Not Wearing Formal on Majesty

We are planning a two-week trip to South Florida to visit parents-in-law and culminating in a five-day cruise on the Majesty. We are looking at this as a getaway from business obligations which require suits for both of us all year long---so I won't be taking a dress and DH won't be taking any jackets or ties. We'll both be wearing upscale resort casual clothing every evening. Will we "fit in" in the dining room on formal night, or should we plan on eating at the buffet that evening? I realize that true "formal" isn't often worn on the Majesty short cruises, but how about nice resort casual? We don't want to offend, but I'd like the more special dining environment of the main dining rooms over the buffet.

Thanks for your help!

We are planning a two-week trip to South Florida to visit parents-in-law and culminating in a five-day cruise on the Majesty. We are looking at this as a getaway from business obligations which require suits for both of us all year long---so I won't be taking a dress and DH won't be taking any jackets or ties. We'll both be wearing upscale resort casual clothing every evening. Will we "fit in" in the dining room on formal night' date=' or should we plan on eating at the buffet that evening? I realize that true "formal" isn't often worn on the Majesty short cruises, but how about nice resort casual? We don't want to offend, but I'd like the more special dining environment of the main dining rooms over the buffet.

Thanks for your help![/quote']

As long as you are in neat clothes you will likely not be turned away...may draw attention to yourself by not being as formal...but that is only one night, go enjoy pizza and the buffet that evenining if you feel uncomfortable with your dress compared to everyone else.

We skipped formal night on the weekend cruise, but also ate lunch so late we weren't hungry at the normal dining time anyhow. :eek:

Well, resort casual is NOT formal! While short cruises do tend to have less folks participating, I'd feel uncomfortable in the dining room amid suits and tuxes/gowns, in just casualwear. I don't think you'll be turned away, but you will be more "obvious"!

We've sailed on Majesty four times. We have done three 4-night cruises and one 3-night cruise. Formal night on these cruises is less "formal" than other longer cruises. By less casual I mean, women are more likely to wear cocktail dresses or even what I call "church clothes" and men are more likely to wear dark suits and ties or even dark jackets with ties. But you will see men in long sleeved shirts with ties and women in very dressy day time outfits.

You will not be turned away in what you describe. There will be all levels of "dress up" surrounding you. What I think I would do in your situation is wear dark dressy slacks and a very dressy top with strappy sandals or pumps and dressy accessories.

We are planning a two-week trip to South Florida to visit parents-in-law and culminating in a five-day cruise on the Majesty. We are looking at this as a getaway from business obligations which require suits for both of us all year long---so I won't be taking a dress and DH won't be taking any jackets or ties. We'll both be wearing upscale resort casual clothing every evening. Will we "fit in" in the dining room on formal night' date=' or should we plan on eating at the buffet that evening? I realize that true "formal" isn't often worn on the Majesty short cruises, but how about nice resort casual? We don't want to offend, but I'd like the more special dining environment of the main dining rooms over the buffet.

Thanks for your help![/quote']

It's your vacation, wear what you want. Formal is only a "suggested " attire. Not mandatory..

Archived