Advice on what cruise to take?

redrobin

Looking for a cruise for me and DH in late November, early December, 10-14 days longs. Other than that, am very flexible as to the itinerary and cruise line. To date, have taken three 7-day cruises (Alaska on Sapphire, W. Caribbean on Star, E. Caribbean on Celebrity Millennium). Enjoyed each one.

Here's what I'm considering:

Hawaii - Golden Princess - 14-day RT Los Angeles

Hawaii - HA Zaandam - 15-day RT San Diego

South Pacific - Tahitian Princess - 10-day RT Papeete

Australia/New Zealand - Celebrity Millennium - 14-day Auckland/Sydney

W. Mediterranean - Celebrity Century - 10-day RT Barcelona

S. America & Canal - Celebrity Infinity - 14-day Ft. Lauderdale - Valparaiso

I know everyone has different preferences, but would appreciate any suggestions on things to consider when picking the itinerary. For instance, I know the Tahitian Princess is smaller than ships I've been on, so I may or may not like that. Likewise, with Hawaii, the Zaandam stops at Kona, while Princess does not. Was also wondering how I'd feel having so many sea days with the Hawaii itinerary... For those who've done these itineraries, any advice or things to think about? Thanks!!

You might consider the next cruise I'm going to take on Princess. It's a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise from San Francisco to Acapulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos and San Francisco. It's on the Star Princess. There are five sea days which I'm looking forward to and the ports are a real bonus for me.

I think these are all great cruises, and really, it does depend on what you want to do - sun and beaches, historical visits etc.

We did the Hawai RT cruise this October and we loved it. I was a bit apprehensive about all the sea days but we LOVED it... we could get completely relaxed before getting to the islands, and same thing on the way back before getting home. I would probably pick the Golden as there is more to do on the ship for those sea days, and the Anytime Dining for Hawaii is better suited as you will have long days in port.

The Mediterranean may be a good option price-wise as it's not the high season. But don't expect beach weather - it will be cool, but pleasant weather for visiting historical cities.

If you're looking for beaches and breathtaking scenery and a romantic getaway, the South Pacific on the Tahitian would be great.

I hear Australia/NZ is amazing, but a long flight! If you're up for it!

As for the S. America & Canal on the Infinity, sounds like a great compromise - you get a bit of the Caribbean, the Canal and a few stops in S America!

I think all are great, really depends on what you want to see and do, and budget!

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the replies! On my Alaska and Caribbean cruises, it appeared the passengers were predominately from the US. Just curious what the typical passenger make-up is for cruises in Europe, Tahiti, South America, and Australia/NZ.

Marie-Claude, what was your favorite island in Hawaii, and any excursions you really enjoyed? Also, for the sea days on that itinerary, does Princess have any different activities not found on shorter cruises, or just additional art auctions, bingo games.....?

Marie-Claude, what was your favorite island in Hawaii, and any excursions you really enjoyed? Also, for the sea days on that itinerary, does Princess have any different activities not found on shorter cruises, or just additional art auctions, bingo games.....?

It's really hard to say which I liked best - each had its own appeal. We went to Kona, Hilo, Lahaine (Maui) and Oahu. We rented cars everywhere except for Maui, and ended up doing very different things everywhere.

The sea days were great! I wouldn't say they had different activities than usual, but every was filled with a kinds of different things. They also had lectures on hawaian culture and a polynesian band and dancers doing a different show every day in the afternoon poolside, and at night in the atrium

This was our first RCL cruise and we really enjoyed it!!

MC

Go to Tahiti !

Everything I have read said it is the best and with the Tahitian Princess return after this fall questionable - go now.

Caribbean is always a risk in the fall, but by December not so much so.

I agree, if those are your choices, I would definitely do the Tahiti Cruise. It might be your last chance unless things change in the future. The other sailing will be around and you can do them at a later date, but Tahiti could possibly be gone for some time on Princess. Grab it while you can!

We did the 15 day cruise to Hawaii over Christmas and New Years this year. This fall it will become a 14 day cruise as they are dropping Kona as a stop and a lot of people are unhappy about that; both about Kona and the 14 day aspect. It is a lovely trip but you have to reconcile yourself to the fact that it’s a long way to go for only 4 days in the Islands; I am not saying that is bad it is just that if you like to be in a port everyday then this cruise is not for you. If on the other hand you want to relax, not be bothered by cel phone calls (or someone else’s), read, enjoy the onboard activities, watch the beautiful blue Pacific, have afternoon naps; then get your TA on the phone tomorrow bright and early.

Archived