Carnival's Diet Orange & Diet Coconut Cakes

Azure Moon

Search is temporarily down, so not able to see if this has been posted before.

Anyone have the recipes for Carnival's delicious diet cakes, Orange and/or Coconut?

I dreamed of the Orange cake for two years prior to our most recent cruise, don't want to wait until the next cruise to savor this heavenly treat again or it's sister Coconut cake, YUM! Wish I hadn't forgotten to get the recipes while on board:( .

Thanks in advance!,

Azure Moon

I'll have to see if I can get the recipes from Carnival.

Perhaps this is why I only saw the cakes offered once during the cruise :( .

If you see them offered, give them a try. They really are heavenly. And besides, you can get them in addition to the dessert of your choice. That's the great thing about Carnival, they let you sample as many items as you'd like. Personally, I think it's a plot to get us hooked on their culinary creations so we'll keep coming back for more :D .

A. M.

• 4 months later...

I posted the Coconut Diet Cake recipe on the following thread -http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=784408. The recipe is kind of hard to follow because there was an original recipe (mass quantity and products used to make it) and then another page with ingredients and instructions that I'm assuming is how to make it in the home (small scale and more readily available ingredients)...but I could be wrong:p .

The Orange cake recipe came a lot easier to read and understand, so maybe reading this recipe first will help with understanding how to do the Coconut Cake.

I'll post the (mass quantity, can cake mix) recipe first, then will post the (home friendly :confused: ) version.

Orange Diet Cake:

Yield 10 round cakes 1X16

Ingredients:

10 - cans Orange Diet Cake Mix

3 1/8 - QTS. Water

3 TBSP. Orange Extract

12 - ounces Roasted Sliced Almond

8 - each Fresh Oranges

20 - ounces Orange Juice

Method:

1. Combine Diet Cake Mix, Orange Extract, and the half amount of the Water in mixing bowl.

2. Beat on Low Speed for 2 minutes, using a paddle beater, add remaining Water and continue mixing on medium speed for 5 minutes.

3. Divide the batter, placing 1 pound 10-oz. in each of the 10-each greased and floured round cake pans.

Recipe continued in next post...

Orange Diet Cake: (continued)

4. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and when cooled, cut each cake to 3 layers.

Orange Diet Syrup - Used to coat cake layers with and use as garnish.

Ingredients:

Equal Sugar - 1 cup

Water - 2 cups

Orange Juice - 1/2 cup

Method:

Mix the Equal Sugar, Water, and Orange Juice in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cool.

5. Soak all layers with fresh Orange Juice with amount of Water and Equal Sugar (I'm assumming they mean the Orange Diet Syrup).

Orange Diet Icing:

6 cans Vanilla Diet Icing

1/4 - pint Warm Water

4-1/2 -EA. Veg. Margarine

1/2 -TSP. Yellow Food Color

Method of making Diet Icing:

1. Combine Diet Icing mix, water, food color, and orange extract in mixing bowl. Mix with paddle beater on low speed for 2 minutes, scrape the bowl well, and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.

2. Cut the margarine into small pieces, add to the above mixture and beat on 3rd speed until the mixture becomes smooth and fluffy.

Recipe continued in next post...

Orange Diet Cake: (continued)

6. Sandwich each layer with 5 ounces of diet orange icing. With the remaining icing, coat and rosette the cakes.

7. Place Roasted, Crushed, Sliced Almond to the lower edge sides around the cakes, cut each cake to 16 portions and garnish each rosette with fresh Orange Segment.

8. Garnish each plate with fan sliced of fresh Honey Dew, a half slice of Grape, and half 1/2 ounce of cooked Orange Diet Sauce.

On a separate page there is a recipe for the Coconut Diet Cake, but I'm wondering if it could also be the base (cake) for home-sized version of the Orange Cake as well, though it doesn't mention orange juice or extract in it. :confused:

I've never heard or seen a cake baked this way before, so I am hoping someone experienced with baking will chime in about it. It calls for low oven temp. and leaving the cake overnight in the oven.

Ingredients:

1 cup egg whites - (from approximately 8 eggs)

1 Tablespoon not/Sugar*

12 packets Splenda

1 ounce (1/4 cup) almond flour

4 ounces (1-3/4 cup) dried unsweetened ground or shredded coconut** (Though I'm thinking this would be left out if using this recipe as a base for another flavor of cake).

1 teaspoon sugar free vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.

Beat egg whites with not/Sugar, sweetner and vanilla until stiff. Fold in remaining ingredients as gently as possible. Place in preheated oven, turn off heat and bake overnight. (NOTE: ovens vary in the rate at which they lose heat - or whether you peek - so, if it comes out too moist, give it more time at no more than 300 degrees Farenheit and next time, allow it to bake for a few minutes before turning off the oven.) If you're in a hurry, bake at 300 degrees Farenheit until firm. Keep cake under refrigeration (it doesn't have any sugar to protect it from spoiling.)

*not/Sugar (an Expert Foods product) is available from The Low Carb Connoisseur website. Cake will work without this ingredient, but will not rise as well or have as rich a texture.

**Ground or shredded unsweetened coconut can usually be found in health and specialty stores (don't use the sweetened stuff found in the grocery baking aisles!) If you cannot locate it, increase the almond flour to compensate and use 1 teaspoon coconut extract instead.

Makes 16 servings. 2.4 grams of carbohydrate per serving.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll have to see if I can get the recipes from Carnival.

Perhaps this is why I only saw the cakes offered once during the cruise :( .

If you see them offered, give them a try. They really are heavenly. And besides, you can get them in addition to the dessert of your choice. That's the great thing about Carnival, they let you sample as many items as you'd like. Personally, I think it's a plot to get us hooked on their culinary creations so we'll keep coming back for more :D .

A. M.

Yes, I believe those diet cakes are available as an option every night. You can certainly ask for them and I am sure you would get them. I discovered them late and thought, "I've been missing out of them all this time". Love them. Especially the orange......no the coconut....no, BOTH

Yes, I believe those diet cakes are available as an option every night. You can certainly ask for them and I am sure you would get them. I discovered them late and thought, "I've been missing out of them all this time". Love them. Especially the orange......no the coconut....no, BOTH

:D :D ROFLOL!:D :D

Archived