Budget Queen - Healy, Alaska

Gibson Gambler

Thought you would like to know that we recently stayed at Touch of Wildnerness B&B. What a beautiful place it was. Great view and scrumptous breakfast.

Spoke to Barb (owner) and mentioned that their b&b was mentioned on cruise critic. Of course, she said your name. Thought you would be interested.

Also, have read many of your posts and appreciated all the knowledge you shared about Alaska.

Thanks again.

As far as I know - Barb doesn't know who I am. I have never mentioned it nor has she??? I have only been found out twice- that I know of. I never disclose it. Thank you for the kind words. :)

I presume this nick means you are a frugal shopper :) What would be your ideal land/cruise for Alaska.. month.. to go.. places to see.. time on a cruise.. which line.. and now the goodie.. the price

We would like to see Alaska perhaps in 05 or 06

Thanks

Jim

Take out a few hours of time and read back this board's posts. You will get the info you are looking for. Also head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, also THE MILEPOST. I am no fan of crusietours- extremely costly for what you get. Superior can be going independent- extremely easy. But head to a travel agent and pick up various Alaska brochures, read over the tour descriptions and see what is of interest. Going independent goes to the same areas- BUT with the added bonus of seeing all the "small stuff" that is so Alaska AND areas pertaining to YOUR interests. Add at least 5 days independent- ideally more. I go cheap- staying in B$B's using http://www.toursaver.com I clearly see and do twice as much for half the cost of the cruisetours. This past trip of 15 days- kept my budget under $80/night lodging.

Take out a few hours of time and read back this board's posts. You will get the info you are looking for. Also head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, also THE MILEPOST. I am no fan of crusietours- extremely costly for what you get. Superior can be going independent- extremely easy. But head to a travel agent and pick up various Alaska brochures, read over the tour descriptions and see what is of interest. Going independent goes to the same areas- BUT with the added bonus of seeing all the "small stuff" that is so Alaska AND areas pertaining to YOUR interests. Add at least 5 days independent- ideally more. I go cheap- staying in B$B's using www.toursaver.com I clearly see and do twice as much for half the cost of the cruisetours. This past trip of 15 days- kept my budget under $80/night lodging.

I was more interested in what the cruise costs.. how to keep that at a minimum.. Land stuff I know how to econimze and still be very comfortable.

But So many ships .. so many prices.. Id like to do something that will keep our airline costs down.. like returning to the same origination port if possible.

But we would for sure want to see the glaciers..

Thanks

All cruises do a glacier "stop" and usually 3 ports. Round trips are out of Seattle and Vancouver- with Vancouver my clear preference. Also a couple out of San Francisco. If you look at shoulder season- May can offer some very good deals as can end of August- but strongly think about sailing past the first week of Sept. Last 2 years have been good- but overall, can have significant weather problems. After you book- keep track of pricing trends and immediately contact your booking agent and request an adjustment. Consider looking at several on line sites, do your homework and know what you want- if you need hand holding your booking choices will be limited. Consider placing an "ad" on http://www.cruisemates.com shopping board. I picked up my last Alaska cruise this way and didn't come across a lower fare. Cheapest booking will be for an inside- I always go with a guarantee.

All cruises do a glacier "stop" and usually 3 ports. Round trips are out of Seattle and Vancouver- with Vancouver my clear preference. Also a couple out of San Francisco. If you look at shoulder season- May can offer some very good deals as can end of August- but strongly think about sailing past the first week of Sept. Last 2 years have been good- but overall, can have significant weather problems. After you book- keep track of pricing trends and immediately contact your booking agent and request an adjustment. Consider looking at several on line sites, do your homework and know what you want- if you need hand holding your booking choices will be limited. Consider placing an "ad" on www.cruisemates.com shopping board. I picked up my last Alaska cruise this way and didn't come across a lower fare. Cheapest booking will be for an inside- I always go with a guarantee.

Thanks a heap :)

Archived