Family Staterooms - what do you know?

What is the best way to get one of these? Do you have to do it on the first day the cruises are made available? It seems that which ever cruise I check online there are never any available on the website. Has anyone ever secured one of these rooms? How'd you do it? I know that on the Voyager back in 2005 there was a family of just 4 in one across the hall from us. We only have four people usually, but if it requires more, I'm sure It wouldn't be so hard to convince more people to go with us. When I try to plug in more than 4 on the website it tells me that there is a max of 4 to a stateroom. Please share what you know. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Because the family rooms require a minimum of 5 people to book, you can't book them on the website. You have to call RCCL directly or go through a Travel Agent to book them.

They won't show up as available on the website due to the booking minimums.

Because the family rooms require a minimum of 5 people to book, you can't book them on the website. You have to call RCCL directly or go through a Travel Agent to book them.

They won't show up as available on the website due to the booking minimums.

I have to disagree with that.

For our November Enchantment cruise we originally had an OS booked for 3 of us. About a week before the cruise I was looking for a price drop and saw that the RFS was available - and showing on the RCL website. I immediately called our TA and when RCCL wouldn't give her the rooom, she called C&A and they said "They saw it available and asked for it. The 3 of them can have the room."

However, I've never seen the RFS showing on the website for any of our other 10 cruises, at any time, so I'm assuming this is a very infrequent occurence.

We just got off Liberty of the Seas yesterday and we had the Family Promenade stateroom. There were only 4 of us in it and it was really great! We did see it on the website about 6 weeks prior to our sailing date and called our TA to switch to it. Most of the time they don't show up online and require 5-6 people, but we were told that if they don't sell all of them by a certain time they will open them up to groups less than 5 and that's how we got it. I think it would be a bit hard with 6 people and only 1 bathroom. The room itself is great - a queen bed, full size pull out sofa, separate bunk room with 2 bunks, TONS of closets including a huge walk-in closet, and the bathroom has a bathtub instead of a shower stall, 2 promenade windows with a great view of the stage over the Royal Promenade. The only time we heard any noise from below was during the 2 parades and the 70s party...nothing too late and the kids loved watching it from the cabin. If you have any specific questions please ask!

I decided in early February to cruise with the kids this summer on Explorer (NE & Canada). Our sail date is 7/3. When I went online, it showed one FO stateroom available. I have a party of 4, and it came up available! This is the first time that has ever happened to me online. I immediately called my TA and she was out. So as not to lose it, I called RCCL and booked it myself then transfered the reservation to my TA. I think people hold them just in case, then when they are released they are available only until someone snatches them up. Now I am going to have to ask my TA how the Family rooms normally book!

Wow. Lucky. We were told by RC agent that we couldn't book the family suite for less than 5 people even though it was available. There are 4 of us and we said we'd be happy to pay for 5 to get the suite, and still no go! We couldn't quite believe it but figured they were truly trying to accomodate 3-kid families. Now I'm not so sure!

I have to disagree with that.

For our November Enchantment cruise we originally had an OS booked for 3 of us. About a week before the cruise I was looking for a price drop and saw that the RFS was available - and showing on the RCL website. I immediately called our TA and when RCCL wouldn't give her the rooom, she called C&A and they said "They saw it available and asked for it. The 3 of them can have the room."

However, I've never seen the RFS showing on the website for any of our other 10 cruises, at any time, so I'm assuming this is a very infrequent occurence.

Sometimes, rarely, they will remove the minimum booking requirements, usually close to sailing (as in your case) or if a cruise isn't selling well.

We just got off Liberty of the Seas yesterday and we had the Family Promenade stateroom. There were only 4 of us in it and it was really great! . I think it would be a bit hard with 6 people and only 1 bathroom. The room itself is great - a queen bed, full size pull out sofa, separate bunk room with 2 bunks, TONS of closets including a huge walk-in closet, and the bathroom has a bathtub instead of a shower stall, 2 promenade windows with a great view of the stage over the Royal Promenade. quote]

Question....did the family promenade cost more or less than 2 promenade cabins? Just curious...right now we have a promenade and a balcony booked, but I like the idea of one large cabin! Thanks!

Wow. Lucky. We were told by RC agent that we couldn't book the family suite for less than 5 people even though it was available. There are 4 of us and we said we'd be happy to pay for 5 to get the suite, and still no go! We couldn't quite believe it but figured they were truly trying to accomodate 3-kid families. Now I'm not so sure!
e

We did not book the Family Suite, but a family oceanview stateroom. They have added many newer types of "Family sized rooms". Inside, promanade, oceanview, and of course, the suites.

We had a Family Oceanview on the Explorer for our Canada cruise. I think that we booked about 3 months prior to sailing and there were only 4 of us. At the time, another FO was available too and it showed up on the website. I guess that at a certain time, they do release these cabins to book with less than 4. Personally, I think that our cabin was best suited for 4. It was great for us, but it would have been a little tight with 5, IMO. If you want to know more about the room, I talk about it in my review, available in my signature.

Great question! Our family of six want to cruise the eastern

Mediterranean sometime in the next year or two, and I've looked for pricing on the RFS all over the internet. Now I know I must call them to find out.

Question....did the family promenade cost more or less than 2 promenade cabins? Just curious...right now we have a promenade and a balcony booked, but I like the idea of one large cabin! Thanks!

We paid the normal fare for the first 2 and the 3rd/4th passenger rates for the kids, so for us it was less expensive than 2 separate promenade cabins. $999 & $699 was what we ended up paying for the 2/23 sailing. It was cabin 7307 on Liberty - it's the cabin directly above the cow suite on deck 6 over Ben & Jerry's on the promenade...almost dead center of the promenade so the views were great!

What is the "cow suite"?

It's not really a suite, it's the promenade cabin on deck 6 directly over the Ben & Jerry's which has 2 large cow statues over their sign down on the promenade. The view from this cabin is slightly obstruced by the, ummm, 'behinds" of these cows. They've decorated the cabin with a black & white cow motif throughout and those that stay there get 1 free Ben & Jerry's treat per person each day of the cruise & congierge lounge access. Somewhere on these boards I saw photos of the cabin - very cute!

We had a family ocean view on Jewel of the Seas and there were only 3 of us. I just called and asked if we could get one and they said "sure... no problem at all". Don't know how typical this is but that was our experience.

Really. That is interesting. How did the pricing compair to the other Oceanviews?

As I recall the pricing was only slightly higher (I am thinkking it was only about $50). Plus they only charged for 3 people and not the full room capacity. It was a deal we could not turn down. We would have taken the cruise anyways but I asked on a whim and they gave it to us. The extra floorspace was wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

Deb

Glad you liked that FamProm cabin. I was so glad to see your post...we too have the same room you had on Liberty. We sail 4/5/08.

I was glad to see that there are 2 bunks...there is nowhere on the site that will show you a pic of that cabin. Do you happen to have any pictures you could post?

Just an FYI for everyone, we booked this cabin for 4 in AUGUST of 2007 and I did it on the RCI website. Haven't seen a price drop :( We did Mariner 2 years ago and did the prom/balc cabins and loved it. I'm not sure how we're going to like sharing our bathroom with 2 teenagers. We loved having them right across the hallway from us but we were DYING to try out this huge FamProm cabin.

Anyone have any comments about it?

Steph

What is the best way to get one of these? Do you have to do it on the first day the cruises are made available? It seems that which ever cruise I check online there are never any available on the website. Has anyone ever secured one of these rooms? How'd you do it? I know that on the Voyager back in 2005 there was a family of just 4 in one across the hall from us. We only have four people usually, but if it requires more, I'm sure It wouldn't be so hard to convince more people to go with us. When I try to plug in more than 4 on the website it tells me that there is a max of 4 to a stateroom. Please share what you know. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
I was in the RFS on the Freedom of the Seas in June 2007 (there were six of us). The five family suites (4 RFS and the Presidential Suite) sold out during the first hour of the first day that the cabins were made available for booking.

That said, the people in the Presidential Suite booked it after final payments were due. So whoever booked it on May 6, 2006 canceled and this other family got it.

Also, the cruise was selling so well that RCI had to start limiting bookings to two per cabin, including a FO (Family Ocean View) that was available for booking online (but you could only book it for two people).

Archived