Aussie Gal gets quoted on radio re Australian Tipping

degarr

I agree with Kes,

Please do not tip, as it is not our custom and you are only encouraging people who normally do not receive a tip to expect one.

As Sydney receives more International visitors than anywhere else in Australia, they are getting used to the tipping game. If you do not tip, then they will not expect it.

Jennie

Jennie.. This old post was read word for word on Derren Hinch this afternoon on 3AW Talkback radio re Australian tipping FYI

David.

He quoted Cruise critic so I searched and there it was.

Its too late for that. As soon as a cabbie, waiter or any service person hears an American accent they immediately expect a tip. Fortunately, they know better than to expect that from the locals. They know that we know they get paid a decent wage (not so much the cabbies - I tip them too). But no one is going to say no to some one handing them extra cashfor their job.

The Americans seem to think if you don't tip they won't serve you; which is what does happen in USA. But they can't live on the wages they are paid. They don't realise that its their system that sucks and that we are not skinflints.

degarr.

Thanks for that. I have just been alerted to the post from a friend who is C.C. member from W.A. That post was a long time ago and it is still true. The only people we tip are our waiters in a restaurant where we give a 10% tip if the service has been good. We will round off our taxi fare to the nearest dollar but that is all.

Jennie

Hello to all the posters from Australia! I always enjoy reading your posts and points of view on our American customs, or what has become accepted by Americans. I recall tipping a grocery boy, carrying out my groceries 50 cents, which I didn't need carrying out, but loved seeing his face for a job well done. That apparently was the "old days" .I am only 57! Used to be an incentive for a job well done for the younger kids, not expected. Now it's not only expected..looked upon negatively:(

I have over the years seem to to over tip when service was exceptional, but agree with your philosophy if you are just doing your job that you were hired for..and nothing else ..why tip? Anyone have any ideas where I should move to in Australia? lol

camperhawk,

Why would you want to leave wonderful New York? We spent a week there in 2006 and just loved the city. In fact we are returning in November, 2009 after a cruise that finishes in Fort Lauderdale. I know you are only kidding!

But mind you, Australia is a great place to live and you could pick any city or town and you would find life very pleasant. I love travel but always realize on our return home, how lucky we are to live here.

Jennie

degarr,

I would be interested in knowing what Derrin talked about regarding tipping. I know he is always controversial so am intrigued how he found C.C. and took that particular post out of the "Tipping" topic.

Jennie

camperhawk,

Why would you want to leave wonderful New York? We spent a week there in 2006 and just loved the city. In fact we are returning in November, 2009 after a cruise that finishes in Fort Lauderdale. I know you are only kidding!

But mind you, Australia is a great place to live and you could pick any city or town and you would find life very pleasant. I love travel but always realize on our return home, how lucky we are to live here.

Jennie

Hello Jennie, unfortunely I don't live in NYC, but in the snow belt near Lake Ontario, which just got freezing rain again after a tough winter! So as much as I love New York State,no I'm not kidding!:D

degarr,

I would be interested in knowing what Derrin talked about regarding tipping. I know he is always controversial so am intrigued how he found C.C. and took that particular post out of the "Tipping" topic.

Jennie

He quoted "word for word" your post and attributed it to cruise critic. Maybe you should send him an email and claim royalties. It was a grab of "Fodders says this (not sure I heard this one may have been some thing else ) " "Lonely planet says that" (heard that one) and "Cruise Critic" says the OP (remembered the quote) searched it and you popped up as author... But you do post the odd comment dont you :D

David

David,

Thanks. Yes I do post the odd comment every now and then but I also believe that what we post is covered by copyright and is not supposed to be used for a radio programme or for public use. I really think that Derrin Hinch has over stepped the mark again as usual.

At the bottom of this page here is what is printed:

© 1995 - 2008, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.

"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"

All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.

Globiliser,

Very funny! :p Notice that I didn't actually state which city camperhawk should come and live in though of course if I really had to name the best one it would be Melbourne of course.;) ;) I was trying to be very diplomatic and not be the cause of any interstate rivalry between the two big ones.:) We all know that Melbourne is the second most liveable city in the world, Vancouver has only just beaten it by a whisker. :D

Jennie

as most victorians end up moving to queensland the practical thing to do would be for camperhawk to come straight to brisbane as it would save all the expense of having to move again after a year or so in melbourne :D :D :D

David,

Thanks. Yes I do post the odd comment every now and then but I also believe that what we post is covered by copyright and is not supposed to be used for a radio programme or for public use. I really think that Derrin Hinch has over stepped the mark again as usual.

At the bottom of this page here is what is printed:

© 1995 - 2008, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.

"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"

All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.

I was merely flagging you had been referenced on the airwaves rather than suggesting © issue.

as most victorians end up moving to queensland the practical thing to do would be for camperhawk to come straight to brisbane as it would save all the expense of having to move again after a year or so in melbourne :D :D :D

www.abs.gov.au as to who moves where, when and the demographic in Australia :D

Its too late for that. As soon as a cabbie, waiter or any service person hears an American accent they immediately expect a tip. Fortunately, they know better than to expect that from the locals. They know that we know they get paid a decent wage (not so much the cabbies - I tip them too). But no one is going to say no to some one handing them extra cashfor their job.

The Americans seem to think if you don't tip they won't serve you; which is what does happen in USA. But they can't live on the wages they are paid. They don't realise that its their system that sucks and that we are not skinflints.

Well what about Canadians? same thing we are just as big tippers as the Americans. Tipping is expected in this country too and I'm sure every Canadian will tip when they go to places like Australia. It's not that we want to throw our money around, it's that we don't know any better, it's always been this way. If service is good we tip. I know that this topic always seems to come up, we get these lectures about tipping. It's good to know though and I have to keep remembering when we go to Aus or Europe.

In fact most places in Europe add the tip automatically - you don't have a choice you have to pay it even if the service is terrible. I know that in places like Germany the tip is an automatic 7 percent and higher in some of the other countries. I prefer the tip to be optional as in North America.

The wages in the service industry in Canada are the same as in the US, it's the market that decides the wages not the government.

My daughter had a part time job at a bar which helped her through University. She was making the normal Canadian minimum wage(same as the US), but with tips she was making really good money.

She is now attending Griffith University in the Gold Coast and working at a pub in Surfers Paradise.

Everyone was telling her she would make twice as much money in Aus - yes the hourly wage is higher but without tips she is actually making less.

The tipping guides here so not to tip the owners of a Hair Salon. Only the employees, stylists, shampoo people and so on.

Maybe that is why Canadian clients do not tip you. You own the place.

I have nine staff, I was referring to them..I did NOT use the words "tip me"

The staff do get tips from Aussies though..go figure??

Archived