thank God, they have anytime dining) it maybe bye-bye Princess for us. Too bad. I hope they make enough extra money (by squeezing in that extra turn-around per season) to compensate for the passengers they are going to lose.

[quote name='coolcat12']:D :D YES!!!! Another vote from a 15 day fan. I would book that cruise right now if the 15 day itinerary was scheduled for 2009.[/quote]

Hey Guys!!!!!!!!
Hate to miss Kona also.
May make res. 10-29-08 just to get in. Waiting to see what they come up with for 10-09.

But getting the itch. Just not the money. LOL :p

We just got back from the 15 day cruise on Diamond, and dh says he won't take Princess if they go to 14 days, so long as there are other lines that will go for 15. I prefer Princess, but------
If they don't go to Kona, what are the chances that they'll go past the lava flow? Nancy

saw that post too...looks like Princess is sticking with that 14 day itinerary for fall 2009. Dernnnn. :( I am sure to alot of readers it may seem spoiled for us to be so committed to the 15 day itinerary but that one day really does make or break the trip. Kona was great (remember how fun donscomp??!!**)

sigh........

[quote name='coolcat12']saw that post too...looks like Princess is sticking with that 14 day itinerary for fall 2009. Dernnnn. :( I am sure to alot of readers it may seem spoiled for us to be so committed to the 15 day itinerary but that one day really does make or break the trip. Kona was great (remember how fun donscomp??!!**)

sigh........[/quote]

That's a big part for sure. I like so many days at sea, of course I think I'd like a 14 day all sea cruise! But since it is going to Hawaii and I've never been there and don't know when I'd be going back 4 ports is not as nice as the six I'd go to with the Carnival cruise. I like that it is round trip from LA though (assuming PVSA doesn't rear its ugly head). Don't like that a balcony BB would be about $700 more than an aft wrap Cat 11 on Carnival. I'm sure I could add a couple extra days post Carnival cruise for that much or less. Agh....decisions...decisions.....

[quote name='coolcat12']saw that post too...looks like Princess is sticking with that 14 day itinerary for fall 2009. Dernnnn. :( I am sure to alot of readers it may seem spoiled for us to be so committed to the 15 day itinerary but that one day really does make or break the trip. Kona was great (remember how fun donscomp??!!**)

sigh........[/quote]

Yep, we sure do. Gona send you an email Jill

I'm very disappointed as well in the change to 14 days and dropping Kona, which was one of our favourite ports.

On the Hawaii itinerary, there is always a risk of missing some of the ports due to weather conditions. Our cruise on the Island Princess was fabulous. We were so fortunate to make all 5 of our ports, but the cruise right before us missed 2 out of their 5. Now with only 4 stops, the chances of missing a lot of Hawaii are that much greater.

Too bad. I dearly love Hawaii, but I do worry about risking this cruise for what could be an even less than 4-port stop.

[quote name='gargoyle999'] Don't like that a balcony BB would be about $700 more than an aft wrap Cat 11 on Carnival. I'm sure I could add a couple extra days post Carnival cruise for that much or less. Agh....decisions...decisions.....[/quote]

I never sailed on Carnival but I did have a smallish aft balcony for the Hawaii cruise and it WAS FABULOUS....
No wind, lots of privacy(even with those Doncomps below us!;) ) and sunrises on the way to Hawaii and sunsets on the way home. Heaven!

Speaking of Hawaii, Does anyone think the "Jones" act will actually change to madate a 48hr stay in a foreign port for non us flagged ships??

Bob

[COLOR=#ff0000]Future: Diamond Princess Aus to Nz 01/09[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08
[/COLOR]Constellation Europe 07/06
Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05
Summit Panama Canal 10/02
Soverign Of The Seas Alaska 09/01
RCCL Baltic 09/99
Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96
Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Archived