Buying a cartouche

Coolcruise02

I have read reviews from people on excursions who say they take orders for cartouche pendants at the start of the tour and they pick them up at the end of the day.

Has anyone bought one of these and where you happy with it? How much was it?

I hate buying something before I have seen it. Do they show you samples?

We are going with Memphis Tours, NOT a ship tour.

Thanks in advance!

I ordered all of ours (Christmas gifts) before we even left home, 9 of them. Our Nile Blue Tours co-ordinator (Vicky, who made the arrangements for us although she doesn't actually work for them), emailed us all of the pictures and pricing.

I have mine on right now and actually rarely take it off.

They come in different sizes and different precious metals. Mine is gold and has a name on one side (because I am allergic to silver), the price was just over $100 without the chain, two sided would have doubled the price.

I ordered one sided silver for the grandkids and they were $20 each.

Son and DIL and hubby I ordered silver with gold letters, double sided with each of their names, one on one side, the other side the other name. The price for those was just over $110 each if memoory serves me correctly.

The single sided were one price, double the price for two names, one on each side.

My total bill came to just under $600 for the ones I ordered.

They all were thrilled with them, especially the grandkids. I bought the chains after I returned home as with kids, I wanted a special chain for them that was a bit tougher (you know how kids can get?).

As we finished our overnite tour, Hazem (our tour guide) picked them up at the store they were ordered from and distributed them while we were on the Nile Lunch cruise.

Many onboard the ship saw mine and regretted not purchasing one while we were in Egypt. Make sure to pre-order if you can and really want one as once you leave Egypt, the opportunity is gone. :(

Definitely try to purchase them while in Egypt, it makes them so much more special then ordering them when you are home. And if buying gifts, it means a lot more to those you give them to that they were purchased in that country. ;) ;)

The Cartouches purchased in egypt are very nice and can be purchased at a decent price. The problem is that it tends to be the tour guides selling them on tour coaches at inflated prices. If you have the opportunity to purchase from a recommended jewellery store in egypt, you will get them at a better price.

The Cartouches purchased in egypt are very nice and can be purchased at a decent price. The problem is that it tends to be the tour guides selling them on tour coaches at inflated prices. If you have the opportunity to purchase from a recommended jewellery store in egypt, you will get them at a better price.

Unless the store makes them themselves(most don't) you pay the store the same commission. They get them from the same central place as does your guide.

More often than not most guided tours don't allow the opportunity to buy from a store - it's the coach tours captive market that inflates the prices. No matter what you pay for them, just enjoy them and the memories that you bring back from such a remarkable country.

We found the prices through our tour guide to be very reasonable, plus we didn't waste any time having to wait around for them. $20 for a gift from Egypt for grandkids is a steal! ;)

Did you just ask Blue Nile tours for a cartouche brochure or just mention you were intrested in buying them whilst in egypt ? we think we are going to use Blue Nile for our tour in eygpt at the end of May and can't wait to buy cartouches, like you i agree cheap great gifts for folks at home !

Hello...

I just answered another question about the Mena House and I'd like to note that you can buy a lovely cartouche in their jewelry store and pick it up in six hours or so after it's personalized. The prices were as reasonable as many I saw elsewhere and it was very convenient.

murphysmum;)

Did you just ask Blue Nile tours for a cartouche brochure or just mention you were intrested in buying them whilst in egypt ? we think we are going to use Blue Nile for our tour in eygpt at the end of May and can't wait to buy cartouches, like you i agree cheap great gifts for folks at home !

Hazem, (Nile Blue Tours) made sure we all got an email with pictures and pricing of the Cartouches long before we left for Europe. We pre-ordered them several weeks before leaving for Rome. Then they were handed out on our Nile River Cruise after Hazem and his wife picked them up. We did not have to pay for them until we received them. Each one came in it's own little velvet style bag with the Hieroglyphic Alphabet on each little bag.

They have been the highlight of gifts for our family. Each grandchild attends the same school, and all the kids are always asking them why they all wear the same necklace. Each one then explains that they aren't all the same but each has thier name in Hieroglyphics on them. And they enjoy telling all the other kids exactly where grandma got them. :) Gotta love those little ones.

Of all the things I purchased on this exciting trip, the cartouches have to be the most memorable keepsake.

Hi again Toto2kansas, just received cartouche brochure from Hazem and i have to say i was very dissapointed with the pictures.I have looked at lots of web sites with cartouches, nilestone.com etc and the cartouches look far superior, is this just the pictures? could you please confirm the quaility of your cartouches ordered through nileblue tours. We would much prefer to buy them whilst in Egypt to make them a special memory of our holiday.Sorry to drive you mad about this, just want to get it right. Thanks again, wedcruise.

Hi again Toto2kansas, just received cartouche brochure from Hazem and i have to say i was very dissapointed with the pictures.I have looked at lots of web sites with cartouches, nilestone.com etc and the cartouches look far superior, is this just the pictures? could you please confirm the quaility of your cartouches ordered through nileblue tours. We would much prefer to buy them whilst in Egypt to make them a special memory of our holiday.Sorry to drive you mad about this, just want to get it right. Thanks again, wedcruise.

I wasn't all that impressed with the picture either, but the finished product was much more appealing. The gold one I ordered is about half the size of the silver ones, and just exactly what I had in mind.

I just measured mine for you and it is 1 1/4" by 1/4" wide. More petite for a small person.

The silver with gold lettering I ordered I am not sure if I would go to the expense for again, probably would have just ordered total silver as the gold lettering is not that visible.

I am going to go back through my emails and see if I can find the corresponding order number for the gold one I have, that might also give you an idea of the sizes in comparison.

OK, back again. The one I ordered that was #100 on the order form is the one that is 1 1/4" X 1/4" wide.

My DH's is order #58 on the form is 1 5/8" X 5/8"

I also ordered several #55 on the order form and they were the same size as DH's 1 5/8" X 5/8".

I love the one I ordered for me, and the rest all love theirs too. If you don't see what you want on the form, you might take the chance to wait until you get to Egypt and see about having the time to have them made while you wait. Best of luck!

Hope that gives you a little more information.

Thank-you, you are a star! i do really appreciate you bothering to find all the information for me you have been great. I already have the tape measure on my lap.I am 5 foot 8 so maybe 100 will be to small for me and without your information i wouldn't have known this.I e-mailed Hazem back as i really wanted a gold one with a white gold background so i will see what he says and if not at least i am armed with more information thanks to you. I will let you know how it goe's thanks again. wedcruise.

If you are totally undecided about the silver with gold lettering (I never heard mention of white gold, just yellow gold and silver), just yell. I can always take a digital pic of my DH's and post it for you so you can see exactly what they look like in real life. Or I could place mine next to his so you could see the difference in sizes.

BTW-I am 5'3" and you could be right, you might want one a tad larger. I like very petite jewelry, it just seems better for me.

Will check back to this thread later and see if I need to charge the digital camera. :) :)

:) did you happen to be on the nile blue tour with us back in nov frm port said to alexandria? I believe there was about 90 of us and we did the tour with hazem and his wife and vicki. I am looking to find someone that did the camel ride and would happen to have me in one of their photos..my dh was so scared while he was riding he took no photos plus he rode in the front..I rode in the back and had my camera clicking away..anyway, i was wearing jeans and an aqua top and aqua jacket..if you find you have a photo of me on a camel could you please post here? P>S> I too loved my cartouches, we bought 4 as souveniers

:) did you happen to be on the nile blue tour with us back in nov frm port said to alexandria? I believe there was about 90 of us and we did the tour with hazem and his wife and vicki. I am looking to find someone that did the camel ride and would happen to have me in one of their photos..my dh was so scared while he was riding he took no photos plus he rode in the front..I rode in the back and had my camera clicking away..anyway' date=' i was wearing jeans and an aqua top and aqua jacket..if you find you have a photo of me on a camel could you please post here? P>S> I too loved my cartouches, we bought 4 as souveniers[/quote']

Yep, I was there. I just looked through all of my pictures of the camel ride, and sorry to say, none of anyone in an aqua top. :(

I was towards the front and the only pictures I got were those of my DH who was leading the parade, not a one of me riding the camel either, so don't feel alone on this one.

Guess we will have to go back and give it another try and get some good pictures next time. ;) Sorry, wish I could help you.

:) thanks for that..next time ..2 stirrups and ride with your spouse..wasn't it great? I hear Vicki is doing it again this Nov..

Yep, I was there. I just looked through all of my pictures of the camel ride, and sorry to say, none of anyone in an aqua top. :(

I was towards the front and the only pictures I got were those of my DH who was leading the parade, not a one of me riding the camel either, so don't feel alone on this one.

Guess we will have to go back and give it another try and get some good pictures next time. ;) Sorry, wish I could help you.

I think Vicky is doing both the October and November Egypt/Aegean cruise this year. It is so handy for her living in Rome to do this cruise.

We had thought of trying to join the October group, warmer than what we had which would be nicer, but don't think we can make it again this year. But who knows, maybe in 2009 ;) But will definitely only do the October, November was just a bit too cool for our tastes in some of the ports.

Yes, it was a wonderful vacation, but I still want to visit Mykonos................so, we'll have to return again. :)

I hope you find a picture of yourself on that camel, with all the cameras clicking that day, someone has to have one. Best of luck!

If you are totally undecided about the silver with gold lettering (I never heard mention of white gold, just yellow gold and silver), just yell. I can always take a digital pic of my DH's and post it for you so you can see exactly what they look like in real life. Or I could place mine next to his so you could see the difference in sizes.

BTW-I am 5'3" and you could be right, you might want one a tad larger. I like very petite jewelry, it just seems better for me.

Will check back to this thread later and see if I need to charge the digital camera. :) :)

If you don't mind a digital pic would be fantastic as my daughter wants a silver one and am worried #55 might be to big for her. I e-mailed poor Hazem again last night to ask him sizes of 4 other gold one's because as you said i might want one a tad bigger than yours but i don't want one a lot bigger! Anyway look forward to the photo's,thanks i will check later.:)

My silver with gold lettering cartouche just left for the day (:)) but he will return this evening. He always wears it and never leaves it behind. So, it will take at least until then then I can post a picture of them side by side.

I will place a few coins next to them, quarter, dime, etc, that will give you some sort of visual aide in the sizes.

Check back this evening or early tomorrow morning, I will post the pictures then. :) :)

Archived