Anxious about Celebrity

Fun Loving

As we near our cruise March 23 on the Millenium I have been busy reading some of these boards. I'm almost wishing I hadn't. I have always cruised on Carnival and Princess and never been disappointed. I finally talked 7 of my girlfriends into going on a cruise (5 of them have never cruised). These girls like to have fun. I'm just wondering if I made the wrong choice choosing celebrity and in particular, the Millenium. It appears that most of the activities and shows are geared towards the 45-60 age group; we are 33-46. It sounds like days at sea on the pool decks are quiet, with little activities. Is there ever any good nights in the disco? I know that a lot of a cruise is what you make it. I'm just hoping that there are some interesting activities for them to engage in. Any feedback that you would like to share is appreciated (the good, bad and ugly:)

We just got off the Millie in Jan. There were ages that varied from 20's to late 70's, and the majority were in their 40's. I think it all depends on the ship, itinerary, and length of the cruise.

I doubt you'll have any issues having fun. No, it's not Carnival, late into the night, congo lines at the pool, etc. but even I (who usually goes to bed early and rises very early) had a great time late into the evening with fellow passengers. One night I was in the bar until 4:30am!

With a small group, you will definitely have fun. Get to know some of the staff and they will treat you well. On my signature, there are many pictures of the ship, staff, artwork, etc.

Enjoy!

It's been awhile since I sailed on Celebrity but what I remember most are the pool deck activities at night. One night was a group dance lesson....fun!!!! Another night there was a Mexican buffet on deck.

I don't know if they still do these things, but I sure hope so. On RCI the pool activities were things like belly flop contest and volleyball. On the cruise this past August the activities were in your face with constant announcements. It really was a sensory overload.

I'm cruising with you. There is no such thing as a bad cruise; don't worry!:D

As we near our cruise March 23 on the Millenium I have been busy reading some of these boards. I'm almost wishing I hadn't. I have always cruised on Carnival and Princess and never been disappointed. I finally talked 7 of my girlfriends into going on a cruise (5 of them have never cruised). These girls like to have fun. I'm just wondering if I made the wrong choice choosing celebrity and in particular, the Millenium. It appears that most of the activities and shows are geared towards the 45-60 age group; we are 33-46. It sounds like days at sea on the pool decks are quiet, with little activities. Is there ever any good nights in the disco? I know that a lot of a cruise is what you make it. I'm just hoping that there are some interesting activities for them to engage in. Any feedback that you would like to share is appreciated (the good, bad and ugly:)

Hi, as you said, a cruise can be what you make it:)

I have sailed the Caribbean quite a few times and there has

been music trivia around the pool as well as "mixology events"....

actually that was fun as I was a particpant;)...there were about

6 of us I think and we each got to help make 1 drink on stage.

I don't know what pool games are offered on Carnival and Princess.

They also have ice carvings and fruit/vegetable carvings.

(usually).

Evenings...I have been to the disco before where its been

quite busy while other times not so much. You have 8 friends

going? You can make your own fun I am sure:)

I don't want to comment on the other lines because the last

Carnival cruise I took was back in 1992 and I have never sailed

Princess.

Also, I agree with Joe, I have met folks from 27 to 77 on

my sailings (along with even younger ones and more mature

ones too;) )

As for Conga Lines...Joe, I have been on X cruises where they

have had them too...sometimes on the 7 night sailings they do

have Caribbean Night out on the pool deck and lots of music,

a buffet and dancing:) It started around 11 or so and I always

had fun...(oh, I am 49 if that matters) LOL

Funloving, check out my webshots and in the March 2005

Celebrity sailing there are some photos from Caribbean night.

I hope you and your group of 8 have a wonderful time!!!

Do NOT let what you read here define your expectations!!!!

Remember that a teeny minority of cruisers visit this website. Maybe the cruisers who party late into the night aren't the types to visit message boards.

We were on Constellation for a 10-nighter last spring. My DH and I are in our mid-40s, and there were plenty of people our age and younger, although the "average" age was certainly older. But because people are older doesn't mean that they all go to bed at 10 pm.

On our sailing there was a big group of maybe 60 of all ages that all sat together on the pool deck. They danced and sang and had a great time every day, plus from their comments, it sounded like they went well into the night.

You are not going to find 500 people in the disco, but you'll probably find a core group of a couple of hundred who like to stay up late and have a good time.

Please wipe all of the concerned thoughts from your mind and go with the intention of creating your own great time.

I was on Infinity last June in Alaska. I was 34 at the time and was with a 29 year old friend. We were on the young side, as compared to most people, I think.

Now, I don't drink (although I do like to dance). We did find the disco quiet on most nights, but if there was something special happening, there were a lot more people (the sock hop was packed full!). Unfortunately my friend was seasick part of the time, and caught a cold, so she wasn't up for much dancing, otherwise I would have been on the dance floor more. Like someone already said, though - if you're with 8 people, I'm sure you can dance up a storm in the disco and still have a blast, however many other people are there!

You may also have more younger people on a Caribbean cruise (I'm assuming it's a Caribbean cruise?), whereas we were in Alaska...not sure about that.

Overall, though, I LOVED the cruise and am now hooked! My friend is also obsessed and is very excited to do her next (Celebrity) cruise in two weeks exactly with her husband!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I went on the Mille last January. There were six of us women ages 27 - 74. We all had a blast. There are tons of activities and you can do as much or as little as you wish. Just relax and have fun.:D

I've been on only 5 cruises now and the best by far was on celebrity. Good food, good service, good people...I hate to say but usually a cut above other lines like Norwegian and Carnival. I too have seen some posts about service that worried me but we are travelling on the 23rd as well and I think we (and your group) are going to have a ball. As one poster said, it ain't Carnival, with all-night raves in the disco, but who really wants that?

Hiya Fun Loving

You could also just put up brialliant posts like "you are going to love Celebrity".

LOL- Wow sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the cabin. In all due respect, while I love Celebrity, I also work hard for my Money. I Just got off Millenium last week. OrlandoD actually gave a link to my review.

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724850)

If I thought the ship was bad, or the line was heading for the outhouse, I would say RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, this is terrible. Millennium was a great time.

We were our own group. We did dance the night away.

I currently researching Alaskan Cruises for "She Who Must be obeyed" and myself. If it's any consolation every ship and every line is "going down hill" according to many reviews, and in at least 10 percent of the reviews of all

cruises someone has had an awful time.

Some people see the glass half empty-Some see it half full- Some see it half full of poison, lol.

You've Done your research, and booked what seemed fun to you, and chances are it will be a wicked good time regardless of what anyone else says.

If March twenty third begins a peak vacation period there will be plenty of people in your age group. I've cruised Princess and Celebrity is a very similar product so you will indeed "love" Celebrity.

But heck- won't a week with the girls be fun even if you were just going to Holiday Inn? You guys will have a hoot. Trust me.

John

Office of The glass must be too Big

The Zamgwar Institute

I never say a "cruise is what you make of it". I for one am getting pretty picky!

I have sailed Millenium twice- as recently as August 2007. It was great both times.

I did notice a decline in the food since 2001 and the Millenium had been drydocked prior to my cruise. Some of the staff were sent to other ships during the drydock. They never brought them back. So they were down about 30 crew members on my July sailing. Some of the assistant waiters had been promoted to waiter and some bar waiters to sommeliers. This showed in that they were very new and inexperienced to their jobs. It wasn't a problem- since they were polite and friendly.

Other than that I had just as wonderful an experience on Millenium in 07 as I did in May of 05.

Pish-posh to the ship being in bad shape! It was in great shape on my sailing- other than the bathroom tiles are looking a bit old. But I don't spend much time in there!

Millenium looks brand new otherwise. And since the drydock in July of 2007- it was smooth sailing- like glass.

My car is the same age as the Millie....HMMMM.....maybe I should replace it. :rolleyes:

I'm not worried one bit about this ship and I did a lot of research. If there aren't announcements all day I'll be a happy cruiser! :D

Here's a link to the review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38725

I think Sea Like an Eagle wants you to read the thread by the reviewer which does not discuss the pods at all. This poster is all over the board today trying to stir up Pod problem discussions. There are stickies about those and the rules of the board are that those mechanical issues be discussed there.

You are not going to find 500 people in the disco, but you'll probably find a core group of a couple of hundred who like to stay up late and have a good time.

In two cruises on Celebrity (total of 20 days), I never saw close to a hundred people, let alone a couple of hundred people in the disco. In all fairness, I didn't go every night, and I rarely went earlier than 11:00, but the times I went there, there were usually around thirty people. Sometimes even fewer...

Now for what it's worth, those thirty people seemed to be having a very good time...

We just returned from a cruise on the Mercury and there were plenty of party animals who loved to have a good time.

It is a lovely ship with lots of activities for all ages and interests. Food was superb and so was cleanliness.

There were all ages on board and it did seem they tried to match you up according to ages for dinner. You could request tables for 2, 4, 6 or 8. We had one for 8 and had great tablemates. Half of them sure liked to party.

We loved the cruise and have been on 28 cruises. The Mercury was one of the nicest.

Archived