Royal Caribbean-- lousy air route

Bond-JaneBond

Because I only needed one-way air tickets, I bought ours through Royal Caribbean/Travelocity with our cruise. Even though there are direct daily flights from my large city to the port city, I was sent an itinerary that would require me to change planes in LAX and lengthen my tiring day by 6 hours! I complained bitterly, but they weren't too sympathetic. The cruise lines and TA's get discounts by filling up cattle cars in major coast cities to their ports, so it didn't matter if they caused me a huge hassle. I found on-sale 1-way fares on a website for a lot cheaper and with less hassle, and canceled my cruise air for a fee. I will request a refund of that fee from RCCL upon my return, although I'm sure they'll give me more grief. Never again will I buy cruise air.

Sorry for your experience, but don't hold your breath that RCCL and especially Travelocity will refund your fee. You booked your air with them, then cancelled. That is the same as the airlines. They charge a fee to cancel, RCCL charged you the fee. Cruise air a lot of times has multiple connections, flying into weird airports, etc. The non-stops are not generally in the pool for cruise air. Cruise lines generally get consolidator fares, which is almost like buying from Priceline. The price may be right, but it may take you two days to get there.

We have all learned the lesson the hard way.

I found on-sale 1-way fares on a website for a lot cheaper and with less hassle, and canceled my cruise air for a fee.

Did you try to use custom air/air deviation to choose better flights? Was the cancellation fee less than the deviation fee? I'm sorry things didn't work out better.

Have a great cruise. :)

Did you already cancel? I dont think you will get any refunds for that flight. I think you needed to cancel the flight by final payment in order to get your money back.

I would have taken the 6 hour delay and learned my lesson. But if you are cancellinng you may be out a lot of money.

Archived