Buying a cartouche

Coolcruise02

:) thanks for that..next time ..2 stirrups and ride with your spouse..wasn't it great? I hear Vicki is doing it again this Nov..

Hi Kruzin - We were with Vicki for a week in Feb for a Nile cruise during her spring break. Vicki is indeed "leading" an overnight in Oct and Nov. I'm "leading" a 10 night trip with Hazem in October as well. Being is Cairo is great but nothing compared to sights along the Nile.

:) I bought 4 #58 cartouches and they are beautiful..I am not a silver lover but didnt want to come home without one for myself...my daughter and son specifically asked for them with such comments as no more keychains or t-shirts etc can you just bring us each a cartouche? there is a website that you enter the name you want and it will show you what eygptian symbols will be on each cartouche..when you think of how little room they take up and the presentation pouch they come in I wish I had gotten more ...hazem will not steer you wrong ..his tour was the highlight of our 29day cruise and best tour we ever took :)

Here you go....................

I placed a 5 and 50 pence piece next to them for comparison as the one that asked is from the UK and I thought it might be easier for her to reference the size.

kruisin, I couldn't agree with you more.

I did count again and realized that I ordered 10 of them for us and as gifts for others. Several were doubles (one name on each side) which does increase the price to double what the brochure rate is. But son and DIL wanted both their names on each one and DH wanted my name and his name on his. Personally, my gold one, I was too cheap to order it with a name on each side, as the price for the gold ones was a lot higher than the silver (but being allergic to anything else, gold was my only option). LOL

But as you said, I liked the idea of them not taking up so much room, and still getting a great keepsake for everyone. Even with 10 of them, I carried them home in the little keepsake pouches inside my purse for safe keeping. So easy and lightweight and one of the neatest things we have ever given friends and family that we brought back from a cruise.

Just wanted to get someone's opinion on the double sided cartouch's.

Am planning to buy several for my married friends with the double sided names.

Here is the question:

Would it be proper to buy a double sided one with both names if one person is deceased. Thought it would be kind of a rememberance, but not sure how people would feel, and I do not want to ask them, but buy these as presents and surprises.

Hello...

I think that your idea of bringing cartouche's home for your friends is a lovely idea.

Re: your question about whether it would be a good idea to include a deceased spouse's name on a double sided cartouche, I think it's a very nice gesture and would be appreciated by most people who had experienced such a devastating loss. Often, there is an attempt not to mention the spouse; many people would treasure the recognition of the person they'd lost.

I have, thankfully, never been widowed, but I did lose a son several years ago. Every now and then, someone brings me something that reminded them of him and I ALWAYS treasure the sentiment.

Enjoy Egypt...It's such an amazing place....and I don't think that you can go wrong when your generous heart is in the right place.

murphysmum;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is such a nice idea you've had for your friend, Cruiseonly! She can wear the side with her name on it facing outward, with her deceased husbands name against her heart. It just seems so appropriate. I'm sure she'll really appreciate it.

Regarding the cartouches...

My husband bought me a beautiful gold cartouche while we were there iin November, but waited to put it under the Christmas tree. Mine is quite massive compared to Toto's, but then again, compared to her, I'm quite massive! LOL

Don't let the brochure pictures from Hazem worry any of you, they actually remind me of the postcards in Egypt as well - the pictures often just aren't very high quality and professional looking. The cartouches themselves are beautiful though, high quality and very, very nice.

My husband bought me a beautiful gold cartouche while we were there iin November, but waited to put it under the Christmas tree. Mine is quite massive compared to Toto's, but then again, compared to her, I'm quite massive! LOL

Vicky, NO, you are not my friend. ;)

So glad to hear you got that cartouche, is it like the one Hazem's wife wears that you admired so much? My guess is yes. Sneaky little devils those husbands can be, but in such a very nice way. :)

Vicky, NO, you are not my friend. ;)

So glad to hear you got that cartouche, is it like the one Hazem's wife wears that you admired so much? My guess is yes. Sneaky little devils those husbands can be, but in such a very nice way. :)

Hi Toto!! You had me worried there for a minute. I thought you were telling me that I was not your friend:eek: ...

...then I realized that you were saying that I was not massive.:D ROFL

That was MUCH nicer to read.

Actually my cartouche is not as big as Ghada's, but it's a very nice piece of 18 karat metal!

Hi Toto!! You had me worried there for a minute. I thought you were telling me that I was not your friend:eek: ...

...then I realized that you were saying that I was not massive.:D ROFL

That was MUCH nicer to read.

Actually my cartouche is not as big as Ghada's, but it's a very nice piece of 18 karat metal!

LOL, guess that did come out a bit wrong so it could have been read either way. (I was actually trying to stay totally away from that massive word, which doesn't fit you at all.) ;) Sorry bout that. That puncuation really can play a roll on how something comes across in type and I never realized it sounded like that. I highlighted that part of your post, guess I should have turned it to bright red to catch your eye.

Let me re-phrase.

VICKY, My Friend, No you are not massive. ;)

Again, my apology, that did sound a bit funny.

Hope you are well MY FRIEND!

On our cruise the smaller silver cartouches sold for $60. With Nile Blue we got silver ones that looked identical for $20. That's one third the price, quite like the difference in the cost of the overnight we did compared to the ship's excursion.

At any price, they make great souvenirs!

On our cruise the smaller silver cartouches sold for $60. With Nile Blue we got silver ones that looked identical for $20. That's one third the price, quite like the difference in the cost of the overnight we did compared to the ship's excursion.

At any price, they make great souvenirs!

Hi Vicky!

The silver $20 cartouches is what I bought the grandkids, the adults got the more expensive ones. What I really liked about it is I could look them in the eye and tell them that I bought them IN EGYPT, which makes them all the more special to them.

Each wears them everyday. When I returned home I bought each one a beauitful silver chain to go with them.

Definitely something you can pick up onboard the ship, but it is just so much more special if you can actually purchase it while in Egypt. IMHO!

Archived