Altos De Chavon -- questions and answers

familycruzer

I have read through the Casa de Campo thread many times trying to pick out information about Altos de Chevan and thought it would be nice to start its own thread.

Can someone start us off by giving a few pointers on how to get there from the ship, cost, and what there is to do in the village?

They have a $7 shuttle, roundtrip from the ship and back. Altos is an interesting place, but not one where I think you could spend alot of time. There is some shopping, but pricy. We did'nt buy any thing. The shuttle makes a stop at the Marina on the way to Altos,but not on the way back. We bought coffee at the local grocery store for $2.50 a pound, then caught the next shuttle to Altos. They run at least every 1/2 hour. The coffee is good and we are Starbucks fans. There is no coffee to buy at Altos

Unless you go on an excursion, there's not a lot to do at Casa de Campo. Others have gone into town, but that seems to have problems and others have recommended not to do it.

The ride to Altos was worth the $7.

I went to Altos de Chavon on 2/19/08 on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. Waited in line almost 45 minutes just to get on a shuttle. Then the shuttle ride was about 30 mins. Shuttle was direct, did not stop at the Marina first. There were separate shuttles to the marina that day. It was $7 round trip. American dollars no problem, in fact, US $ was all I used that day. We arrived to a stone and gardens big shopping area, with a breathtaking view of the river and valley. The view was the ONLY good thing about this trip, and believe me, I try to see the glass half full! The stores were mostly souvenier shops, some cigar shops and one golf shop (there is a golf course nearby which is probably beautiful). There was a cantina (closed that day), a pizza place a pub-type place. I took 6 teenagers with me that day, telling them I didn't want to stay long. Even they were eager to leave. One hour was more than enough there. Also, there was a stench of garbage that I cannot even begin to describe. I can't say if that's an every-day problem, but I swear I am not exaggerating when I tell you it was nauseating. Anyone there on 2/18/08: please confirm.....

The wait for a shuttle back was only about 15 minutes, and again, about a 30 minute drive back to the ship. Biggest waste of time. I could've enjoyed some down time on the ship. If I ever to to DR again, I'd go to an all-inclusive for a day-pass fee, or book a ship's excursion. I did go about 4 years ago on a speed boat/snorkeling/catamaran island trip, and that was fun. Included lunch, beer/soda... but RCCL didn't offer anything like that this time.

Altos de Chavon is a contrived shopping excursion exclusively for cruisers and it honestly is a big fat waste of time. Please, do something else in the DR and have some fun.

Thank you for your honest review. I am considering using DR as a ship day because I dont want to pay $50 a piece for 4 people to use a beach. I have to wonder why a cruise line goes to a port that does not have much to offer in shore activities.

It's probably all about the $$$. Usually answers most questions. Likely an inexpensive place to "park" the ship as opposed to a "major" port that requires a substantial fee from the cruise lines. Trouble is, when consumers begin to choose another line or itinerary in order to avoid a "dud" stop, it will eventually backfire.

Archived