Western or Southern Caribbean?

ssatterly

We went on the Infinity 2 years ago to the Southern and last year on Royal Caribbean to the Western. Personally, we liked the Southern trip far batter. We went in Feb. for both trips and it was warmer in the South. We also liked the ports better. We found the Mexican ports to be dirty. Perhaps if you go to an all inclusive resort in the Western it would be nice. But we went to Cozumel, Progreso, and Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman was fairly nice but the towns in Cozumel and Progreso were not. Just our opinion.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;19;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Constellation!

While I enjoyed both the Western and the Southern (have never been on a BAD cruise), the Mexican stops on the Western itinerary were so blistering hot and humid when we were there (May 2002) that I don't know that I'd want to repeat that intinerary. I just got off of Golden Princess doing the Southern Carib. Explorer itinerary and enjoyed most of it, though I will admit not love for Isla Margarita.

[B]Golden Princess 5/2004 (Southern)[/B]
[B]Golden Princess 3/2003(Eastern)[/B]
[B]Grand Princess 5/2002 (Western)[/B]
[B]Grand Princess 5/1999 (Eastern)[/B]

We've done the Western twice and the southern 5 times. However, for kids, I think the western is better because there seems to be many more excursions that cover all age groups. For adults, I would go with the southern.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I
'92 NCL/Westward
'96 NCL/Seaward
'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas
'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas
'01 Princess/Ocean Princess
'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas
'03 Princess/Sea Princess
'03 Princess/Sea Princess
'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

• 1 month later...
I would have to vote for the Southern Carib. More choices of ports. Less ships in port vs Western were you are competing with anywhere from 2-5 different ships in Cozumel.
I stayed in Cozumel for a week, at the el Ceiba and my oceanfront view was all the different ships that came in every day. Never got to see a sunset from my balcony.
Cost to Western is cheaper but you get what you pay for.
If the kids have never been on a cruise, they will not have anything to compare with. Also, if they join in with the kids camp, you can't go wrong.
Have a good time

:) Have cruise the western and southern itineraries quite a number of times. Prefer the southern - fewer ships and more ports.

BUT since you mentioned kids, they would probably enjoy the western as their are more things for them to on that itinerary than on a southern one. Southern itineraries are more for walking and sightseeing.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just one persons opinion: the Southern Caribbean is the best. Have been on 4 Southern and all have been great. Our last one was Western and not the greatest.
As far as the kids are concerned: most ships have kid programs on board. Not everything has to be catered to kids. As a child on trips with my parents I learned to appreciate many things of interest and as I remember mostly adult stuff. We traveled a lot from my age of 7 and up. The traveling was a wonderful education that you can't get in the schools.
Take the cruise that you and your mom will enjoy as you might not get another chance to travel with your mom. For that matter it might be the only chance for the kids to travel with grandma. Enjoy the time together.
Carol

Archived