Turtle Farm Need Recommendations

rsjc

Anyone have recommendations on the best affordable way for a family of five(two of which are 5) to do the Turtle Farm. The only excursion the ship offers is the Turtle Farm combined with Sting Ray City. We’ve done Sting Ray City several times in the past and thought it would be a waste at this point for the two 5 year olds. Has anyone just grabbed a cab over there and back? If so what did that cost. I also can’t find anything online stating admission to the Turtle Farm. We could as an option also tie a beach stop into the trip as well. We leave on 03/16/08

And just so you know, the Turtle farm is just that, a farm. The primary function of the farm is to raise turtles as a product for human consumption.

Personally, I seen nothing wrong with raising trutles as a meat product, but some people do seem to object, so I think it is best to know about it before going there.

And just so you know, the Turtle farm is just that, a farm. The primary function of the farm is to raise turtles as a product for human consumption.

Personally, I seen nothing wrong with raising trutles as a meat product, but some people do seem to object, so I think it is best to know about it before going there.

A little too much information, I didn’t ask anything about the purpose of the Turtle Farm…. Don’t really care. I already knew that. If you would like to help us out with transportation tips please do so because that was the purpose of the post and not your personal agenda.:confused:

A little too much information, I didn’t ask anything about the purpose of the Turtle Farm…. Don’t really care. I already knew that. If you would like to help us out with transportation tips please do so because that was the purpose of the post and not your personal agenda.

What? Telling information is a "personal agenda"? Too bad.

Also, it's fine that you "Don't really care", but do you really need to be so rude about it?

A little too much information, I didn’t ask anything about the purpose of the Turtle Farm…. Don’t really care. I already knew that. If you would like to help us out with transportation tips please do so because that was the purpose of the post and not your personal agenda.:confused:

I don't think the previous poster had an agenda. They just wanted to inform you so that you would know in case they were to mention it while you were visiting and the kids would be upset. KWIM. Personally, that would make me reconsider taking my kids there, so I appreciate the info, but that is just me.

What? Telling information is a "personal agenda"? Too bad.

Also, it's fine that you "Don't really care", but do you really need to be so rude about it?

Your opinion is fine and I don’t have a problem with it as long as it stays on topic for the post. I just get tired of post hijackers posting their personal opinion to get a point across. If you want to start a post about the Turtle Farm’s main purpose being for human consumption that’s fine, this post was for my family looking for ideas for an affordable way to do the Turtle Farm. That’s what this forum/board is for, helping each other out. I think my twin 5 year old boys would love to see them. As I posted I’m looking to hopefully hear from fellow cruisers that have done this on their own and help us find a safe and affordable way to do it as well. Sorry if you thought and or think I’m rude.

Thanks Robbie J;)

• 2 weeks later...
Your opinion is fine and I don’t have a problem with it as long as it stays on topic for the post. I just get tired of post hijackers posting their personal opinion to get a point across. If you want to start a post about the Turtle Farm’s main purpose being for human consumption that’s fine, this post was for my family looking for ideas for an affordable way to do the Turtle Farm. That’s what this forum/board is for, helping each other out. I think my twin 5 year old boys would love to see them. As I posted I’m looking to hopefully hear from fellow cruisers that have done this on their own and help us find a safe and affordable way to do it as well. Sorry if you thought and or think I’m rude.

Thanks Robbie J;)

You need to calm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to do ONLY the Turtle Farm you should try to arrange transportation before you get there OR find out more about the city bus. Sorry I can't help you with either of those, but I can tell you our experience with the taxis. We could NOT get a taxi to just take us to the Turtle Farm. They have their set agenda - sight seeing with turtle farm OR the beach. We walked away from the port and found what we thought was a driver who would take us just to the Turtle Farm. I guess he did do that, but he had another couple who were doing the city tour. He dropped us off at the Turtle Farm and said he would be back in 1/2 hour. That was perfect - we were going to the beach after that. BUT ... when he got back he took the other couple around the Turtle Farm for waht seemed like FOREVER (we'd been there for an hour and that was MORE THAN ENOUGH),

• 1 month later...

just curious.

we last went to the turtle farm about 4 years ago, it was ONLY a large souveneer shop & a few tanks of turtles. this was just after the BIG hurricane wiped out a lot of stuff on the Island..

soooooo looking at the website it is fixed up? that hardly looks like the same place!

has anyone gone throught he entire place? or just the turtle farm part?

when we were last there, the taxi only gave us 30 minutes there & even with only the few tanks there it was NOT enough time , especially with the long lines at the gift shop.

( & we insisted our taxi ONLY take us to turtle farm & Hell, could not care less about a city tour,, even then half the taxi time was driving! think we will rent a car next time)

I personally thought that Bruce-r's post would be helpful to a parent bringing their children. If I was bringing kids, I'd want to know that it's a farm, so I could be ready to handle my kids' questions (and/or trauma). Personally, I have no problem with the concept, but I didn't get the impression that Bruce-r was trying to impose any agenda, just giving you an FYI so that you wouldn't be "surprised" when that came out. That was my take on it, anyways.

As for recommendations, I think I've seen tours for Boatswain's beach which includes the farm, but that includes more stuff there that you get admission to (and you pay for it). There's a "Wet" Package and a "Dry" Package - the wet package allows you to snorkel in a tank near some sharks (separated by glass). Personally, if I had at least 4, and all I wanted was the basic Turtle Farm package, I'd take a cab, pay my $18 a person entrance fee, and be done with it. But that's just me.

Hope this helps. If I find out more when I'm there in 2 weeks, I'll post back to this thread. Good luck rsjc!

Admission to the Turtle Farm and not the entire Boatswain's Beach is $18 pp, but I don't know about children. We were there last week, but had a car so can't comment on transportation either.

I personally thought that Bruce-r's post would be helpful to a parent bringing their children. If I was bringing kids, I'd want to know that it's a farm, so I could be ready to handle my kids' questions (and/or trauma). Personally, I have no problem with the concept, but I didn't get the impression that Bruce-r was trying to impose any agenda, just giving you an FYI so that you wouldn't be "surprised" when that came out. That was my take on it, anyways.

That was my intent. Thanks for "getting it".

OMG! Maybe I am just really slow, but I did not know they were raising the turtles to EAT! :eek: I really appreciate your info. as I would rather know in case they do say something to the kids, I would not want to be caught off guard. I don't think the word "farm" necessarily implies that. We went to an Iguana "farm" in Honduras and I really don't think they were for food!

OK, now I am confused. I was reading about the turtle farm and it said they were endagered and the farm was for preservation. I know some sites will say anything... will somebody who has actually been there clear this up?

Both of those points are true. Turtles are endangered. The Turtle Farm does release turtles back into the wild.

Neither of these preclude the fact that the primary purpose of the Turtle Farm is the raise turtles as a product to be consumed.

• 1 month later...

We went to Boatswains beach (the turtle farm) in March. It was awful. It is a long way from the port. The lagoon is dirty, filled with algae. The fish that were there were under a 25cent feed fish here station. It was gross. We did not have a good time. Wished we went snorkeling instead. Our cruise had a wreck and reef snorkel for $25.00pp. We would have saved money, had a better time, and would have saved me lots of time of getting the icky algae out of my hair. There are far better things to do there instead of that place.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to continue the "off-topic" but when we went last year, our guide said that only a small percentage were used for human consumption, and many were released. He also said that the ones harvested are for local consumption ONLY, they do not ship them out from the island because the fact that they are endangered. It is a local delicacy. He may have been lying to me about the "small amount" but as a huge sea-turtle lover, it did make me feel better to know that it was for local consumption only.

I would guess that the best way to go would to find a taxi willing to just take you there without all the extra touristy stuff...or look into the city bus system that I keep hearing about.

Oh and on a bright note, he said that before the last major hurricane came through, the farm was located on the beach...MANY MANY thousands of turtles escaped during this storm due to flooding...NOT to be eaten by humans! :D (hopefully they survived the storm) But that is why they moved the facility inland.

I was looking forward to visiting the turtle farm until I did a search on youtube and found many videos just like the one below. The turtles are literally just swimming over one another and are so crowded in such a small space. I can't possibly imagine that they are comfortable in this environment. (unless there is more to the videos that is just not visible?) And like other posters have mentioned, I was under the impression that the farm was used to provide some turtle meat to the local market in the hopes that this will help eliminate the need for the turtles to be hunted, but that the main focus was to help preserve the turtle population by raising and then releasing the turtles into the wild.

I know that some feel that wild animals should not be kept in captivity at all; but my feeling is that there are some animals that people would just never get to observe/experience without such facilities. However I do believe that any animals in captivity should be provided with living conditions that are as close to what they would have in the wild as possible. They should have ample space, and be well fed, well handled and not abused. The video like the one above makes me question how well these turtles are actually being handled.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have visited the farm and how you felt about their care?

I'd also like to hear from others that have used the other facilities, such as the swimming lagoons and whether or not you felt it was worth the $55.

Archived