Aqaba, Jordan - Help, Please!

TxnAquarian

Hi all,

I will be going on a 14-day Dubai to Athens cruise in May. I am starting to plan my adventures ashore and have questions for anyone familiar with the stop in Aqaba. The port preceeding Aqaba is Safaga, Egypt, where we will be on a 12-hour excursion to Luxor. The port after Aqaba is Alexandria, Egypt, where we will do a 12-hour excursion to Cairo/Pyramids. Since we will be on such tour-intensive stops, I was wondering if the 9-hour tour for Aqaba (to Petra) is a must-do. The other alternative is a 4-hour desert safari to Wadi Rum. Getting to see the desert is one of my must-do's on this trip. Would it be a mistake to skip Petra and do the desert safari and then spend the rest of the day with a private guide in Aqaba? Or is Petra such a must-see that we can't leave Aqaba without doing that tour?

Any help, please??

Michael

We have been to both Petra and Wadi Rum. Petra is an old Roman trading city and is fascinating. Wadi Rum (where Lawrence of Arabia led the fight against the Ottomans) is pure desert. Both were wonderful. While I would prefer Petra if I had to pick just one, I understand your concern with the two long excursions the day before and after. I would probably pick Wadi Rum in your situation.

I spent 10 days in Jordan and love this country and feel sorry you have to make a choice. IF you can possibly come back to this wonderful country, I would wait to see Petra because to do it justice you need at least several days.

If you don't think you will be back, then by all means gut it out and take the long trip to Petra even for only a few hours. The Siq passage way and the Treasury (featured in Raiders of the Lost Ark) are the most stunning monuments in the Ancient World. These are Nabaatan monuments, not Roman and this was a link in the frankensense and myrrh trading routes.

Petra does require quite a bit of walking on some gravelly paths and everyone has to walk into the Siq though you can rent a horse cart for the first part of the journey down, though not very far to be worth it. It slopes slightly down hill to get to the famous slit in the rock that opens to the gorgeously preserved Treasury building carving. Which means it is an uphill grade when you return.

The other treasures of this incredible site take several hours more to reach such as the Monestary and the High Place of Sacrifice - these are the reasons to spend several days here as there is much to see and much to just sit and savor. But even a quickie day trip just to see the highlights in the entry portion are worth it, if you don't plan on returning.

Wadi Rum is interesting, but not as compelling as Petra. Try to see Lawrence of Arabia again before you go if this is your choice. It is nice if you can include a fireside meal in the desert and watch the sun go down as the play of light on the weird rock formations is part of the grandeur here. This trip is mostly by 4WDrive vehicles over rough terrain so both trips are somewhat physically demanding. This one is best if you have any limitations walking and it much closer to Aqaba.

One other alternative is snorkeling in Aqaba - Club Marjan is run by the Hotel Alcazar PADI Diving Center and they can arrange tours to snorkeling sites. Red Sea is famous for diving, but this is also something you can do at other Egyptian stops so it is not the most compelling thing to do here, but does make a good choice if the other two options don't work out. I liked poking around Aqaba and eating those wonderful desserts on display in the cafes in the older historic parts of town.

Bottomline: Petra - Petra - Petra - it deserved winning a coveted spot among the "new" Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - nothing else like it for beauty and drama of site and situation.

But choices two and three are not bad either. Think about going back to this country for a week or so - and you can rent a car and travel independently and stay in wonderful Swiss Movenpik hotels in all key spots, including the very beautiful one in Petra and really get to know this fascinating country with the most friendly and generous people you will meet anywhere. It is always "Welcome in Jordan" and they mean it. One of my most favorite countries anywhere.

In my opinion Petra is the 'must see'...there is no where else like it ....an absolutely amazing place....and surely you will see plenty of desert in the other places!!! especially as you will be going up the Suez canal to Alexandria with the Sinai desert on one side all the way up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We were posed with exactly the same problem last Jan when we visited Aqaba. Two nights before arrival in Aqaba at a dinner table we told a fellow traveller " we couldnt be bothered with another long drive and would forgo the visit to Petra" Their response was unbelievable. They had booked the cruise PURELY to visit Petra and couldnt believe we wouldnt visit it being so close. We rethought our decision and grudgingly decided to go to Petra........what can I say as I write this tears are coming to my eyes with what I saw there. Never have I been so amazed at anything like it, it was the best day out on any cruise we have ever done and we've done plenty. I believe if you dont see it soon it may be carelessly wiped out as there is no real protection for the site from the volume of visitors. Do yourself a favour and get out of bed and GO. You will regret it that night when you hear the incredible stories from fellow guests if you dont. Email me if you need any more as I dont normally respond to or write comments on these boards, but I couldnt stay quiet after seeing your indecision. have a great time. Simon simon@simonpotter.net

Having travelled to all the continents, my husband and I have compiled a list of our "wonders of the world" - places worth a trip from anywhere to see.

Petra heads the list.

Another vote for Petra...It was amazing! Truly not to be missed....There is a reason it is one of the new 7 Wonders of the World!

We walked miles & miles and rode donkeys up to the high sacred place and the monestary then walked down....did it all in one day...even after 9 days in Egypt (including 6 night Nile cruise), Petra was a highlight of our holiday!

Archived