Aurfares for Transatlantic

Len3

• 2 weeks later...
We booked Swiss Air and the price was better than aer Lingus.

Sometimes Swiss is cheaper than Aer Lingus by a few dollars. And Swiss is another fine airline.

One big advantage with AerLingus over Swiss-you clear immigration in Dublin/Shannon, NOT the USA. So when you arrive USA, you bypass the often VERY long lines at immigration. Get off the plane, grab your luggage, walk it through customs, and either hand your luggage back to the transit desk if you have another flight or just out the door to home. Saves quite a bit of time and frustration.

How come you clear immigration in Dublin?

USA immigration officers in both Dublin and Shannon. Pre-clearance similar to Canada and some Caribbean Islands. It is absolutely wonderful not to have to stand in a LOOOOONG line at JFK/BOS/ORD

greatam, You recommended Aer Lingus to me previously for our November TA. We need BOS to BCN but their website comes back with................

"Flights do not operate on your selected travel date/s. Aer Lingus operates from Apr 14 2007 - Oct 25 2008 on days Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun"

What am I missing? (or doing wrong! :o )

I'm not expert in the ins and outs of the Aer Lingus website, but I do know that even now there are only certain European destinations to which you can book a through ticket; there are other destinations where you must buy two separate tickets.

It looks like one possible explanation is that from schedule change day at the start of the northern winter season 2008/9, Barcelona is no longer a destination to which you can buy a through ticket.

Thanks Globaliser, that was the solution. I can't book BOS to BCN but I can book BOS to DUB then DUB to BCN.

We used custom air with RCCL so it's too late now but at least now I understand why I couldn't get anywhere and know how to check pricing the next time!

Thanks Globaliser, that was the solution. I can't book BOS to BCN but I can book BOS to DUB then DUB to BCN.

We used custom air with RCCL so it's too late now but at least now I understand why I couldn't get anywhere and know how to check pricing the next time!

I'm sorry, I thought I posted before when you asked the question. Either wait and see if AerLingus opens the schedule up to through booking or book it as two separate tickets. The USA baggage allowance applies to intra Europe flights IF departure is within two weeks of "across the pond" departure-another BIGGIE in my book.

"For Aer Lingus journeys between North America and UK/Europe, the baggage allowance for North America flights will apply to the entire journey within two weeks of initial departure date."

The plane arrives from BOS about 5:30AM this fall (two planes per day-you have to take the early one). Plane leaves for BCN (only one flight per day) at 7:10AM. Plenty of time to make the connection. Dublin and Shannon are both VERY easy airports. I am SOOOO glad AA is still flying to Dublin (they discontinued Shannon). Makes getting to the Continent VERY easy for me.

There's no need to be sorry greatam. You may have told me and I just didn't understand. Sometimes I can be a bit dense. :o :o What's important is I know for the next time. .............. Besides, when I check the fares and the flights home from FLL the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we did okay with custom air (even with the upcharge).

Thanks for your help and for being so patient!

Archived