Will we fit in on the PG cruise?

weloveplaya

You'll love the ship and the destination, regardless of the age distribution. And any "oldsters" will look at the two of you and say, "aww, aren't they sweet!".

The age distribution is a bit of a crap shoot. There are often quite a few honeymoon couples, sometimes many people in their mid-40's, active types. But there probably will be many in their 50's and 60's as well, and beyond. You'll definitely be on the low end of that curve.

I've been on the PG for a total of 28 days so far. On only one of the 7-day trips did I see young honeymooners look like they were uncomfortable because the age skew was too old--on that trip there was a Vantage travel group, many of whom were in their 70's and 80's. You could see the few youngsters huddled together trying to make friends. That was too bad because in my experience, mixing with older people can be a great experience. I myself am in my late 50's.

It's a very active cruise, so you'll be out and about most days, in the water and on land. You may have to make your own entertainment at night, but that shouldn't be hard; there is always the Southern Cross to search for in the sky.

You know this has come up several times and we've all cussed and discussed why we like or don't like a particular ship. I will tell you that I have friends to whom I would NEVER recommend the PG; though Gretchen and I'd go back in nanosecond. So, not knowing the OP and their valid concerns here's some thoughts (some more serious than others) that express reactions I've actually seen or heard over the years...just to throw in another perspective (I'm sure Wendy and others could add other reasons the PG might not be for certain folks):

If you don't find it mildly funny when the answer to the question, "Is that 8 hours NON-STOP from LA!?!?" is "Oh Lord, I certainly hope so!"...the PG may not be for you;

If you are afraid to go into the water because "somewhere in that ocean there is a shark"...the PG may not be for you;

If you like to Salsa or Disco (does anyone still do that?)until 3 AM...the PG may not be for you;

If you don't like going to the beach because "the sand gets in everything"...the PG may not be for you;

If you have one of a variety of skin or eye conditions that make long or intense exposure to the sun dangerous...the PG may not be for you;

If you worry that your ankles only look good in 3 inch heels...the PG may not be for you;

If the sight of a 56 year old, 40 lb overweight man in a pair of knee length, red and "hurt your eyes" orange jams (you see most of us really have the good sense not to wear speedos) would turn your stomach...the PG may not be for you.

If you can not stand to perpsire/sweat...the PG (and all of the tropics for that matter) may not be for you;

If the sight of your brand new husband "eyeballing" all the attractive women (of all ages) will upset you...the PG may not be for you;

If you expect the local high school girl behind the counter at the corner store to speak and understand your particular form of English no matter where you are on the face of the earth...the PG may not be for you;

If you love the glitz, glammor and all night action of Las Vegas...the PG may not be for you;

If your first reaction when you saw Mt. McKinley for the first time was, "It's just another mountain"...the PG may not be for you;

If you think its rude for a couple next to you to carry on a conversation in another language...the PG may not be for you;

If you find yourself frequently saying about us older folks, "I wish they'd act there age!"...the PG may not be for you.

In short, WELOVPLAYA, it's your honeymoon and it's about you; not all the others on the ship. If the destination is right for the two of you, this ship and its passengers will not detract and will likely enhance the overall experience. Best wishes on your new life together.

Greg

Greg that was beautifully put. The only thing you forgot is:

If you like the belly flop and sexy leg contests at the pool, then the PG may not be for you.

The best thing for a newlywed couple is to see other couples that are in their 50's, 60's+ happy and enjoying life!! The first thing they will learn is how "young" the older people are, not how "old".

Conversely,

If you like the staff to remember what you drink, from a latte in the morning to your evening libation, the PG would be right for you.

If you like to be treated like a king or queen, the PG would be right for you.

If you prefer a slower pace from dawn 'til dusk, the PG would be right for you.

If you love the fact that your glasses will fog up everytime you go from air conditioning to outdoor, the PG would be right for you.

If you aren't used to luxury and would like a wonderful first taste, the PG would be right for you.

If you aren't interested in dressing to the nines for dinner, the PG would be right for you (business casual).

If you are interested in the local culture of French Polynesia, there is enough to see and learn about for the PG to be right for you.

Way more to list, but you might get the feel!

Cheers,

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

DH and I did the PG for an anniversary several years ago. We were in our early 30s at the time. There were several young couples honeymooning on our cruise - and several older couples honeymooning as well. There were (thankfully!) no kids on board. I think the PG would be a great honeymoon vacation. Do a pre or post cruise stay in an overwater bungalow. Then sit back and relax on the cruise while the staff spoils you and you enjoy a quiet time in the tropics. You won't feel out of place even though the average age on the cruise will be older than you. And since a honeymoon is all about you and your new husband and not exactly a time for crowds - the PG is the perfect place.

Best wishes and enjoy the PG!!

My wife and I did a B2B on the PG for our honeymoon 3 years ago. When we finally boarded the plane to fly home, we both confessed our honeymoon simply could not have been more perfect.

As another poster has previously said, your honeymoon is all about you...not the other passengers. There are so many activities whether it is scuba diving, swimming, waterskiing, kayaking, or riding a waverunner around BoraBora (a must do) that will fully take advantage of your youth.

At the same time, French Polynesia is simply the most perfect place in the world to spend those quiet moments with your new spouse. Whether it is looking out over the ocean from your cabin's balcony, an elegant dinner for two, or drinking rum and cokes on your floatee at Motu Mahana, the PG is a willing accompliace to your total relaxation.

You will find, regardless of their age, your fellow guests will be some of the most interesting people you'll ever meet. Your fellow guests define the term "class."

In all, I can think of no reason not to spend our honeymoon on the best ship in the most romantic place on earth.

Our opinions...your mileage may vary.

Jan

JanR,. glad you had a great time on the PG, I enjoyed it with my 20-something children at the time, but you are right, honeymoon is all about the couple! If you can't have a good time on this one, better check out what's wrong!

Oh my, I'm such an idiot :o ! For some reason, when I clicked on my post, I didn't see any replies....I don't think I scrolled down enough beyond the advertisement to see that people had replied to my question. So sorry about that!!

Anyhow back to the original topic I posted about....ouch! It looks like I may have sparked past issues on the message board! We're not so worried about being on the younger end of the age-range spectrum of the ship, I guess it was more of a concern that people would be looking at us thinking "look at these young 'kids' on the cruise." We enjoy mixing and mingling with people of all ages, I guess we're just hoping to possibly meet a couple or 2 who are also honeymooning and who we can share the excitement of being newlyweds with! Then again, I'm sure there will be couples on the trip who are celebrating 30 or even 40 years of marriage, and I'd love to hear stories of how they kept their marriage alive!

The other concern of mine was that after hearing the age range is typically a bit older than us, that it might not be as active or adventurous (sp?)....but Wendy, in your response you put my worries at ease by saying it is an active boat, so I think we'll be just fine!

Thank you all again for your help!!

Conversely,

If you like the staff to remember what you drink, from a latte in the morning to your evening libation, the PG would be right for you.

If you like to be treated like a king or queen, the PG would be right for you.

If you prefer a slower pace from dawn 'til dusk, the PG would be right for you.

If you love the fact that your glasses will fog up everytime you go from air conditioning to outdoor, the PG would be right for you.

If you aren't used to luxury and would like a wonderful first taste, the PG would be right for you.

If you aren't interested in dressing to the nines for dinner, the PG would be right for you (business casual).

If you are interested in the local culture of French Polynesia, there is enough to see and learn about for the PG to be right for you.

Way more to list, but you might get the feel!

Cheers,

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

PS. Fore67....

Check

Check

Check

Check

Check

Check

...and Check!

Looks like the PG would be perfect for us...right up our alley for a perfect honeymoon!

Check

I have made a composite "packing list" that I will gladly email you if interested pretaining to doing a 7 to 10 day cruise aboard the Paul Gauguin.

If interested please send me an email to bastian20@hotmail.com

Put "packing list" in the title so I know it is you.

If anyone else is interested please feel free to send me your email.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe (Eastern Caribbean)

02/15/03 Regent Paul Gauguin ( Tahiti)

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) (Western Caribbean)

11/12/04 Regent Mariner (Mexican Riviera)

02/15/05 Regent Diamond (Southern Caribbean)

12/27/05 Regent Voyager (FLL to LAX Panama Canal)

01/09/07 Regent Mariner (Segment #1 Amazon River)

12/03/07 Regent Mariner (Auckland NZ to LAX)

03/11/09 Regent Navigator (Western Caribbean)

Thanks weloveplaya!

I didn't have a lot of money when I first got married, but if I had the opportunity and the time for my next honeymoon, I would second the comment made earlier.

Enjoy the cruise and all it has to offer and then. . . take in another week on the island of your choice (mine would be Moorea) and stay in an over-the-water bungalow and simply revel in each others company before going back to your normal lives.

Just a thought!

All the best,

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

JimB-

Thank you, I'm going to take you up on your offer...I just sent you an email requesting the packing list. Thanks ;)

Mike-

Thats exactly what we're trying to do...figure out a way to afford to do a 10 day cruise, and then an on-land stay in Moorea for a few days. Sounds absolutely lovely! Thank you for your advice!

We are booked in July. I am 32 and my friend will be turning 45 on our trip. I was a little concerned before I started reading the boards. We are used to the young party crowds of the Caribbean. We figured it would be different on the PG. We are really excited, I do like the night life but this will be a once in a lifetime trip for me so I am going to enjoy all the pampering and relaxation for a change. Him and I tend to create our own parties where ever we go and whomever we are with. We are both really excited about meeting new people. We had an experience on our first cruise when I was only 27, where we were the youngest at our dinner table by over 25 years! We had the best time with them! We still keep in touch with 2 of them.

Have a great time on your trip and let us know all about it when you get back!

Archived