Cruises over New Year's Holiday - worth the extra money?

I'm trying to book a cruise for either the summer months or over the New Year's holiday. DH is a teacher so these are the only times we can cruise. I would really like to try a New Year's cruise but it is $900 more than a cruise in the summer.

My PVP says the New Year's cruise is a "themed" cruise with different activities.

My question to anyone who's been on a New Year's cruise (specifically the Conquest but any will do) was there anything done that made it that much better? What sort of festivities were planned in line with the New Year's holiday? Would you do it again or take one during the summer instead?

I'm just trying to decide if its worth $900. That's a lot of confetti IMO. :p

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

My husband is also a teacher and I will say $900 more is a lot. We always cruise at Christmas although we have done Alaska a couple of summers ago and then we are doing the Splendor this summer. It is easier for our family to go at Christmas since the kids work during the summer. I would not say there is anything extra except for the New Years Eve toast along with hats and noise makers (we have been on 2 cruises that included Christmas and New Years). I do love getting away to the warmer weather during Christmas and I like the fact that huricane season is over. You might check other ships for their prices we average for a balcony room over the holidays 1249 pp and 900 for an inside although one year we were able to get in the week before Christmas and the insides were 490 and the balcony was 690.

I've sailed the week BEFORE Christmas the past two years and love it! The ships are decorated, but they aren't filled with kids and the price is much lower than the following couple of weeks.

Plus, you get home and can relax and recuperate over the holidays before returning to work. :D

You can check some of the reviews from this past holiday season and see how folks felt about those cruises. I just can't justify the additional cost. For the difference in what I pay just prior to the holidays, I can work in another, shorter cruise! It's why I'm sailing twice this year!

We have sailed on a NYE cruise and the only difference I saw was the big party up on lido deck on NYE. They had beads, free champagne (nasty tasting IMO) and a countdown with a that lights up a sign with the new year. The ship was still decorated with Christmas decorations. It really was a great party I have to admit.

We also have cruised leaving on Jan. 1st and saved a ton of money.

So if you want to pay the extra money for a big party then yes it is worth it but I think I will stick to the cruises right after the New Year.

ETA-we left on the Valor New Years day a couple of years ago and the NYE party at our hotel in Miami was probably better than the one on the ship.

Our first cruise was a New years cruise. I would not spend the extra money for a New Years cruise though. They had a New years party with hats and streamers and the hot tubs were filled with ice and champagne. Other than that it was just like any other cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tracey!

Did you book your NYE cruise? We haven't done the NYE cruise, but we have cruised over Thanksgiving and also cruised the week before Christmas. The ship is decorated for the holidays and on Thanksgiving they had a traditional turkey dinner on the menu. I will say that it didn't really feel like the holidays (guess it was because we were enjoying tropical islands and 90 degree weather).

We're doing the Mexican Riviera this summer (7/20) on the Carnival Pride. Thought about going to Hawaii, but after putting pencil to paper, it just made more $$ sense to do another cruise. We're flying to L.A. (using miles for two of the tix so only had to pay for one!) and catching the ship in Long Beach.

My son had such a great time on the Conquest last year that he can't wait for July to get here!

Good luck on your planning!:)

Chuck

We did a Xmas cruise in "05" out of San Diego, it was worth every penny w/ the balcony. As we left the harbour there was a boat parade and people were on the balconies yelling and waving. The ship was decorated with Xmas tree's and all and after formal night there was Xmas Carol singing down by the Atrium with the captain and all in attendance. Best cruise ever over the Holiday.

We were going to do a New Years cruise this past year, but instead opted to wait to sail on Jan. 4th at HALF the cost...We were still on our Xmas break, so even though the ship wasn't decorated we still felt like we were on an extension of the holiday's...Would still like to do a New Years cruise, and are eyeing one for this year, but when you're talking over a $1000 difference, I'm finding it hard to justifiy it...( For instance if we wait until Jan. 3rd next year, we can do a 7 day for almost $800 less than a 5 day would cost us over New Years)...Guess it a lot just depends on your schedule, and what you really want to pay for.

We just booked the Triumph New Years! Yes, it was a little more pricey, not all that much though to be honest, but since we have a longer school vacation this year, we thought we would go for it. Plus it gives me an excuse to do something special for my 30th b-day!

Archived