Do you have to lock your luggage?

sweetkitty19

From reading the carnival web site it looks like you can carry on your own luggage. Is this ok to do? Also, if you carry on your own luggage and take it to your room do you still have to have a lock on it? Our room is TBA still because it's a guaranteed stateroom. Do you think I should have any problems if we carry our luggage on? Thanks.

Do you think I should have any problems if we carry our luggage on?

Only if you board and your cabin isn't ready, then you get to lug it around with you. But, I've seen many people on the lido w/luggage.

As for locking it - you know we've never locked ours, getting on or off, maybe it's a sense of false security or stupidity, I don't know, but we've never had a problem.

Only problem I can see in carrying on your own luggage is to make sure the size of your luggage can fit through the boarding screeners which are the same size as the screeners at airports for carry-on luggage.

If your luggage won't fit through the screeners, you may have a problem.

Also agree with previous poster that if you board before your cabin is ready, you will be schlepping your luggage wherever you go on ship until your cabin is cleared for entry.

Dianne

If you don't know your cabin number, see any of the porters at the pier, they will have a final manifest with your cabin # on it. Write the cabin number on your luggage tag with a sharpie and hand over the locked luggage to the porters.

Simple and painless.

I agree w/Diane. I can't imagine having such small pieces of luggage that they'd all fit in the x-ray machine for carry-ons. If you can do that, good for you.

The lines suggest that you lock all luggage before handing over to the porters at the pier. They are not Carnival employees, but work for the local port authority.

Any reason you don't want to check your luggage? Just curious.:)

For us it depends on the length of the cruise. On 4 or 5 day cruise we carry our luggage on. Since we normally only come with carry ons. On our longer cruises we have check our luggage. And carry on anything that was "VERY" important to us. Plus we have never lock our bags up and it hasn't been a problem for us.

We have never had a problem with getting to our rooms before it was ready. So that has worked out that we didn't have to carry our bags to Lido. If you do get on the ship before the room is ready. Just make sure what ever you have with you. You can carry or pull up stairs. Because the 1st day coming on you will be "waiting" in line for an elevator forever. When ever we have try to use the elevator we end up walking up the stairs.

I agree with Kudos. We've never locked our luggage and have not had a problem. We carry on anything valuable, cameras, meds, etc.

I too just go to my cabin and drop off my carry on. The fire doors are not locked. Be aware though, that the rooms are wide open until around 1:30 so anyone could walk in.

As for not checking luggage with the porters, as others have said, as long as it's a small carry on that fits through the x-ray machine it would be fine.

From reading the carnival web site it looks like you can carry on your own luggage. Is this ok to do? Also, if you carry on your own luggage and take it to your room do you still have to have a lock on it? Our room is TBA still because it's a guaranteed stateroom. Do you think I should have any problems if we carry our luggage on? Thanks.

We also put the plastic zip ties on our bags. If we check them, then it is obvious if someone has opened them. It also keeps the zipper closed, so your undies don't accidently escape.

So they wouldn't refuse to bring your luggage on the ship if it wasn't locked then, right?

No, not at all. We did not lock our luggage on either of our 2 previous cruises, but I am going to lock them with zip ties this time. Of course, that's also what I thought last cruise ~ had the zip ties with me and never got around to putting them on. :rolleyes:

Archived