Booked for Panama Canal and worried about the snow.

zaban3

Only one year and three months to a cruise to the Panama Canal aboard the Coral Princess. Just checked cruise personalizer and our reservations were listed. I have not yet memorized my booking number. I guess I will have some time. We will be leaving on Dec. 24, 2005 and TA said we would be okay flying in the morning of the cruise. As a Minnesotan "snow" is always a consideration (for at least half the year). Does cruise insurance cover canceled flights? On one hand it sounds easier just going from the airport to the pier versus lugging everying to a hotel for the night. There will be five of us going. Any suggestions?

I personally would NEVER take that chance. No matter what part of the country you live in, winter weather anywhere in the U.S. can cause aircraft to be diverted and unavailable for your flight. Even if insurance covered your trip (and it would depend on what type of insurance you had), your vacation and holiday would be ruined. Find a hotel that offers free transport from the airport to hotel and then the next morning from the hotel to port. Does that cruise still sail from FLL (we took it last April). Two hotel choices are the Embassy Suites 17th Street and Amerisuites Convention Center. Both are close to the port and have free transportation. My guess, but I don't think most experienced travelers would take that risk on a cruise they are waiting 18 months to take. I don't like your TA's advice.

If at all possible, please consider flying in the day before. You don't want your much anticipated cruise to sail without you--even if you do have insurance.

So many things can pop up and delay your flights--you could be on the same plane as Cat Stevens and get re-routed to Bangor, you could be in the same airport where someone's flashlight battery explodes and causes the terminal to be evacuated, thus delaying your flight, your plane could get stuck in traffic on the runway and take forever to crawl to the gate (happened to us, but we made it to the ship on time--barely).

Good luck and have fun anticipating your cruise!

I totally agree, and NOT with your TA. Anytime you fly during the winter months, or almost any months anymore, it is best to arrive the day or evening prior to boarding. Otherwise you will be a nervous wreck wondering if you will be delayed or miss the ship. It just is not worth it when there are places like PriceLine and Hotwire to find cheaper hotel rooms if money is a consideration.

If you plan on booking your flights through Princess, remember, just because your flights were booked through them does not necessarily mean they will hold the ship if your flight is delayed. Book the flights yourself, they will be less expensive anyway, and then get a hotel room for the pre-night stay.

I agree with all of the above. Please go a day ahead. Besides weather problems there is also mechanical problems on these planes. You sure do not want the stress of trying to make your cruise before you get on the cruise. Highly recommend going the day before.

Marilyn

We had always flown on the day of the cruise. One time we were returning from LA to Canada after our cruise. The plane had landed from Canada and was picking passengers up for the return trip. We waited 3 hrs on the hot plane before they decided they could not repair the engine. We all had to reschedule flights out. We didn't leave until the next day. All I

could say "Thank God" it was not our flight to the cruise. After that we have flown the day before. We also live where they have cancelled flights and even closed the airport due to snow. Why take the chance that your flight will be cancelled or delayed. When you are going it will be the busyness day of the year.

You can use Priceline or Hotwire and get cheap hotel rooms. You can use taxis from airport to hotel and hotel to pier if they don't have a shuttle. We have stayed at the Marriott Marnia and taxi was only $11 and free shuttle to pier.

Honestly, with the winter everyone is predicting, I would never, ever chance that. That is way too risky!!! Actually, anytime of the year I wouldn't chance that. Too many things can go wrong - plus it's the holidays and flights always get majorly delayed! I think you definitely need to fly in a day or two earlier.

zaban3...

As a fellow Minnesotan I'm always concerned about flight delays when travelling in the winter.

Flying in early is the best advice, but even that can be an issue if we have another "halloween" snowstorm when you're supposed to be leaving.

We can never fly in early since we go on longer cruises and can't spare the extra day.

So...travel insurance is what it's all about. We use Travelex, because they cover flights. While you might still be delayed, and have to find another way to connect with the ship - perhaps meeting up at the next port - the insurance will reimburse you for any costs you incur.

Keep in mind that all sorts of things can happen...kids can get ear infections, you can hit a patch of black ice on the way to the airport, you can be delayed by de-icing..yada yada yada.

We ALWAYS take the insurance.....

I would never fly in the day of departure, unless I had no other choice. A friend arrived over Miami a couple of years ago just in time to see her ship sail without her. She'd had a long, snow delayed trip to get there. She was lucky in that the airline flew her to the first port of call and she got on then, but still cost her two extra days of accomodation waiting for the ship.

As for travel insurance, YES!

There are too many things that can interrupt or cancel a trip these days. Why take the chance on it happening to you?

Archived